Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Anyone Ever Hear of Picklex 20?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 10:13 PM
motorhead04
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Ever Hear of Picklex 20?

I seen this product on ebay and was wondering if any members have had experience with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2493858024

Old 10-13-2004, 12:40 AM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Anyone Ever Hear of Picklex 20?

I don't know anything about it, however it makes me think of the zinc oxide that was tried back in the day, that didn't work as expected then.

Old 10-20-2004, 10:29 PM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a glowing article about it from an independent frame builder...

[quote]
An Introduction to Picklex Pro

PICKLEX PRO DO'S AND DON'TS

How to get the most out of Picklex Pro

by Fred Parr Jr.

written June, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me begin with a brief history of how I came to discover Picklex Products and the testing that we've applied to the uses in cycle frame building and cycle frame painting.

Traditional product treatments of steel such as zinc phosphate or iron phosphate for corrosion preventing, welding and paint adhesion are already monitored by local, state and federal authorities and require permits and disposal of spent chemical solutions.

Totally impractical for the small frame shop as the costs for permits, licenses and zoning requirements for use and disposal would be in excess of their earning potential.

Here at Fred Parr Cycle Design, we have searched out solutions for this very same problem for more than 20 years.

Many of you know that my father was an employee of the Lockheed Skunkworks for many years and later became a member of the Hughes helicopter rotor head division in charge of hands-on prototype building the hi-tech rotor heads which were years ahead of their time and are now currently used in the Apache and used by the military.

Working with every metal, plastic, glue and chemical compound know to industry and many that were never released to the public, my father developed a knowledge of chemistry equal to or greater than could be attained be attending a doctoral degree course in chemical engineering in the specific uses of metal conversion and
hi-tech glues.

My father discovered that we were poisoning ourselves when we were treating the cycle tubing with phosphoric solutions. The combination of elements was creating a tiny percent of nerve agent, phosgene acid gas when we heated it to braze, often resulting in headaches, skin rashes or unexplained illnesses and both of us focused on better solutions. Back then, we did two things which I believe others have done also.

We created a smog hog which sucked all the fumes away from us without moving large quantities of air that would create overly rapid cooling of the parts being brazed. Bob Zumwalt Jr. later provided us with a fresh air system that allowed us to breath external air like an aqua lung and prevented the nasty elements from entering our tender lung tissue. A great solution at the time but not getting to the source of the problem...phosphoric and hydrochloric acids and heavy metals etc.

It wasn't until years later, in 2002 ,that I discovered Picklex Products. Picklex formula contains very small phosphoric acid, but it is water based product and non-hazardous in nature.

A totally new and unique chemical composition. Picklex has been tested by the E.P.A. and has been classified as non-hazardous and environmentally safe

This water based metal treatment is an environmentally friendly alternative and very effective replacement to or often exceeding the phosphate and chromate conversion treatment used in the past.

It removes scale and rust and deoxidizes and converts the substrate of the metal and as an extra bonus, leaves a protecting coating which seals the surface and increases the resistance to further oxidation. It increase the bonding of both the brazing and the welding processes. It also enhances both painting and powder coating, substantially providing years of protection unthought-of with previous processes... and so simple to apply.

Equal to or better than zinc or iron phosphate treatment on steel or chromate treatment on aluminum. Plant managers have testified that this process is easier to control and provides great results.

After full treatment, it has been established that the rinse water has been t

Old 10-20-2004, 10:45 PM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a quote from a guy who uses it to restore old tractors. He lists a few places to purchase it....

HTH,

Ryan

[quote]Autobodystore sells it http://www.autobodystore.com/r-o-n.htm -- around $30 a pint. Much cheaper and available in larger quantities from the manufacturer, http://www.picklex20.com/--not priced on the web, but call or email. I believe Picklex and Picklex 20 are the same -- it used to be called Rass O' Nil, the bottles you get might still say that. There was something about a copyright infringement or lawsuit. The price is misleading, a quart will do a couple of tractors the way I use it. I do not use it to convert heavy rust, more as a protectant. I usually remove the rust mechanically, any remaining light rust or flash rust the Picklex takes care of. I just squirt it on, use a paint brush to smooth it out or spread it around, and leave it until I'm ready to paint. Almost invisible on absolutely clean metal, will turn "dirty" metal such as cast white. I do not know if it is necessary, but I remove as much of the white residue as I can before painting. The instructions say to just paint over it. I have not tried to use it as you do Oxi-solv as it (as you say) probably was not designed for that. I have not yet looked up Ospho to see exactly what it is, but from what I have seen, I believe Ospho is much heavier duty stuff, perhaps even waterproof, Picklex must be kept dry. Picklex is excellent for what I use it for -- Mainly protection and flash rust.

Old 04-06-2005, 11:41 PM
hawk
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use it for some things on my antique cars