Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Long term review - Sena Cavalry Half Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 07:41 PM
06flstn
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Long term review - Sena Cavalry Half Helmet

Earlier this Spring I picked up Sena's latest bluetooth offering, their first-ever half helmet dubbed the Cavalry with integrated bluetooth audio functionality. I was intrigued by the integration of bluetooth and also wanted protection for my head while riding around town on my FLSTNi.

After eight months of regular use (several times per week), I have to say I'm extremely pleased with and highly recommend this helmet as it has become my "go-to" helmet nearly every time I get in the saddle. Here's why.

The helmet's low profile doesn't look goofy while riding with padding throughout the interior to help keep the helmet comfortable and functional. While the integrated sunvisor is more for aesthetics than functionality, it does add to the helmet's visible allure.

The Cavalry's integrated bluetooth headset is effortless to use. Simply press the middle area in the headset while also depressing one of the volume buttons and voila! The headset is on and volume is easy to adjust with by pressing one of the large + or - volume buttons on the headset itself. Speaking of the headset, it's small! So much so that you don't really notice it which I particularly like as the design of the half dome flows nicely with the integration of technology.

Even without using the included ear pads, which provide additional wind protection while listening to tunes or talking to other riders (or on the phone), the sound quality is exceptional, even at highway speeds. Range for riders who are connected while riding is about 1/2 mile which I've found is more than adequate. And charging of the internal battery only takes about 30 minutes and it's good for up to 10 hours, allowing me to literally ride all day and connect my Sirius XM, via my iPhone app, to my helmet and listen to tunes nearly everywhere I travel with a cell connection.

My only complaints with the helmet is a lack of reflective material, particularly in the back, though this is a complaint I have with most every helmet I've seen on the market. This is easily corrected with some reflective tape, which I've added, but it would be nice if this was a consideration helmet makers would consider. Additionally, the helmet isn't cheap. It'll set you back $349 though if you consider the fact it includes integrated bluetooth technology and a typical bluetooth headset can cost upwards of $200, the price seems consistent with a headset/helmet package. That said, the Sena Cavalry half helmet has proven its worth as it's comfortable, functional, and easy to use. It looks great and its low-profile works nicely while around town or on the highway. I think you'll be happy if you give it a try and you can learn more and pick one up at www.buysena.com or most online retailers.

Sena's Cavalry half helmet

Another shot of the Sena Cavalry half helmet

The Sena Cavalry's integrated bluetooth headset is streamlined and easy to use.

Ample padding throughout the interior provides comfort and functionality.

Last edited by 06flstn; 11-21-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:43 PM
John Kyle
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

How much do you use the voice part? I bought one in september. On my street glide the pipes were medium loud and my wife could barely hear me over 50mph. On my new 18 low rider with a windshield it's worthless. I wish I could return it as I don't use it for music I use it to talk to my wife and kids on our bikes. (We all have Bluetooth helmets)

Old 11-29-2017, 08:11 AM
06flstn
Advanced

Originally Posted by John Kyle
How much do you use the voice part? I bought one in september. On my street glide the pipes were medium loud and my wife could barely hear me over 50mph. On my new 18 low rider with a windshield it's worthless. I wish I could return it as I don't use it for music I use it to talk to my wife and kids on our bikes. (We all have Bluetooth helmets)
I use the voice feature quite regularly and have never had a problem hearing or being heard. That said, most of my travel with this helmet is around town at speeds <50mph. When I'm on the highway, I use my full-face helmet which I've installed the Sena 20S bluetooth headset on (that may be a separate review but I really dig the 20S as well).

Do you use the optional ear cover on your Cavalry helmet? I don't use them on mine and I get excellent clarity.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:45 AM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 06flstn
Earlier this Spring I picked up Sena's latest bluetooth offering, their first-ever half helmet dubbed the Cavalry with integrated bluetooth audio functionality. I was intrigued by the integration of bluetooth and also wanted protection for my head while riding around town on my FLSTNi.

After eight months of regular use (several times per week), I have to say I'm extremely pleased with and highly recommend this helmet as it has become my "go-to" helmet nearly every time I get in the saddle. Here's why.

The helmet's low profile doesn't look goofy while riding with padding throughout the interior to help keep the helmet comfortable and functional. While the integrated sunvisor is more for aesthetics than functionality, it does add to the helmet's visible allure.

The Cavalry's integrated bluetooth headset is effortless to use. Simply press the middle area in the headset while also depressing one of the volume buttons and voila! The headset is on and volume is easy to adjust with by pressing one of the large + or - volume buttons on the headset itself. Speaking of the headset, it's small! So much so that you don't really notice it which I particularly like as the design of the half dome flows nicely with the integration of technology.

Even without using the included ear pads, which provide additional wind protection while listening to tunes or talking to other riders (or on the phone), the sound quality is exceptional, even at highway speeds. Range for riders who are connected while riding is about 1/2 mile which I've found is more than adequate. And charging of the internal battery only takes about 30 minutes and it's good for up to 10 hours, allowing me to literally ride all day and connect my Sirius XM, via my iPhone app, to my helmet and listen to tunes nearly everywhere I travel with a cell connection.

My only complaints with the helmet is a lack of reflective material, particularly in the back, though this is a complaint I have with most every helmet I've seen on the market. This is easily corrected with some reflective tape, which I've added, but it would be nice if this was a consideration helmet makers would consider. Additionally, the helmet isn't cheap. It'll set you back $349 though if you consider the fact it includes integrated bluetooth technology and a typical bluetooth headset can cost upwards of $200, the price seems consistent with a headset/helmet package. That said, the Sena Cavalry half helmet has proven its worth as it's comfortable, functional, and easy to use. It looks great and its low-profile works nicely while around town or on the highway. I think you'll be happy if you give it a try and you can learn more and pick one up at www.buysena.com or most online retailers.

Sena's Cavalry half helmet

Another shot of the Sena Cavalry half helmet

The Sena Cavalry's integrated bluetooth headset is streamlined and easy to use.

Ample padding throughout the interior provides comfort and functionality.
Does this BT have AptX. I.e. does it produce stereo when used with the WHIM?

Old 12-23-2017, 09:35 AM
Wedgeply
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Is there a boom mic

Where is the microphone to speak into located?

Old 12-23-2017, 05:24 PM
06flstn
Advanced

Yes it has a built in FM tuner in case you don't have a device mated to the BT for audio. As for the microphone, I think it's located near the bill of the helmet. It's not visible but when I speak, my voice is clear to the person I'm speaking to at speeds of 45-50mph.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:11 PM
SenaBluetooth
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SpringerRider
Does this BT have AptX. I.e. does it produce stereo when used with the WHIM?

The Cavalry does not support stereo audio when used with the WHIM as opposed to the Boom! Audio 20S and Boom! Audio SPH10 as those products have been tuned to provide the best experience for Harley Davidson riders.

Originally Posted by Wedgeply
Where is the microphone to speak into located?

Here is the location of the microphone on the Cavalry circled in yellow.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:45 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

op

how about a pic with the helmet on? no model shot needed just want to make sure one doesn't look like darth helmet.. or shroom head..

good read btw!!

Old 10-05-2018, 06:26 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

thanks for this!! I have been looking hard. Need to find one to try on. My pointy head often doesn't like helmets

Old 10-05-2018, 08:43 AM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

RKO... After looking at this helmet unfortunately I will be going a different route.
It's the old cheap harley half shell and will definitely give you the shroom look!
Like the concept though..

Quick Reply: Long term review - Sena Cavalry Half Helmet