Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Screamin’ Eagle® Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump Upgrade Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Merlin
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Screamin’ Eagle® Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump Upgrade Kit

I just had the Screamin’ Eagle® Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump Upgrade Kit installed on both bikes
Part # 25284-11

This is what the Cam chain adjusters from a twin cam engine with 30,000 miles. (not mine thank goodness)
Note the excessive wear on the rear adjuster and debris found laying in the bottom of the case.

I changed this out because...
1) I no longer wanted to worry about the OE stock parts breaking apart and the cost of replacing them every 20k
2) The Screamin’ Eagle® High-Flow Oil Pump has improved flow. I'm now getting 30psi at a stop light rather than 0

How Does It Work?

The cam plate is CNC-machined billet aluminum and is heat-treated to 6061-T6 specifications to enhance its ability to support high valve spring pressures on cam lobes.

The larger pump rotors increase the oil supply by 23% and scavenging by 50% when compared to the ‘99-’05 OE oil pump. The increased oil flow reduces operating temperature of bearings to improve bearing life

Fitment: Fits ’99-’05 Dyna® models, ’00-’06 Softail® models and ’99-’06 Touring models. Installation requires separate purchase of Spacer Kit, P/N 25285-08; Cam Service Kit, P/N 17045-99D; and Drive Gear Retention Kit, P/N 25533-99A.

All 2000-2006 V-Twin owners should be aware of cam chain adjuster wear and potential cam bearing failure. The pitch on the cam gears can vary from bike to bike or more so cam to cam. When the gear pitch varies the cam chain will wear prematurely and can cause the chain to develop burns and cause the chain to stiffen up. This can eat into the soft phenolic cam chain tensioner shoes like a chain saw. Debris from worn parts can be sucked up into the oil pump and cause damage to the pump and jam the pressure relief valve. Oil light flickering or blown oil filter seal can result. If the debris gets in your bottom end it will get very expensive to repair!