Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Transmission Sprocket Locking Tool

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 03:55 PM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Transmission Sprocket Locking Tool

Thought I would post this as it might save someone some cash or aggravation. I needed to replace the neutral switch on my girlfriend's Sportster and the Moco conveniently put it behind the sprocket. I had to make a new tool to lock the sprocket since I left all that kind of stuff back in the States when I moved.

I cut a 2x4 into a triangle and nailed a piece of an old final drive belt onto it. Just a couple small nails works fine because when it wedges in, the force holds it in place more than the nails do. I had to go ask the dealer if they had an old belt that they were going to throw away since I haven't blown a belt since I moved here and surprise, they gave me one. First picture shows the block with the belt nailed on, second shows it in the loosening position, third shows it in the tightening position. (That's assuming that you have a left handed nut. The Moco is making some of them as right handed now.)

Fourth picture shows my homemade sprocket nut socket. It's a 3/4" drive 1-7/8" socket that cost around $11 that I cut the top off of. I welded a 6" piece of 2" pipe in between the top and bottom of the socket. A piece of nylon cutting board cut with a 2" hole saw works as the bushing to save your transmission shaft. I also flipped the socket so that the cut part is out since most sockets are tapered at the end. That way the teeth of the socket extend all the way to the outer end of the socket which is nice because the sprocket nut is pretty thin.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission Sprocket Locking Tool-sprocketlock01.jpg   Transmission Sprocket Locking Tool-sprocketlock02.jpg   Transmission Sprocket Locking Tool-sprocketlock03.jpg   Transmission Sprocket Locking Tool-sprocketsocket.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by 95yj:
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com (11-30-2020), Espo61 (12-02-2020)
Old 08-25-2012, 04:00 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Excellent

The following users liked this post:
Espo61 (12-02-2020)
Old 02-03-2013, 10:58 PM
Outlaw7x77
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95yj
Thought I would post this as it might save someone some cash or aggravation. I needed to replace the neutral switch on my girlfriend's Sportster and the Moco conveniently put it behind the sprocket. I had to make a new tool to lock the sprocket since I left all that kind of stuff back in the States when I moved.

I cut a 2x4 into a triangle and nailed a piece of an old final drive belt onto it. Just a couple small nails works fine because when it wedges in, the force holds it in place more than the nails do. I had to go ask the dealer if they had an old belt that they were going to throw away since I haven't blown a belt since I moved here and surprise, they gave me one. First picture shows the block with the belt nailed on, second shows it in the loosening position, third shows it in the tightening position. (That's assuming that you have a left handed nut. The Moco is making some of them as right handed now.)

Fourth picture shows my homemade sprocket nut socket. It's a 3/4" drive 1-7/8" socket that cost around $11 that I cut the top off of. I welded a 6" piece of 2" pipe in between the top and bottom of the socket. A piece of nylon cutting board cut with a 2" hole saw works as the bushing to save your transmission shaft. I also flipped the socket so that the cut part is out since most sockets are tapered at the end. That way the teeth of the socket extend all the way to the outer end of the socket which is nice because the sprocket nut is pretty thin.
Is that a sportster your working on the Left hand threads?

Old 03-02-2013, 03:29 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks, I just ordered the socket online and was about to order the locking tool. You just saved me 100.00+. Wish I would have found this sight 15 min earlier.

Toby

Old 03-02-2013, 07:21 PM
theracenut
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool tools, I always like to see alternative solutions

The following users liked this post:
Espo61 (12-02-2020)
Old 03-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very smart but I'll bet she couldn't appreciate it.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:58 PM
1BADV6
Stage I

Why the modified socket? Wont a standard socket work?

Old 07-13-2014, 12:51 AM
twist1
4th Gear

Would love to see the attached images. Still need two posts. New member ? 12/25/11?

Old 11-29-2020, 01:39 AM
Harley1004
Club Member

Received 443 Likes on 382 Posts

I tried making your tool, but no matter how hard I tried to wedge it up in there, the police would just go on past it

Old 12-01-2020, 08:19 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley1004
I tried making your tool, but no matter how hard I tried to wedge it up in there, the police would just go on past it
The police have a tendency to do that

Quick Reply: Transmission Sprocket Locking Tool