Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/primary-transmission-driveline-clutch-54/)
-   -   Automatic Primary Chain Tension Adjuster (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/primary-transmission-driveline-clutch/703611-automatic-primary-chain-tension-adjuster.html)

hillcountryflt 11-01-2011 03:26 PM

Automatic Primary Chain Tension Adjuster

Anyone driving Pre-2007 touring bikes install this unit (40063-05B)?

0734 11-06-2011 07:08 PM

I don't know if that is the HD part number, but IMHO....don't fool with the HD auto chain tensioner. Get a Hayden M6, or one of the other brands. If you lived close by....I would give you an HD tensioner out of my junk bin.

soft 02 11-06-2011 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1550vt (Post 9015673)
I don't know if that is the HD part number, but IMHO....don't fool with the HD auto chain tensioner. Get a Hayden M6, or one of the other brands. If you lived close by....I would give you an HD tensioner out of my junk bin.

The Hayden M6 unit looks like a simple and strong unit for the price! Still prefer my auto unit but I'm sure its more expensive than others.

0734 11-07-2011 06:13 AM

I just prefer the Hayden M6 and "like" models as they are so much simpler and have fewer moving parts....as in one spring. If you have one in there that works, I'd say leave it in, but if you are purchasing one, the simpler Hayden M6 (or similar) can be purchased for the same price.

If you look at pictures of each...you can see what I mean. It's just a matter of opinion and I like the KISS principle.

traveler 11-07-2011 06:23 AM

Had an "HB 125" in my last bike.....seemed to work fine.

~Joe

hillcountryflt 11-07-2011 08:11 AM

I am not getting any issues right now, but looking at a couple of lower dollar improvements I can make when I get my 10K work done. I am going to let my indy handle this one (he can do harley warranty work). The chain tensioner seemed like a reasonable upgrade. I am kind of looking at a hayden chain tensioner for my shovelhead as an approach to improved shifting.

0734 11-07-2011 08:23 AM

I am not trying to sell an M6 and Traveler has mentioned another one he liked. It's just the HD version has 10-15 "moving parts" and all of that is totally unnecessary and it's way over engineered. If you poke around the forums, you will find some information from others concerning the dislike for the HD auto-tensioner. These other models apply simple spring tension under the shoe and maintain constant pressure. Yes...my experience has been that they will improve shifting as they keep the slap and slack out of the primary chain.

Lakerat 11-07-2011 09:30 AM

I put an M6 in my FXR about 5 years and 45K ago and will be putting one in the Ultra the first time I need to remove the outer primary cover. The simplicity of the spring is much more attractive than the hydraulic units or multiple moving parts.