Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

HD "Rutledge" Rain suit - is it worth $300?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 11:56 AM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts
Default HD "Rutledge" Rain suit - is it worth $300?

$240 at Surdyke

https://www.surdyke.com/PartsMain.as...s&CatName=Mens
Rutledge Hi-Vis Rain Suit&Switch=True&Price=240.0000

the reviews at the HD link below are glowing.
https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...-vis-rain-suit

Our Rutledge Hi-Vis Rain Suit is engineered from durable nylon to withstand whatever comes pouring from the sky. This men's motorcycle rain suit offers some of our most secure waterproofing yet thanks to double taping seams in high stress areas. Rider comfort is important inside motorcycle rain suit, so our team upgraded fabric breathability. A final improvement –– cranking up the 90-day warranty to 1 full year.
  • Jacket features waterproof 100% nylon with polyester mesh body and sleeve lining
  • Underarm zipper vents
  • Mock neck collar with neck cinch and roll-out bungee cord and toggle hood
  • 3M™ Scotchlite™ Reflective Material piping and graphics on sleeves, left chest, and back
  • Pants features waterproof 100% nylon with polyester mesh lining
  • Heat-resistant shields on lower inner legs
  • Full-leg two-way zipper with hook-and-loop storm flap
  • 3M™ Scotchlite™ Reflective Material piping and graphics on legs

one guy posted this in another post, does the Rutledge have any protective gear?

Originally Posted by fat_tony
Personally I think textile gear is superior to leather - at least for touring and commuting use. Better quality Cordura, Kevlar & Polyidimyd gear has the abrasion resistance that cheaper nylon and polyester gear lacks. On the downside it'll cost the same or more as a decent quality leather jacket ($400+ range). 1000 denier Dupont Cordura has the same abrasion rating as the 1.3mm leather found in most leather jackets. The advantage of the better quality textile gear on the market is greater comfort range and versatility weather wise compared to leather.

My Olympia jacket is comfy from 90F (with vent panels open) to 30F (vents closed and included insulating liner installed and base fleece layer) although I think the camel back system is a bit of a gimmick and don't use it. It's also water proof. If I get chilled or too warm on a ride, I just pull over and adjust the vents. With the CE armor in the arms and back and 2000 denier Cordura on the strike points, I believe it will perform as well or better than most leather jackets in a crash. If you like the look of leather check out leather/textile combination jackets. Advrider.com has a lot of good gear reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO23VAQlZ90

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDefwAsHiQg

I grabbed a FrogTog from Wally World, and for $30, it worked pretty well

Old 10-02-2018, 03:30 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,907 Likes on 8,428 Posts

A few things for rain gear
1) How is the crotch of the trousers put together. If they are just sewn, they will probably leak. Hold them up to the light and you can see though the stitching holes. Water from rain will tend to puddle in the seat of the bike, right where you're sitting. A good set of rain trousers will have a one piece seat system in it with no stitching involved. Typically this would be RF welded or bonded by some means that won't come undone over time with heat or cold.
2) How are the arm cuffs constructed. If they are only elastic, rain will travel up your sleeve and puddle in the elbow until you lift your arm to adjust your helmet or wipe rain from the visor, then the water continues to your arm pit and splashes down your side. The cuff should have a means of securely closing, i.e. Velcro.
3) Neck closure. You need to be able to close the neck right below your chin. Water will run down your helmet or head to your collar and then to your neck which will route it to your shirt.

The following 2 users liked this post by EasternSP:
04ctd (10-07-2018), johndoe297 (07-31-2021)