Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Review - Wesco Custom Boss Boots

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 09:31 AM
bpete
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review - Wesco Custom Boss Boots

This is my review of the Wesco custom Boss boots, I hope that you find it useful. I won’t get my bike until the spring so I won’t be able to offer any ride-related comments here. Also, I don’t have any other boots to which I can make comparisons. There are many good boots out there; my goal was to pick a pair made in the U.S. that will last a long time. For this purchase, cost was not the number one consideration (and that was a good thing because these don’t come cheap).

First impressions count. A good indication of any company’s customer service is the initial interaction. In this case, Wesco shipped the catalog/DVD the day after I requested it online. This was a small but good sign, I thought. Also, Wesco completed my order three to four weeks earlier than they estimated (read on).

Ordering. The catalog/DVD arrived along with a custom fit ordering kit. I decided to go with a pair of custom Boss boots. The DVD explained how to take the measurements, and the kit included a paper measuring tape for the purpose. I selected the following options on a Boss boot: 11”, single-tone brown leather, Boss toe, tobacco leather lining, #100R Vibram sole, standard heel height, no top strap, no inset straps, steel toes, lightweight brown upper stitching thread, khaki lower stitching thread, knife pocket, and credit card pocket. Cost including shipping: $784 (gulp). My better half took the measurements and I sent off my order to Wesco. They e-mailed me to let me know that they had received my order and everything was in order, and that it takes eleven to twelve weeks to complete a boot order. A long time but I’m in no hurry since I don’t even get my bike for another six months. So, I kick back and wait.

The boots. I received the boots in eight weeks vice the eleven to twelve weeks, a nice surprise! Their quality is evident, the leather is heavy and well-tooled, stitching is solid and the boots look great. Nothing fancy, just solid. The fit is what should be expected from any custom item; they fit perfectly. The leather is stiff and will take some breaking in, for sure. The boots feel great on, nice and heavy, and my foot and ankle feel secure. I can’t wait to put them to use.

Wesco sent a one-ounce Bee Oil sample with the boots, and I applied the oil to the boots before taking these pictures. The boots out of the box were lighter in color than they are now, after I applied the oil. I don’t know if the boots will return to the lighter color as they absorb the oil, but it doesn’t really matter because I like both shades of the brown. The Wesco guidance is to use the Bee Oil as a primer to condition the leather, then Bee Seal Plus for water repelling, once a month or as needed. Remember to include the boot dressings when you place your boot order. I didn’t so I had to order the dressings after I got the boots (and pay the shipping charges).

Time will tell, but I am optimistic that these boots will be with me for a long time. I’m happy that I picked the leather color that I did; it’s a personal preference but I like the brown color. I’m extremely happy with my purchase. Time will tell if they’re worth the $784. In the mean time, I’ll be happy finding out.

Attached Thumbnails Review - Wesco Custom Boss Boots-boots-front.jpg   Review - Wesco Custom Boss Boots-boot-rear.jpg   Review - Wesco Custom Boss Boots-boots-top.jpg   Review - Wesco Custom Boss Boots-boot-heel.jpg  
Old 01-03-2011, 08:51 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the review, i typically don't do custom on anything but boots may be worth it since your foot typically doesn't change unless you go through drastic weight change which i won't. a 10 pound weight gain can make your custom jacket all but unwearable but your boots will be fine.

i won't lie i've done the "custom boot build" on wesco's site probably 10 times but i just can't pay $700+ for a pair of boots.

maybe i'll try to see if can sell a bunch of crap on ebay to pay for them... they are nice boots. there's something about old world american craftsmanship that just can't be substituted. enjoy them.

Last edited by babalu; 01-03-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:32 AM
karjar
Advanced

Nice boots! I looked into them, sent an email asking about the process to order or get the custom kit, never got a reply, didn't sit well with me for ordering that expensive of a boot, but still like them
jeff

Old 01-08-2011, 06:00 PM
bpete
Cruiser

babalu, I hear you, I did the same thing; before placing the order I went through the custom boot build many times. And ditto on the custom build concerns, I don't think I'll do anything else custom. I'd love to have one of those Langlitz jackets but with my luck that would be about the same time that I find a new favorite pizza joint and pack on a few pounds.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:04 PM
bpete
Cruiser

karjar, thanks and they're breaking in nicely. I'm surprised that they didn't reply to your e-mail . . . . .I hope that it works out for you if/when you decide to give them another shot.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:50 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

I picked up a pair a year ago, and I absolutely love them. Didn't take too long to break in either. They are ultra comfortable, and built like a brick sh*thouse. I don't wear them during winter months, but I wore them almost every day from April through October, and couldn't be happier with them.

Pricey yes, but they will last a lifetime.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Brewtality
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a pair of custom Boss boots from them myself:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/produ...fit-boots.html

Love 'em to death.