Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Lowering Kits

Old 03-08-2005, 01:22 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Lowering Kits

I just lowered the rear end of my 2000 Screamin Eagle Roadglide 1 1/4 inches using brackets form this guy (www.solowmotorcycles.com). Brackets were around 79.95 which is much cheaper than the ones my Harley Davidson Dealer sells. You can run up to 300 lbs with no air in your shocks or add 10 lbs of air to assure you and Mama don't hit rock bottom. I was running the Harley Davidson Low Profile shocks but did not like the ride at all and they only lowered the bike 3/4 inch. I put my stock shocks back on with the lowering brackets and gained 1/2 inch and improved my ride back to what seems to be close to the way it was prior to the Low Profile shocks except now I can sit flat footed at stop signs. Install time is less than 30 minutes if you have a bike jack. If you have any questions email me.

God I Love Ebay!!!!

Old 03-08-2005, 03:24 AM
00hawg
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lowering Kits

I wondered how those brackets worked. I installed lower shocks on my sportster with great results. My buddy asked me about the brackets the other day. This will give him the price option now.

Old 03-08-2005, 07:46 AM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds good Terry.

I need new shocks for my old Sporty, just can bring myself to spend the dough they want for new ones. So I'm watching Ebay too.

Old 03-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gotta see these on my Ultra, Thanks.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:55 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I put them on a 2000 Screamin Eagle Roadglide. They will fit perfect on your Ultra. The ride is very good w/kit and stock shocks.

Old 03-17-2005, 05:26 PM
Iceman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i thought i read somewhere that people were lowering the rear with some type of kit, but that the shocks would hit the bags. any truth to this in your case?

Old 03-17-2005, 10:19 PM
suicyclesinc
Stage III

Terry
We have a motorcycle shop here in Louisiana. This is a great upgrade that you made to your bike. We also do this in our shop to many other Harleys as well. The Road Glide in my opinion is the Greatest bike Harley puts out. It has the comfort of a bagger but it handles like a Dyna. Especially at high speeds with the fixed fairing and all. Im sure that you noticed a little differance in the way it handels but once you get used to it it will acually handel better since the center of gravity is lower. Next step would be to lower the front end 1" with a lowering spring kit. This will show even a better ride. I have done this to my Road Glide and its like sitting on a sled man. and the ride is awesome especially in the curves. I Love to ride the curves. Either a womens or the roads. Later
[8D]

Old 03-18-2005, 01:16 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Iceman,

The Roadkings with the leather bags (I thing the RKC) with the cutouts for the shocks are a problem but I think there is a kit for that one too. The problem is on the leather bags-when you move the shocks back they don't fit in the cutout anymore. No problem with the hardbags on RK, FLT or FLHT.

Suicyclesinc,

Welcome and thanks for the input. I have thought about lowering the front but the Harley kit will not work on my 2000. 2002 and up only. I know there are kits out there that fit mine, can you let me know which one you used or one that will fit my bike.

Old 03-18-2005, 02:18 AM
suicyclesinc
Stage III

Terry
I have an 04 and I did some mods to mine with the fork tubes. However Progressive makes a kit to fit your bike using no mods. It comes with new springs, spacers and instructions.You would be replacing the exhisting springs with new ones. Takes us about an hour to do here at the shop. Depending on your wrenching ability should take you about 2 hours. Email me if you want more info at sales@suicyclesinc.com I put the same set in mine and the ride is completly differant. You see The stock Harley springs suck. They are way to spongy thus hampers your ride and cornering abilty because the bike wants to go into a dive around corners when you take them to fast or when your doing hard braking. The progressive system eliminates this problem along with lowering your front end a little over an inch. Is an awsome kit and very affordable.

Old 03-20-2005, 02:00 PM
rdking
Tourer

Check out TJ Products. They make a 1" lowering kit for the rear end that works on my '05 Road King Classic slick as can be. No problem with the bags, although it's a snug fit against the shock boot. Instructions say this is not a problem. So far I agree. Website: tj-products.com

Tom