81' XS1100 Special - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums

Go Back  Harley Davidson Forums > This 'n' That > Project Room
Reload this Page >

81' XS1100 Special

Project Room This section is for projects, from home and garden to the bike or car!!! Please see the rules before posting!!

81' XS1100 Special

Old 12-04-2017, 03:46 PM
SECOLORADO

Nice project. Looking good so far. Gotta give ya props on the bright work. Old chrome can be a pain. I picked up an old 1973 CB750 four a couple months ago in a salvage yard while looking at some other parts for a current project. Bike was complete but pretty hacked up. Guy swore it ran. Told him I'd be back in the morning with a trailer and cash, if it runs we'll load it. It's tucked away in the corner now. Found an old savior frame to make the chop look right. I had a newer model back in the early 80's when I came home, always wanted to chop it. Caught a lot of crap from

my buddies but they always had a hard time keeping up. Almost 40 yrs later and I'm right back where I started, kinda. Like I said "nice project" . It's not what you ride ; It's if you ride.

The Following User Says Thank You to SECOLORADO For This Useful Post:
Yamaharley (02-13-2018)
Old 12-15-2017, 12:10 AM
SNDSLGR
One Of The Regulars

Been a while. I got it running close to right, I'll wait to do a final tune until I get the exhaust back from ceramic coating.

Headers where nice and strong metal through out but the mufflers where getting soft. I've read enough about good headers being hard to find and wanted to preserve mine so I decided to cut the mufflers off and rework them for aftermarket mufflers.

Some of this has been covered by others but here is a step by step for anyone considering the same.

Cut the mufflers just rear of the dimple about 4" behind the smallest part of cone.
(I'll have to pick this back up when I get home... Having a hard time posting pics from phone)

Old 02-12-2018, 07:04 PM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member

Wow. You sure are putting a lot of work into this. I have a hard enough time working in dual carb bikes. I can't imagine trying to rebuild and troubleshoot four of them.

I used to have an XS400G. That was fun ride especially around town. The big problem with it was that it refused to start once the temp dropped below 40. To start it cold, I would have to kick for 10 or so minutes.

I hope you post up some more pics. I'm very curious about how this project turns out.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:34 PM
nevada72
Extreme HDF Member
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,640 Posts

Cool project. I never get down to this section.....just stumbled on it by chance.

Picked up a similar project in a 84 CB1000c that was a non-runner for years. Similar situation except I got lucky in that the petcock was the first thing to go and it starved the carb bank dry, which was good news for my purposes. The tank interior was **** so I did the vinegar and salt soak for 2 days. Looks almost as good as yours - but not quite. What kind of acid do you use?

The back brakes (all of it) were toast like yours. Basically rebuilt/replaced everything. Rebuilding that mc was ugly work. It spent a lot of time in my ultrasonic.

Rims were a bit better. Tires shot, so new Kendas.

The chrome was surface rust so I did the aluminum foil scrub and it looks pretty good, including the 4 into four exhaust.

Overall I'm pleased with the end result and it was nice to hear it fire off on my first attempt.

It definitely pulls hard.

Nice work. I wish I had your skills.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:12 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member

Sweet project! Can't wait to see it as it progresses more.