Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

pulls while starting (clutch lever fully in)

Old 10-20-2011, 09:40 AM
svt_ct
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulls while starting (clutch lever fully in)

When starting my bike (2007 Street Bob) in gear while holding the clutch all the way in I can feel the engine barely pulling the bike forward. Starting in neutral it doesnt do this. NOTE: I am definately holding the clutch all the way in.

Does my clutch need adjustment or is this normal?

Old 10-20-2011, 10:25 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Normal! Start in neutral.

Clutch plates / discs tend to stick together and create drag when starting, especially cold.

After the bike is started and warm it should not "creep" with the clutch lever pulled to the bars, while in gear. If it does, then a clutch adjustment is needed.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:28 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Adjustment may lessen the problem, but it may or may not cure it.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:21 PM
TFTCAR
Road Captain
Smile

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Normal! Start in neutral.
Read this very carefully. When you are finished reading it I would suggest you reread it. One day as sure as God made little green apples the bike will lurch forward and you will not be able to hold it.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:51 AM
svt_ct
Intermediate

For the technical advice, thanks JohnnyC and miacycles.

For the strange, patronizing, slightly condescending warning, I guess you try to mean well in your own way TFT ..... BTW I always start in neutral with the clutch lever also pulled in, but stuff happens. "As sure as god made green apples" everyone will mistakenly start it in gear at some point.

I'm glad to hear the slight pull is normal during starting, but is it normal to have a slight drag with the engine off, in gear, clutch pulled in and slowly moving the bike? (I don't move the bike around like this, it was just something I checked after noticing the starting-in-gear lurch.) NOTE: The bike does not creep while the engine is running, in gear, and clutch pulled in - whether warm or cold.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:20 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by svt_ct
... is it normal to have a slight drag with the engine off, in gear, clutch pulled in and slowly moving the bike? (I don't move the bike around like this, it was just something I checked after noticing the starting-in-gear lurch.) NOTE: The bike does not creep while the engine is running, in gear, and clutch pulled in - whether warm or cold.
The answer to your question is the same. Without the engine spinning and sliding the clutch discs and plates you will always have "drag" with the bike in gear, not running, and the clutch lever pulled ... It's the nature of the beast.

And if you do get the bike started in gear with the clutch pulled WATCH OUT! It WILL pull forward slightly. You need to be prepared to use the front brake when starting like this because the bike will want to creep forward right away.

Also if you don't make a habit out of neutral starts you will do what we all do on occasions ... attempt to start it in gear without clutching or braking and have the bike lurch forward, and possibly right off from under you!

I've even heard of a bike firing in gear and taking off, all in one swift move...like a wild bronc leaping from a rodeo gate.

This is unlike a car, and possibly other bikes. But consistently is the issue with Harleys.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 10-25-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:53 PM
svt_ct
Intermediate

Originally Posted by svt_ct
...I always start in neutral with the clutch lever also pulled in, but stuff happens....
Thanks again JohnnyC.

NOTE: I never start in gear unless it's by mistake; and the bike pulling during a mistaken in-gear start is why I started this thread.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:55 PM
MattInFla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple solution - be in the habit of pulling both levers when you hit the starter button.

Even if you start in gear by mistake, the drag from the clutch isn't going to overwhelm your front brake.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:32 PM
svt_ct
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MattInFla
Simple solution - be in the habit of pulling both levers when you hit the starter button.
We haven't talked about brakes until now but that is what I always do.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:47 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member

I should have added "older" Harleys.

I think the newer bikes have some sort of fail-safe design where the starter won't crank until you pull the clutch, or does it have to be in neutral too?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pulls while starting (clutch lever fully in)