Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Fluid leaking from clutch cable at adjuster/ Primary Vent clogged

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Bogie2x
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid leaking from clutch cable at adjuster/ Primary Vent clogged

2007 HD SPORTSTER 1200C
I have a small leak at the adjuster in the clutch cable. I took it to a mechanic (Not HD) and he said I needed a new clutch cable. Even though I mentioned it may be that the primary vent is clogged. (Based on internet research). He didn’t pay much attention to that. So of course I pay for a new Clutch cable and 2 days later, leaks again. Long story short, I take it back again, he talks to some guys and he says primary vent is clogged. He tells me the cost to remove half the engine to get to it isn’t worth the cost, so I can just drill a hole in the back of primary and add a check valve so it can vent or just live with the small leak. Really?
So assuming it really is a clogged vent, can anyone help me with these questions?
1. The vent hose is attached by a clamp but is not very accessible. It’s nestled under the cylinder head and starter. Personally I don’t think the hose as any obstruction in it and I did use air pressure and a wire best I could to clear out hose. Is the vent hose attached to some sort of check valve and maybe that valve is clogged?
2. Any ideas how to remove and check or replace without dismantling engine or removing the starter?
3. I have looked thru my HD Manuel and on line and can’t really find anything by HD indicating this vent hose. Why?
4. So assuming pressure was built up in the primary and the clutch cable adjuster was the weakest point to release fluid, is the clutch cable seal blew out now?
Little background on my bike. I just bought it from a guy who bought it for his wife new in 2007. She never got into it, so it basically has been garaged for 6 years. It had 211 miles on it. Maybe since it sat so long the vent got clogged basically from lack of use and it’s a rare thing and that’s why I can find anything on it. Cause a 6 year old bike with 211 miles is a pretty rare thing.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:50 AM
Bogie2x
Stage II
Default so know one here has any advise at all

So no one with an XL 1200 engine ever had to remove the tranny vent of have any knowledge of where I can get some real info? I just ordered the Clymer manual since 2007 HD Sportster manual doesn't even recognize that they have it on there engine and what its even for. Any advise would be appreciated. thanks

Old 11-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Rickwilson6
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Bogie2x
So no one with an XL 1200 engine ever had to remove the tranny vent of have any knowledge of where I can get some real info? I just ordered the Clymer manual since 2007 HD Sportster manual doesn't even recognize that they have it on there engine and what its even for. Any advise would be appreciated. thanks
i just bought a 2003 with the same issue what is the fix