Revolution Max The new Revolution Max forum

22 nightster RH975T starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 09:59 AM
Sequoia1228
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2022 Harley Nightster Won’t Start After 3 Days

I picked up my Nightster last Tuesday. It’s been great until Friday when I went to ride it and it wouldn’t start. The motorcycle has been on a tender, has 308 miles, and no other issues. The motorcycle will recognize the fob, has power, primes, but won’t start. This seems to be a reoccurring issue with the Nightster. My dealership will be picking up my motorcycle today (Saturday). I’ll post an update once they fix the problem. It is crazy to me that my 3 day old motorcycle won’t start. I hope Harley finds a permanent fix quickly.

Old 08-13-2022, 10:19 AM
Sequoia1228
Stage II
Default 2022 Harley Nightster Won’t Start After 3 Days

I picked up my 2022 Nightster last Tuesday. The motorcycle has been great until 3 days later on Friday. I went to start my motorcycle and it wouldn’t start. It has been on a tender, everything is working fine, it will prime, but it will not start. It seems like other Nightster owners are having the same issue. The motorcycle has 308 miles on it right now. It seems crazy to me that my motorcycle won’t start after 3 days. I hope Harley finds a permanent fix quickly. My dealership should pick it up to today (Saturday) and will likely begin working on it Monday.

Old 08-17-2022, 01:59 PM
emperorgrahf
Stage I
Default Same

I'm having the same issues, first time at 59 miles, second time at 189, I continue to have this repeatedly, the dealership says it's a known issue that the engineers are working on a software update on. They relocated the magna fuse (never heard it called that before) to make it easy to reach under the front, and that unplugging the fuse for a few seconds will clear the fault. I've noticed that it is more likely to happen in the morning if I didn't put a cover on the bike, which leads me to believe it's condensation related.

Old 08-20-2022, 02:30 PM
Bradley4
Stage I
Default Experiencing the same issues

Same issues as everyone else here in Kentucky. Bought my 22 Nightster new and been experiencing the same issue as everyone else off and on since I’ve owned it. From the first time I quickly figured out that if I removed the ground from the battery and reconnected it would reset and allow me to start the bike. I’ve been lucky that to this point it’s not happened to me anywhere but at the house but figured it was just a matter of time. It seems to be getting worse and happening more and more. Hopefully Harley will find a fix soon because I for one am getting tired of having to lay on the ground and remove everything to get to the battery and then put it back on just to start my bike. Has anyone heard any updates in the past couple days on the issue by chance? Thanks for any info.

Old 08-20-2022, 09:44 PM
SpendDemon
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Starting update

Originally Posted by Myers92
Purchased the bike less than a month ago. 2022 Harley Nightster RH975T with 6 miles on it.

I rode the bike under normal conditions in Mesa, Arizona. A week after I purchased the bike and less than 100 miles of riding, I experienced a no start condition. I went to leave work one and the bike wouldn’t crank to start. I could flip the ignition switch on (key fob start no key) and attempt to press the start button. Absolutely nothing would happen when you pressed the button on top of the ignition switch to start it. I changed the battery in the key fob just to make sure it wasn’t that, it didn’t change anything.

I contacted the dealership I purchased the bike from, they promptly picked it up and took it back to the dealership. They called me the next day and told me the bike was ready to be picked up. When I picked the bike up the service manager advised me that the no start condition, along with 11 DTC’s were caused bike a lose connection going to one of the modules on the bike and they fixed the issue by simply reconnecting the plug(s) and re routing the wiring harness to help prevent the issue from happening again.

I took the bike home that day and continued to ride it for another week following that issue. Less than 9 days after the original incident occurred, I went to leave work and the bike wouldn’t start. (Less than 200 miles on the bike still at this point). I immediately contacted the dealership again, explained it was the same issue again. (Had the contact the GM of the dealership I purchased the bike from because I wasn’t able to contact anyone in the service department after several attempts for the entire day following the bike not starting again)

The dealership picked up the bike the following day (the same day I was able to contact the GM of the dealership about the problem with the bike)

I’m putting this information on here, asking if anyone else has recently purchased a 22’ Nightster recently and wondering if they have experienced any issues like this.

It’s now been 4 days since the dealership has picked up the bike for the second time for the same issues and no one from the dealership has even attempted to contact me to update me on the condition of the bike.

any advice or information would be very helpful, thank you.
Have the Dealership do a software update. It fixed my problem. I also had both modules replaced under warranty

Old 08-22-2022, 03:14 PM
keeponrunning
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this exact same issue. Fought it from 500 miles to 1K. at my 1K service it had been in their shop more than my garage and I warned them this was at the limit of my states lemon laws. this was their last shot. As others have mentioned, they did a software update, swapped out the left hand control module, and that fixed it. I'm now almost 2 months and 2K miles later, and it hasn't happened once.

My dealership had to jump thru some hoops to get new control modules sent, but, once they did it's been a dream bike. Not one single issue.

Old 08-22-2022, 04:36 PM
SpendDemon
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Starting correction

Originally Posted by Myers92
Purchased the bike less than a month ago. 2022 Harley Nightster RH975T with 6 miles on it.

I rode the bike under normal conditions in Mesa, Arizona. A week after I purchased the bike and less than 100 miles of riding, I experienced a no start condition. I went to leave work one and the bike wouldn’t crank to start. I could flip the ignition switch on (key fob start no key) and attempt to press the start button. Absolutely nothing would happen when you pressed the button on top of the ignition switch to start it. I changed the battery in the key fob just to make sure it wasn’t that, it didn’t change anything.

I contacted the dealership I purchased the bike from, they promptly picked it up and took it back to the dealership. They called me the next day and told me the bike was ready to be picked up. When I picked the bike up the service manager advised me that the no start condition, along with 11 DTC’s were caused bike a lose connection going to one of the modules on the bike and they fixed the issue by simply reconnecting the plug(s) and re routing the wiring harness to help prevent the issue from happening again.

I took the bike home that day and continued to ride it for another week following that issue. Less than 9 days after the original incident occurred, I went to leave work and the bike wouldn’t start. (Less than 200 miles on the bike still at this point). I immediately contacted the dealership again, explained it was the same issue again. (Had the contact the GM of the dealership I purchased the bike from because I wasn’t able to contact anyone in the service department after several attempts for the entire day following the bike not starting again)

The dealership picked up the bike the following day (the same day I was able to contact the GM of the dealership about the problem with the bike)

I’m putting this information on here, asking if anyone else has recently purchased a 22’ Nightster recently and wondering if they have experienced any issues like this.

It’s now been 4 days since the dealership has picked up the bike for the second time for the same issues and no one from the dealership has even attempted to contact me to update me on the condition of the bike.

any advice or information would be very helpful, thank you.
Have the Dealership install new left and right handlebar modules and new software. It fixed my problem

Old 08-22-2022, 06:54 PM
PBlomme
Novice
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Same issue

Yes same issue with my knightster. 3 weeks into owning it . Already paid out $130 for towing. Have to have it towed back. Mine completely shut off mid turn onto a busy road. Picked it up from the dealer today. Up on the highway it lost speed. A little scarey to loose speed with the cars coming up behind so fast. Still a newer rider.

Old 08-23-2022, 05:04 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,732 Likes on 2,397 Posts

I think you have been done on the towing as a new bike comes with HD support for breakdowns that should cover that.

Old 08-23-2022, 04:15 PM
PBlomme
Novice
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
I think you have been done on the towing as a new bike comes with HD support for breakdowns that should cover that.
I wish I had known. Definitely not happy.

Quick Reply: 22 nightster RH975T starting issues