Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Ride-On tire sealant

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 11:23 PM
SLORider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ride-On tire sealant

At long last my tire which has been back ordered since 5-22-07 arrived and was put on today 7-27-07.

I thought I was going to be able to try the Ride-on for real as my tire had worn down to and in some spots through the outer cord layer. It wasn't going to take much to puncture that bag of air.

I took it to the shop and we put the bike on the lift and jacked up the rear tire. We put a screw into the rear tire and then removed it. This process, including waiting for the shop to open etc. took quite some time and the tire was cooled down. I was also not able to run the tire to spin the sealant in the tire.

As soon as we removed the screw from the tire it began losing air. Not as much or as fast as it seemed it should but it was a strong flow of air for several minutes. Then some sealant began to leak out of the hole and it seemed that the tire was flat with not enough air to run the tire. A very disappointing test. Though certainly in less than ideal conditions.

After waiting about 10 minutes my mechanic said he wanted to fill the tire with air to give it another test. He filled the tire with air. Some small amount of air and sealant escaped from the screw hole. The tire then HELD 40 LBS. OF AIR PRESSURE. Quite to the surprise of everyone in the shop. There was some small air and sealant bubbling out but there was no doubt that in real conditions with running temp and centrifugal force the sealant would have performed as advertised, allowing one to get safely to a repair facility.

All in all, I was impressed and will continue to use Ride-On. I think it is the best product of its type.

Again this was in a tube tire, the hole was about 1 /8".

Old 07-28-2007, 06:25 AM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what's the verdict....are you putting the Ride On tire sealent back in your tires? I really did not believe you could use it in spoke tires but I guess you did and it worked for the test you did even if the test was not quite realistic. I guess one would be driving on the tire with the hole in it in a real life situation which would cause the Ride On to spin in the tire and help seal it. Was there a mess to deal with when the tire was taken off?

Old 07-28-2007, 12:22 PM
SLORider
Road Captain

Yes, It's going back in my tire. The information on the web site and with the sealant says that the if you get a puncture the combination of running the tire with both heat and spinning the sealant helps seal the leak. They say it will work in tubeless up to 1/4" and 1/8 in tube tire if the tube isn't ripped.

Given the alternatives, I think this is worth the money for that chance of getting to a repair facility on what would otherwise be a flat tire. I will be looking for a tire pump/CO2 inflater though for situations that may be more like the one in my shop test.

As it was contained mostly in the tube there was little or no mess to deal with. Nothing at all on the rim. The air seal seemed to occur between the inner tube and the tire. Not much sealant escaped into the rest of the tube/tire area.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:03 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks SLORider this is the concrete info I like to get from the forum...a good study in a product we may want to try. Keep us posted on any new happenings. I am going to have to put some Ride On in my tubeless tires on the Heritage now...like you said what can it hurt. I always worry about a flat in the middle of nowhere with my spoked wheels but I love the spoke look.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Lethkial
Cruiser

You, SLORider, are one of the reasons that this forum is as popular as it is. I really appreciate the fact that you did what you said you would, and reported back to all of us who were interested in this product, plus you personally emailed me to let me know of your findings. You, my friend, will be rewarded many times over for your genuine acts of kindness, and I just wanted to thank you.

I will now be purchasing this product to put in both of my tubed RKC tires, thanks to your experience and follow-through.

You are a class act, brother.[sm=thanx.gif][sm=smiley32.gif]

Old 07-28-2007, 07:40 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks SloRider.I have to agree with the above posts. Thanks for the PM to update me.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:17 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks for keeping this updated, I am going to give it a try. If you are looking for a Co2 filler look at J&P cycles they have one that takes the cartridges for bb guns which are way cheap and available everywhere and work well, it took 2 cartridges to take a tire from 18 psi to 38 psi, so carry plenty.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:38 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you put it in the tire without riding immediately afterwards?...If so,you may have messed up...:&gt

Old 09-09-2007, 08:24 PM
SLORider
Road Captain

Nope, per instructions I put it in and then went for a ride to distribute it around the tire. As it doesn't harden I don't think it would be a major problem but would just take longer to work around the inside of the tire. I sure find that the tire loses less air between rides than without the Ride-on installed.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:43 AM
spike95
Road Master

If I use this stuff or dyna beads, should I remove the balancing weights from my spokes?

Quick Reply: Ride-On tire sealant