Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Road Trips (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-trips-23/)
-   -   Western loop in august (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-trips/1039690-western-loop-in-august.html)

ST07GLIDZR 04-11-2015 10:43 PM

Western loop in august

Hello there
Still kinda new to the site. but I am planning a trip. Leaving out of Boise ID and headed south. Seeing if anyone in the Boise area or along the route would like to meet up and ride. I am taking 16 days to complete the trip. Sucks to do it alone but if I have to I will.
Stops:
Grand Canyon
Vegas
Yosemite
Reno/Carson City
Redwoods NP
Portland
and back to Boise

fxdxruss 04-11-2015 10:56 PM

Gunna be 110+ degrees here in Vegas then.
Russ

BigDogIdaho 04-11-2015 11:01 PM

Damn that sounds like quite the ride. Wish I could go with. 16 days is quite a bit of time. What you riding? Hope you have fun and be safe.

ST07GLIDZR 04-11-2015 11:16 PM

I ll be riding my 07 SG. And Yeah I am expecting to he hot. But just pull the throttle a little more to cool off.

Michael Psycle 04-12-2015 08:08 PM

What questions might you have about the California part of your ride?

ST07GLIDZR 04-12-2015 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle (Post 13911684)
What questions might you have about the California part of your ride?

Whats the most scenic way through Yosemite going to Carson City? Any places i should stop?

fxdxruss 04-12-2015 11:22 PM

You might read up on the North Rim of the GC. Might be something to consider. I am trying to get there myself, and it is supposed to be breath taking.
Russ

Colorido 04-13-2015 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by fxdxruss (Post 13912244)
You might read up on the North Rim of the GC. Might be something to consider. I am trying to get there myself, and it is supposed to be breath taking.
Russ

The North Rim is breathtaking. And very remote. I didn't go by motorcycle and glad I didn't because other than the one paved road in, every other road in the area is dirt and 4x4. Including the road over to the best camping sites in the entire Grand Canyon park...right on the cliff sides overlooking the east rim area.

OP, you might want to consider getting a hydration vest to wear while in the southern parts of that trip...rolling on the throttle will do nothing to help when the temps are above 98.6 degrees...in fact, the more fierce the wind at those temps, the quicker you will get dehydrated, fatigued, and suffer from heat exhaustion.

MacTarnahan 04-13-2015 09:35 PM

Portland area

While in Portland area two great rides, the old scenic Columbia Highway from Portland to Multnomah Falls. Second would be up the Eastern route to Mt Saint Helens.

July 8, I'm heading out to Hells Canyon Rally hellscanyonrally.com but other than that I'll be in area

jasnusc 04-14-2015 05:15 PM

1) I'm assuming you are staying in some of those locations for a few days otherwise 16 days is a very long time for that trip. I know we all ride at our own pace but that's about 175 miles or 3 hours of riding a day.

2) When you leave Vegas you can go 2 different ways to Yosemite on your way to Carson City and Reno. You can take the 99 through Fresno which would allow you the opportunity to ride the loop through Sequoia National Park (Generals Hwy) and then you hop back on the 99 heading north to Yosemite. You'd enter the south entrance and could ride up to glacier point, back down through the village and exit the east side of the park using Tioga Pass Road. This will put you on the 395 which you would take north to Reno, Carson City or Lake Tahoe.

3) Your other option after leaving Las Vegas is to go through Barstow or Death Valley directly to the 395 and take that north towards Reno area. You can stop in Mammoth and check out that Ski Town on your way and you would enter Yosemite using Tioga Pass Road and exit the same way.

If you've never been you may want to stop at Crater Lake in Oregon on your way to Portland from Reno/Carson City. Supposed to be very beautiful!