Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Lake Superior Round About

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 09:06 PM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Lake Superior Round About

Spent the afternoon planning a trip around Lake Superior, sent it to the wife while she was at work, and wooo hooo, she got the time off start Aug 6 and ride for 6 days doing roughly 310 miles per day with hotel stays every evening. Total distance traveled is almost 2000 miles

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...&locale=en_US#

This is going to be awesome, we have another trip planned for June out to New Hampshire to Connecticut to home in June and then in Sept I believe the group I ride with is doing a Upper Peninsula ride in September, now all we need is for this snow to melt and we will start a great season.

Last edited by HardRider1; 03-07-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:55 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRider1
Spent the afternoon planning a trip around Lake Superior, sent it to the wife while she was at work, and wooo hooo, she got the time off start Aug 6 and ride for 6 days doing roughly 310 miles per day with hotel stays every evening. Total distance traveled is almost 2000 miles

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...&locale=en_US#

This is going to be awesome, we have another trip planned for June out to New Hampshire to Connecticut to home in June and then in Sept I believe the group I ride with is doing a Upper Peninsula ride in September, now all we need is for this snow to melt and we will start a great season.
Sounds like fun. A couple years ago I looked at taking a solo trip around Lake Superior on my Sportster but never put it together. Now if I do it on the Trike my wife will join me. We are in the Green Bay area so this is very doable. Time to start planning. Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware of the HD Ride Planner before.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:32 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

We did the "counter-clockwise" trip in early June, '13.

A little cool, and even hit some "sleet" north of Duluth (my buddy swears it was snow)along with a heck of a storm, but all things considered it was a nice trip.

I would suggest not traveling after dark or in heavy for as this is when the moose tend to travel (as in across the highway).

Old 03-08-2015, 07:48 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Did it back in 2012 awesome ride and the weather was in the 90s believe me it was HOT.Some great riding in the U.P.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:13 PM
HardRider1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
We did the "counter-clockwise" trip in early June, '13.

A little cool, and even hit some "sleet" north of Duluth (my buddy swears it was snow)along with a heck of a storm, but all things considered it was a nice trip.

I would suggest not traveling after dark or in heavy for as this is when the moose tend to travel (as in across the highway).
I am hoping August brings some warmth as it usually does, but there is certainly no guarantee that far North.

The ride plan is around 300 mile/day no travel in the dark, knowing that there is a great possibility of running into large mammals after dark.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:41 AM
Detroit-1
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts

That far north Aug. can be very cool. I would try to go in mid July.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:10 AM
HardRider1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Detroit-1
That far north Aug. can be very cool. I would try to go in mid July.
Well here is a helpful tool I use, its built on years of historical data.

https://weatherspark.com/#!dashboard;ws=28113

I am sure there are other sites out there.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:48 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

I spend a week ( 3rd weekend ) in the UP every August and the weather is always pleasant ( sometimes wet ) but very seldom "too cold"

Old 03-09-2015, 02:57 PM
Bwelsh
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We're leaving TN and going up thru WI, across the UP and down the lower the end of July. Have to check out the HD Route Planner

Old 03-09-2015, 05:10 PM
Lenaitch
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a great ride! I've done it a couple of times. Great riding on both sides of the border. Early August should be ideal (no bugs!). As always with Superior, the air may be cool if wind is on-shore. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Lake Superior Round About