Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Wiley-X SG-1 glasses/goggles

Old 08-08-2005, 02:06 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,751 Likes on 766 Posts
Default Wiley-X SG-1 glasses/goggles

Well, after getting completely fed up with my crappy panoptx glasses, I dropped some bucks on a pair of Wiley-X SG-1 glasses. These are the real deal!! They were designed for military use and the lenses are bulletproof, so you know thye're tough.

The set I got came with dark green and clear lenses. The changeout is pretty easy, although it's easy to get fingerprints on the lenses while doing the change. The frame is very flexible, and they come with removable arms that can be swapped with a goggle strap (this is what I use). These are not for people with small faces. I have a round face, and the frame molds itself around it. The lenses are designed not to cut off your peripheral vision (another problem I had with the panoptx), and they are very clear, and distortion free. The foam around them is notched to allow air flow, but not so much that your eyes get irritated. They are supposed to have an anti-fog coating, but they do fog up, so I suggest using FogTech, as I do, to minimize that problem.

My only gripe is that after wearing them for a long time, I find that the nose-piece digs into the bridge of my nose and causes minor discomfort. I think this could be fixed with some foam on the inside of the nose piece. Mind you, my only testing was done this past weekend when I put about 950 kms on my Night Train with all of those kms being into a STRONG cross or head wind, so the glasses were getting pushed pretty hard onto my face by that wind. I still think some foam in the nose-piece would be a good idea. Aside from that, they are VERY comfortable.

I spent a lot less on these than I did on the panoptx, and these MAJORLY outperform them in every way. I wholeheartedly recommend the Wiley-X SG-1s for riding.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 08-08-2005, 02:57 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Wiley-X SG-1 glasses/goggles

Clammy,

Loosen up the strap, might help withthe pressure on the nose, and let some circulation back into that mug o' yours!

[sm=joke.gif]

Mac

Old 08-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is such great info! Thanks. Hadn't looked at those brands in a while, resigning to wear cheap shades, but I do dig the Wiley X brand. Panoptx just appeared very overpriced to me.

Compared to when I started riding, I no longer require Rx lenses so it broadens my choices. Gotta love it, from a bad astigmatism and slightly farsighted to 20/15 vision! Technology is great isn't it!?

Surfing the Wiley X site.. They've got some really cool stuff.
I really don't get the differences between the SG-1's and the SG-1 V-cuts.

Do you know??

Old 08-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Babs

This is such great info! Thanks. Hadn't looked at those brands in a while, resigning to wear cheap shades, but I do dig the Wiley X brand. Panoptx just appeared very overpriced to me.

Compared to when I started riding, I no longer require Rx lenses so it broadens my choices. Gotta love it, from a bad astigmatism and slightly farsighted to 20/15 vision! Technology is great isn't it!?

Do you know??
Near as I can tell the only difference is that the foam is more ventilated, by using either more or deeper cuts, on the SG-1 V cut model.

Cheers!

Old 08-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: pilot1996

Clammy,

Loosen up the strap, might help withthe pressure on the nose, and let some circulation back into that mug o' yours!

[sm=joke.gif]

Mac
I do have the strap loosened... I really think the wind pushing them onto my face is the main culprit. I'll know better the more I ride with them when there is little or no headwind.

Cheers!

Old 08-08-2005, 05:28 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey clammy hows it going...i will tell you i also have the panoptix they were expensive but i have no problem with them..i got the ones that automatically lighten and darken, so i dont have to change lenses. i was wearing oakley half jackets but the temples were too big and i found the arms digging into my head by my ears. i love my over priced panoptix tho....in my opinion they are worth the bucks

Old 08-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: screamn_eagle

hey clammy hows it going...i will tell you i also have the panoptix they were expensive but i have no problem with them..i got the ones that automatically lighten and darken, so i dont have to change lenses. i was wearing oakley half jackets but the temples were too big and i found the arms digging into my head by my ears. i love my over priced panoptix tho....in my opinion they are worth the bucks
The ones I have also have the lenses that lighten and darken too. Maybe I just got a crap pair, but the lenses scratched easily, the foam started deteriorating within a month, they were brutal for fogging up, the strap never kept them tight enough on my face and as a result, my eyes would water like mad! I was not impressed with the pair I have. I'm happy to hear yours are good!

Cheers!

Old 08-09-2005, 03:05 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

Clammy,

I wear Wiley X's. When I wear the strap, my nose hurts. I quit wearing the strap, and I have not experienced any discomfort since. Further, they are not getting blown around, and there is no wind behind the lenses. When I ride in the rain, they are the only reason I can see. I have the batwing fairing on my bike, so it's not really a fair comparison.

Mac

Old 09-02-2005, 04:20 PM
iwearpro
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Babs

Do you know??

Hello, the sg-1 v-cuts are the waye to go for sure if you have fog issues.
with over 5000 pairs of the standard sg-1's sent over to iraq,wiley x was forced to make the v-cut for the days whenit got cool and the guys are active and the standard sg-1 started to fog.
i have used both and for sure the v-cut is the way to go.
maybe this will help.

Old 09-03-2005, 12:48 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: iwearpro

Hello, the sg-1 v-cuts are the waye to go for sure if you have fog issues.
with over 5000 pairs of the standard sg-1's sent over to iraq,wiley x was forced to make the v-cut for the days whenit got cool and the guys are active and the standard sg-1 started to fog.
i have used both and for sure the v-cut is the way to go.
maybe this will help.
Do the V-Cut lenses fit into the standard frames?

Cheers!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wiley-X SG-1 glasses/goggles