Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Rocky Mountain trip timing ???

Old 10-21-2015, 02:58 PM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I wanted to go a little earlier than we did, but my wife teaches summer school and didn't get finished till July 2. So we were stuck with that.

Don't forget your leathers. I wondered if we could get by without ours. We wore them at least some every day while in New Mexico and Colorado. Oh and I will not go back there without my modular/fullface helmet (for cold and rain protection)

Old 10-21-2015, 07:47 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverEagle50
I wanted to go a little earlier than we did, but my wife teaches summer school and didn't get finished till July 2. So we were stuck with that.

Don't forget your leathers. I wondered if we could get by without ours. We wore them at least some every day while in New Mexico and Colorado. Oh and I will not go back there without my modular/fullface helmet (for cold and rain protection)
I think your gonna want more than just leathers from all the videos I've watched so far. I gets damn cold at 14K feet!!!! even in the middle of summer.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:19 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

If you need anymore help shoot me a PM. I have a lot of routes and have ridden most of the great roads in Colorado.

Bill

Old 10-22-2015, 08:47 AM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

To the OP, take Bill Nourse up on his offer. He helped me out on my plans quite a bit last year when I was making my plans. Very nice and helpful guy.

And to Bill, I've said it before but I want to thank you again for all your help. We had a trip an awesome trip.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:03 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Bill when the time gets closer I will give you a shout. I also have a couple of riding buddies here that have gone several times that are giving me some good info. My current plan is to trailer the bikes and rent a cabin. I have a toyhauler but feel my truck will struggle terribly trying to make this trip. If I end up going by myself I will most likely just ride the bike there, but if my wife goes that would be a bit much of a trip for her on a 600 Shadow lol.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:26 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
but if my wife goes that would be a bit much of a trip for her on a 600 Shadow lol.
Just get her a new bike.

Bill

Old 10-23-2015, 08:43 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by billnourse
Just get her a new bike.

Bill
Haha I have tried many times to get her to move up to something bigger! Fuel range is really the main issue with the 600 as it does very well keeping up with most other bikes and she can ride the **** out of this bike. 100 miles and you better be finding a gas station. She's had this bike for 10 years and just absolutely loves it and refuses to get another Whatever makes mama happy I guess.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 10-23-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:47 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
Haha I have tried many times to get her to move up to something bigger! Fuel range is really the main issue with the 600 as it does very well keeping up with most other bikes and she can ride the **** out of this bike. 100 miles and you better be finding a gas station. She's had this bike for 10 years and just absolutely loves it and refuses to get another Whatever makes mama happy I guess.

Looks like a LowRider, SuperGlide or SwitchBack would really fit her.

Bill

Old 10-31-2015, 03:40 PM
Dharn55
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We have spent many weeks riding through Colorado over the years. We always trailer our bikes from the Chicago area to Colorado. We can leave Chicago at 6 in the morning and drive in heated/air conditioned comfort at 75-85 for 12-14 hours and be in the mountains that evening. Then spend the time riding the mountains rather than I80. The ride from Chicago to Colorado on I80 is a two day beat on a bike and the mountains are much more fun.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:58 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dharn55
We have spent many weeks riding through Colorado over the years. We always trailer our bikes from the Chicago area to Colorado. We can leave Chicago at 6 in the morning and drive in heated/air conditioned comfort at 75-85 for 12-14 hours and be in the mountains that evening. Then spend the time riding the mountains rather than I80. The ride from Chicago to Colorado on I80 is a two day beat on a bike and the mountains are much more fun.
I've done many 20-24 hour non-stop trips pulling the toyhauler. This trip I will divide up into two 550-600 mile days instead. 4 days total of driving and 5-6 days of riding I hope!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rocky Mountain trip timing ???