Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

getting ready to rebuild primary

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 05:49 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default getting ready to rebuild primary

have in hand everything to rebuild my primary (SE compensator, clutch basket, starter, like new inner primary case) bike is an 07 ultra with 11K. its been doing the bang grind thing on start off and on when hot , Also have been finding metal chips on oil mag plug. Plan on doing the inner primary bearing and inner seals. Got a manual and the tools to extract the bearing race for the inner primary. got enough press type tools laying around to make something to pull the inner primary bearing. going to do the primary case grind on a like new take off case before I install it, in the event I need to pull the stator in the future. got torque wrenches and tools as well as the chain lock tool.

want to check in before I start in case there are any gotch you's that you folks will say is not in the manual and if I had checked in first, would of learned about it from peers.

Will be putting in the stage II spring on the clutch basket. once Im done with the primary and everything road test OK, will be doing a 103" stage II upgrade.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:53 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

You didn't mention a tool to install the inner primary race; assume you have one. You don't need tools to R/R the inner primary bearing. Once you remove the primary chain you have no way to keep the mainshaft from turning when you R/R the inner primary race. You will need to slide the trans pulley back on the mainshaft and, with a proper tool or some homemade tool, hold the trans pulley/mainshaft when you R/R the inner race.

Some guys remove the trans cover on top and put the trans in two gears at once to hold the mainshaft but I have the tool so have never done that.

If you are replacing the innner race with the OEM part, use some Loctite 680; those races have been known to walk in/out when the motor output approaches 100TQ/HP.

The "gotchas" don't happen until you get into the middle of the project.