Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Rocky Mountain trip timing ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 10:39 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts
Default Rocky Mountain trip timing ???

Just to update as this trip did not happen, I want to thank everyone for all the replies and hope to try again June/July 2017. A nearly severed ulnar nerve at the end of May from a 30 y/o elbow injury put a quick end to my plans. Left hand was nearly paralyzed and I am still very very slowly recovering from surgery on July 5th. If/when this happens I will post lots of pics and video! Trying to get a few more friends to go with us this year.

Never been to the Rockies and thinking next year will be the time to make it happen. What is the best time of year to hit the mountains from say Denver to over and around the 4 Corners area? June? July? August? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by tnriverluver; 12-28-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:41 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

We did it last year last week two weeks of June....absolutely no rain once we left Colorado springs....but then we went west and returned from I70 eastbound and finished Mt Evans/Pikes Peak and the end side of the trip....
Yes there was still snow in the Mountain passes in Colorado.....so be prepared.
We hit weather from 25-110 degrees...had a blast !!!!!!

Old 10-17-2015, 02:51 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by giacomo56
We did it last year last week two weeks of June....absolutely no rain once we left Colorado springs....but then we went west and returned from I70 eastbound and finished Mt Evans/Pikes Peak and the end side of the trip....
Yes there was still snow in the Mountain passes in Colorado.....so be prepared.
We hit weather from 25-110 degrees...had a blast !!!!!!
Thanks! I would love to avoid rain as much as possible and hope all the passes are open when we go. Never know with the weather anymore though.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:59 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

You can expect rain almost daily somewhere in the mountains here. Anytime from mid-June through late August is pretty safe from snow, although we did have some around the 4th of July, albeit at very high elevation. Be prepared for temps from freezing to roasting on the same day as giacomo56 mentioned.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:13 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Here's the roughly map we tried to stick to, but things chnage over the time, but it was a great start....
Like my friend broke his clutch cable and had to spend a day in St Georges Utah...and a 1000 dollars later.....he broke in near Zion National Park...

Old 10-17-2015, 03:19 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by giacomo56
Here's the roughly map we tried to stick to, but things chnage over the time, but it was a great start....
Like my friend broke his clutch cable and had to spend a day in St Georges Utah...and a 1000 dollars later.....he broke in near Zion National Park...
Cool!!! Thanks for that map! I had planned this trip somewhat back in 07 and everyone had to back out so pretty much starting back at square one right now! Never even seen much less ridden in the Rockies. I'm going to make this one happen come hell or high water. Getting old and running out of time Haha Hoping for about 6 days of riding time.

The following users liked this post:
coltsfan (01-08-2017)
Old 10-17-2015, 03:21 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

When ever you go enjoy the ride and post your experience.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:31 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by smitty901
When ever you go enjoy the ride and post your experience.
For sure! I video everything lol.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:32 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,409 Posts

I spent four nights passing through Colorado this past summer on my way back from Sturgis. Wonderful scenery. Hope you enjoy your ride as much as I enjoyed mine.

One small thing. They don't salt the roads in Colorado. They use sand instead. This results in clumps of sand where you least expect them. At an intersection where there was a little triangle and vehicles wanting to make a right were to take the curvy road to the right or continue straight if that is what you wished, I wasn't certain which way I should go, so I pulled into the triangle to figure it out. I came to a stop and put my right foot down on some sand. Slowly, my foot started sliding on the sand which resulted eventually in laying the bike over on its side. Now I was stopped at the time, so nothing was damaged. But it was embarrassing to have to ask my two riding buddies to help me pick up the bike.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:36 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

I've been almost everywhere east of the Mississippi but the farthest west has been Houston,Tx and Oklahoma city both for business and Sturgis a couple of times for FUN lol Just made reservations for 75th Daytona but been there done that a few times and about to change my mind on that to save some coin for this trip. Daytona is just stupid expensive now for motel rooms during rally week.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 10-17-2015 at 03:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Rocky Mountain trip timing ???