Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Do I need to replace my clutch plates?

Old 08-12-2014, 06:50 PM
bradleys
Tourer
Received 143 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Do I need to replace my clutch plates?

I have a 2004 Road King Classic

I am posting this question in a more technical area to see if you guys can help me figure out my next step.

I am having a difficult time adjusting my clutch after installing a new clutch cable... I am wondering if it might be time for a new clutch pack – let me know what you think.

As normal, collapse the cable adjuster, loosen the locking nut, turn the adjuster screw in until you feel a little resistance and back it out half a turn - lock down with the locking nut adjust out the cable adjuster and the Clutch is adjusted!

When I go to adjust the cable, I end up running it completely out and I still have just a little slack in the line. And the worst part is the clutch isn't completely engaging. Clutch lever pulled completely in I can still feel a little pull from the engine. Once the engine gets warm it becomes hard to downshift and you can forget neutral while the engine is running. I am not getting full clutch release.

Tonight I opened everything back up, no half turn off of resistance (not too far in) - lock it down. Cable adjusted out to a reasonable place, clutch lever much easier to pull (over the hump), full release clutch release between shifts.

So, I know I am definitely getting a better pull - but I worry that I may have at least some open clutch all the time.

Bike pulls well and no slipping that I can tell..

Yes - I still have 1/16" free play at the hand lever.

Normally with a worn clutch, I would expect slipping, but maybe this is just another symptom?

Old 08-13-2014, 06:44 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Try this, after backing off the lock nut run the adjuster screw all the way in to make sure the ramps are bottomed out in their starting position then back off the adjuster. Now you can run it in until you just feel pressure back it off and continue your normal procedure.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:47 AM
bradleys
Tourer
Received 143 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks Mark, no change...

I ended up ordering a 1/2" spacer from www.aluminumspacers.com...

I want to I pull the cover off again and check to see if the previous owner installed an EZ Clutch - that would explain why it cannot be adjusted correctly. With the inappropriate adjustment, it feels like it always did - works, no slipping, just not correct. I am sure I will need a clutch eventually, but when I do replace it, I want the adjustment to be correct!

Big waste of a quart of oil!

Last edited by bradleys; 08-13-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:00 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by bradleys
Thanks Mark, no change...

I ended up ordering a 1/2" spacer from www.aluminumspacers.com...

I want to I pull the cover off again and check to see if the previous owner installed an EZ Clutch - that would explain why it cannot be adjusted correctly. With the inappropriate adjustment, it feels like it always did - works, no slipping, just not correct. I am sure I will need a clutch eventually, but when I do replace it, I want the adjustment to be correct!

Big waste of a quart of oil!
You are correct an easy pull does lessen the travel of the push rod. If you have a dial indicator you can put it on the pressure plate and measure how much travel you are getting. You want .090 but .080 will work.