Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/primary-transmission-driveline-clutch-54/)
-   -   Open primary thought? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/primary-transmission-driveline-clutch/963472-open-primary-thought.html)

TSewell 05-03-2014 12:01 PM

Open primary thought?

I am in the process of having a bike built right now. Its a Arlen Ness FXR pro-street frame with a 1340 Evo and Dyna 5 speed. We will be turning it into a "bagger" as my wife and I plan on some long rides with this one. It has over $3k in adjustable suspension and its all rubber mounted. So it we thought it would make a good road bike.

That being said it has a 3" BDL open primary on it right now that I thought I wanted. But I was talking to a gentleman about my build and its purpose and he told me to sell the open and buy a closed. He told me horror stories of friends he knows that have jacked up legs from open primary's, from either a boot lace or pants getting caught.

My BDL kit does have a cover that wont allow my pants to get in there. But I wanted to get some others input on this. This is my first time dealing with a open primary. If you have any pros, or cons, or some general knowledge on the subject please share.

TSewell 05-06-2014 07:08 PM

??????(cricket, cricket, cricket)..... No one? LOL. Hard to believe that 81 views and no one has any creditable insight to this. :rolleyes:

corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com 05-07-2014 07:59 AM

I burnt the bottom of my shoe off with one in Daytona one year does that count.

soft 02 05-07-2014 08:09 AM

Well my uncles neighbors friends sister knew a guy who was pulled off his bike cause of an open primary. Some say they are very dangerous.

TSewell 05-07-2014 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by soft 02 (Post 12692556)
Well my uncles neighbors friends sister knew a guy who was pulled off his bike cause of an open primary. Some say they are very dangerous.

That seems to be the story i get alot. Somebody knew someone who had a undcle that had a freind who knew someone. But then i talk to people who actually have them and the only complaint they have is the noise they make. And they also say with a propper guard you have nothing to worry about. I think at this point im just going to run it and see how i like.

soft 02 05-07-2014 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by TSewell (Post 12692779)
That seems to be the story i get alot. Somebody knew someone who had a undcle that had a freind who knew someone. But then i talk to people who actually have them and the only complaint they have is the noise they make. And they also say with a propper guard you have nothing to worry about. I think at this point im just going to run it and see how i like.

Good move. Other people are good at spending your money. If you run into an issue then you can make an educated decision.