Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Road Trips (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-trips-23/)
-   -   Lodging advice needed for trip out West from Wisconsin this summer (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-trips/1087664-lodging-advice-needed-for-trip-out-west-from-wisconsin-this-summer.html)

The Cheesehead 01-04-2016 01:00 AM

Lodging advice needed for trip out West from Wisconsin this summer

Heading out to Yellowstone this summer (late July) and I'm looking for your completely biased advice on lodging in the following cities:

1. Sioux Falls, SD
  2. Hulett, WY (or the Devils tower area)
  3. Red Lodge, MT
  4. Jackson WY
  5. Cody, WY
  6. Custer, SD
  7. Hill City, SD &
  8. Deadwood, SD
Normally I tent camp these trips, but I'm looking for more creature comforts this time around. Thanks!

Grandslam 01-04-2016 08:57 PM

I usually spend the night in SF, SD on Saturday before Sturgis. I have stayed at the Days Inn and the Red Roof. On the Saturday before Sturgis, you better have reservations or lucky.

I am not sure if there is a motel in Hulett, WY. Maybe Sundance.

I have a room booked at the Irma Hotel in Cody. I have stayed there once before and the room was very nice. Just looking on the internet, it looked to be cheaper than everywhere else.

Jerry1834 01-04-2016 09:10 PM

Depends what you want to spend - In Jackson we with the Wart Hotel and Cody the Irmer......Sounds like a good trip - the riding is something else.

The Cheesehead 01-05-2016 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jerry1834 (Post 14716013)
Depends what you want to spend - In Jackson we with the Wart Hotel and Cody the Irmer......Sounds like a good trip - the riding is something else.

We're not trying to stay on the cheep (been there, done that), but I'm thinking about $100-$150 per night in Jackson since we'll be there 2 nights. I'm used to roughing it, but riding 4,000 miles in 9 days, I'm thinking that a clean room and a comfortable bed will be in order to stay sharp on the road.

I can't wait for this ride...Just trying to get a feel for great places others have stayed.

richkidman 01-05-2016 01:56 AM

In Cody, I've stayed at the beartooth inn, nice rooms, reasonable rates and rider friendly. As far as Custer, hill city and deadwood, you could cover all those by staying in Custer state park. Go to custerresorts.com I believe it is to stay at one of the four or five lodges in the Custer state park area. Have stayed there 3 different times and it's cheaper then some of the hotels around. Hope that helps.

Architect 01-06-2016 10:24 AM

When we were out west, Best Western's were solid all the way around. Sioux Falls and Cody we stayed in and would recommend. If you are a HOG or AARP member they offer you a 10% discount up front.

JeremyHagen68 01-07-2016 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Cheesehead (Post 14713565)
Heading out to Yellowstone this summer (late July) and I'm looking for your completely biased advice on lodging in the following cities:

1. Sioux Falls, SD
  2. Hulett, WY (or the Devils tower area)
  3. Red Lodge, MT
  4. Jackson WY
  5. Cody, WY
  6. Custer, SD
  7. Hill City, SD &
  8. Deadwood, SD
Normally I tent camp these trips, but I'm looking for more creature comforts this time around. Thanks!

Like previously said all the Best Westerns in that area are pretty good. In Jackson we stayed at the Virgianian Lodge and they were great with bikers. Good restraint and bar and grill right there also. In deadwood we always stay at the Mineral Palace. You can park your bike under the overhang and they have a water hose and towels to wash your bike if you want. Great group of people there. Never stayed in Custer or Hill City because they are so close to Deadwood. Have a good trip.

Architect 01-08-2016 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by JeremyHagen68 (Post 14723928)
Like previously said all the Best Westerns in that area are pretty good. In Jackson we stayed at the Virgianian Lodge and they were great with bikers. Good restraint and bar and grill right there also. In deadwood we always stay at the Mineral Palace. You can park your bike under the overhang and they have a water hose and towels to wash your bike if you want. Great group of people there. Never stayed in Custer or Hill City because they are so close to Deadwood. Have a good trip.

We also did a night in the Virginian in Jackson Hole, nice place with on site bar and restaurant.

The Cheesehead 01-08-2016 08:53 AM

We're definitely going to look into staying at the Virginian at Jackson hole. What other change I think we're going to make is to ride into Hill city rather than staying in Custer. That way we can stay tonight's in Hill city and ride the area in the Black Hills rather than having to move each day. Give you advice coming, I really appreciate it. And thanks all.

uplandpinter 01-10-2016 08:06 AM

How close is the Virginian to the other sites in Jackson Looking for walking distance for night life.