Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/primary-transmission-driveline-clutch-54/)
-   -   5th and 6th gear clutch slip (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/primary-transmission-driveline-clutch/823236-5th-and-6th-gear-clutch-slip.html)

bikerbehaviorist 11-13-2012 08:24 AM

5th and 6th gear clutch slip

Hello all, I am getting a slip when I get on the throttle in 5th and 6th gear at higher speeds. I hear the and see the rpms go up but not the speed and then it will catch and I will accelerate. It is not happening in lower gears, it does not happen every time in 5th and 6th but it does seem to be happening more often. Bike has 59K on it and I am wondering if I need new clutch disks??? If so what's the best replacement for a 103 motor and is it any harder to do than a clutch on an old shovel head? Oh I guess I could do an adjustment first too, but also wanted opinions from folks here - thanks in advance!

omgtkk 11-13-2012 09:37 AM

"Oh I guess I could do an adjustment first too"

Uh...Yeah.
Absolute first thing would be to go through the complete clutch and clutch cable adjustment procedure to try to remedy the slip before dumping time and money into a new set of disks. It could be a 15 minute no-cost adjustment rather than a $100+ several hours rebuild.

bikerbehaviorist 11-13-2012 11:38 AM

Yeah gee thanks, I will adjust it. Just wanted to capture the wisdom of this group & I am only getting the slipping in 5 & 6th gear.

corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com 11-13-2012 03:39 PM

read the older post four down from yours titled "2012 RG Ultra drop a gear clutch slips"

bikerbehaviorist 11-25-2012 10:55 AM

Finally got around to an adjustment - and it did not work-still getting slip in high gear high RPM >3K in 5th and 6th. Could smell burnt fluid or disk or both when I pulled the derby to do the adjustment. One question is there any other diagnosis to this problem other than bad disks? I have an extended warranty, but know the disks are wearable item and not covered, but would hate to do this on my own and have it not be the problem.... Oh one more question if I need them what is the best clutch pack to buy for a 103??

Hogpro 11-25-2012 11:00 AM

Do you have an S/E clutch spring or the stock clutch spring? My Dyna is doing the same thing (except it is only a 5 speed) and I am going to slap a new spring it in first and readjust to see if that does the trick. IF not I'll get eh new clutch plates and metal rings.

bikerbehaviorist 11-25-2012 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Hogpro (Post 10591308)
Do you have an S/E clutch spring or the stock clutch spring? My Dyna is doing the same thing (except it is only a 5 speed) and I am going to slap a new spring it in first and readjust to see if that does the trick. IF not I'll get eh new clutch plates and metal rings.

heavy duty spring, replacing just the spring might be a good idea

Hogpro 11-25-2012 03:03 PM

I'm doing this as I already have the spring but not the plates. I am sure it would benefit from new plates as I don't know what the previous owner did, but I'll still do the spring first.

bikerbehaviorist 11-28-2012 09:09 AM

Local Indy is recommending Screaming eagle clutch pack 37980-10 or the alto carbonite. There is also a barnett kit any one have any preference??

grbrown 11-28-2012 09:25 AM

I have a set of Barnett clutch springs and HD spring. Good products! SE should be fine, especially if your indy has them in stock. If you can afford the time, it would be worth dismantling your clutch first, to see what condition it is in.

If some obscure part worth a few cents has failed, it would be a shame to have spent out on a shiny new clutch when you don't need one! If you are not familiar with this, your indy can probably do whatever needs to be done in a blink!