Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Road trip advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 01:16 PM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcal87
Digging up my old thread here. I had to post pone this a couple years back due to an illness, but would like to do it again now that I have the ability to work remote. With that being said, I will need to carry a laptop and need advice on what type of tent, waterproof backpack (most important) and other light essentials. My bike is a Softail Slim with a sissy bar so not a lot of area for storage.
Even when on vacation my job as a network admin, means I may have to remote in to our systems while on the rode, so I take a laptop on trips as well. For this I currently have been using a Windows Surface Pro 4 with the keyboard. Mine is middle of the pack on the specs that were available on the Surface Pro 4, 8GBs of RAM and 256GB ssd, Intel i7 processor. Its a full laptop but small like a tablet. It has good battery life but I also take a small power inverter. This is the inverter I use.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H2XD2DY/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H2XD2DY/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I usually will take one of my firm's mobile hotspots with me for internet access, so I basically get free internet on the road as long as I have cell service.

Here is a pic when I did have to do something on a trip. I just used my luggage rack as my "desk".

Last edited by Dan28; 02-26-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:58 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by hmnavy72
Wife and I took our sportie coast to coast back in 2017. We camped all the way across for free mostly.

About an hour or so before we stopped riding I would use freecampsites.net and find a site that was about 50mile from our current location.

We used a Navy duffle bag that we put everything in. 3 days’ worth of clothes and our tent, sleeping bags and air pads. Then a large trash bag helped kept our gear dry. Thanks to two ratchet straps for holding our bag to the large sissy bar. Hardest part of this set-up was repacking the bag the same way every time.

Check the link below about our adventure. I also recommend an REI tent!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...rtie-72-a.html

OP: This post is worth re-reading. Coast to coast two up on a Sportster with a duffel bag to hold their gear. No need at all for anyone to ever get hung up because they don't have the "right" bike or the "right" gear. Like an old timer told me a long time ago when I was heading out on my first trip: "If you're having fun, you're doing it right."

Old 02-27-2019, 03:30 PM
HogglyWoggly
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I live in deep south Alabama so anything higher than a mole hill is a mountain to us! For the past seven years or so son-in-law and I have made a pilgrimage out west; initially to the Sturgis rally (never again) but then just out west somewhere usually winding up in the Black Hills. In year three son-in-law couldn't make it and I wasn't sure I wanted to travel alone but I said 'what the hell....'. When I left, I told the wife that I may not like this and might be back in two hours. Well nothing was further from the truth. Best vacation I ever had.I rode tilll I was tired, ate when I was hungry and went when and where I wanted to go. I am a traveler and not a tourist. I won't be stopping downtown to see the stuffed jackalope or big ball of twine. I'll be the one riding past. I never worried about security but I was packing also.
This country is absolutely spectacular and pictures just can't even begin to show the majesty.
I never wanted to be the old man sitting on the porch saying 'Boy I wish I had (fill in the blank)'.
YMMV
Hoggly

The following 2 users liked this post by HogglyWoggly:
CrBear (03-01-2019), DaveNBPT (03-02-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 09:28 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts

I read through this entire thread and to be honest I have some pretty serious concerns for the OP. Thread started when he was planning a trip and here we are 4 years later when he revives it and is still asking the same questions. This gives me pause that he may or may not have learned anything in the past 4 years from any of the advice given then. So not to be offensive but I would say plan for cost and do not camp. Staying off the interstate makes for better riding but due to comfort level you may want to parallel the big road just for approximation to services.

I am going to be doing something similar to this in 2020. Not sure where I am going yet. Thought about taking a long trip to go visit some old friends but I may also just meander. I won't be camping. I would love to but I have to have my cpap for sleeping and don't want to mess with batteries and recharging. I have been looking through threads like this looking for ideas on where to go but still can't quite get anything to really spark my interest. I guess it may just be a direction and not a destination.

I truly hope your trip works out. No matter what you decide, if you do a bit of homework up front to prepare yourself you will do fine. Remember, a credit card and cell phone are still your best backup plan. I think you are already on the right track as you are asking the right questions up front.

This book is a little out dated but still one of the best learning tools for this sort of thing that I have found. Many of the things I already knew but there were a lot of smaller details that I had not thought of. It's cheap and you can get paperback or kindle version from amazon. I wish I could remember who I loaned my copy to.

The Essential Guide to Motorcycle Travel The Essential Guide to Motorcycle Travel