Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

State College PA to southern New Jersey

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 02:24 PM
bshughes657
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default State College PA to southern New Jersey

We are planning a trip to State College PA and then to southern New Jersey. We are not finding much information on rides in southern Jersey. Most threads are talking about getting out of New Jersey and riding elsewhere. Is there any good rides in Southern New Jersey?

Old 04-25-2015, 02:46 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,254 Likes on 11,139 Posts

What are you looking for in a good ride?

Maybe the coastal road...Ocean drive or whatever it is called from Ocean City.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:16 PM
bshughes657
Intermediate

Trigeezer , We are thinking of crossing the Delaware River at Chester and then Southeast to Cape May and up to Ocean City. Are you familiar with this area?

Old 04-26-2015, 06:00 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you cross in Chester (commodore Barry Bridge) that will be route 322, there's a few different ways. But you'll end up on route 47 eventually. Stay South or west of Vineland.
I use to drive from Philly to Cape May every week end back in the 80"s. It has grown up since then. I would take 322, 77 Mullica hill, 77 Bridgeton, buckshuten rd. (rt 670) then blend into route 47 south of Millville. then south into Cape May area. If you want a taste of the beach take Ocean Dr. north to Ocean city ( 621 919. South Jersy is mostly pine trees and farms, flat and traffic is always hit or miss. South east Pa, not sure how you're going but consider rt 926 ( south of gap, Pa off rt 41 to Creek road go along the Brandywine creek to rt 1 and go by the battle field, then go route 1 to 322 to cross the bridge. Just remember you have to "pay" to get out of Jersey.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:49 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

To answer your question with a question ---- Good riding in New Jersey? (Well, there's riding, but what's your definition of good riding?) Unless you have something you have to do in NJ, just stay around State College. The best riding in PA is anything in the northwest quarter of the state.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:07 AM
bshughes657
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies,I guess we'll take Geezr Glidr's advice and stay out of New Jersey. I can't find anyone who has good things to say about New Jersey. We were just looking for a place to explore, no particular reason to be there. Thanks for the replies.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:57 PM
BlueBobBry
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you ride in the pine barrens and stop up the pic-llili in. Id stay out. Riding here can be a pain. To get anywhere good you got ride through traffic

Old 04-26-2015, 06:54 PM
lunatikfringe
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you choose to use rt 322 in PA and want to cross the Com Barry bridge then you need to know this. Rt 322 merges with I95 for about a 1/4 mile. you enter 95 in the left lane that ends. at this point you have to merge all the way right within this 1/4 mile to exit for the bridge into new jersey. If you are going to Cape May and want the most scenic ride I would exit onto Rt 130 south. Run rt 130 to the end (about 10 miles). It turns into RT 49. Most of rt 49 is good. When you get to Bridgeton (not a very good area). Take RT 670 (Buckshootum rd as already suggested. When you get to RT 47 (Delsea dr) go South and follow the signs to Cape may. This is actually a pretty nice ride for the most part. Enjoy your stay in NJ!

Old 04-26-2015, 08:10 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Hey bs --- Here are a few things to do:

--- 322 west from State College, 40 miles to Clearfield, and have lunch at Denny's Beer Barrel Pub in Clearfield. "Home of the World's Largest Burger Challenges." Man vs Food has been there, and it was voted 1 of the Top 100 Places to Chow Down, by the Travel Channel.
--- Then, depending on how many nights you want to stay out, Google these things:
--- Kinzua Bridge State Park, Kinzua Dam, PA Grand Canyon, Letchworth State Park in central upstate NY, and there's also Watkins Glen & winery tours in Finger Lakes area.
--- A nice day ride from State College would be 144 all the way up to Renovo & then route 120 east for 5 or 6 miles, to Hyner View State Park where you might be able to watch some hang gliding.
--- Also Benezette PA which has the largest population of free-roaming elk east of CO. (You could do Denny's & Benezette on a day trip from State College.)

Lots to do & see up here. I live about a hundred miles northeast of State College, and I never get tired of riding northwest PA, and central NY. Can give you more details if you want them. Just Google all these things, and Google Maps will tell you how many miles, and you can figure out how far you feel like riding. You won't be disappointed with any of these things I mentioned.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:08 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

South Jersey is pretty damn flat. But there is world class riding there. It's called the Pine Barrens. Bring a dirt bike with tires made for sand.

Oh, since you can get lost in the first 100 yards or so, bring a good map, compass and GPS.

Quick Reply: State College PA to southern New Jersey