Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Best of Oregon Riding

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 02:27 PM
eeyore
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

When I rode the other direction from Florence to Astoria on 101 a few years back it was COLD and foggy the entire way that day. Couldn't see a thing of the famous coastline scenery, and the traffic was awful (though it was Labor Day, duh, what was I thinking). Huge traffic jam in Lincoln City. Just saying be prepared it might be a little disappointing. Trinidad was cool as was the Dunes just south of Florence.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:09 AM
bigwave916
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

This is great! Thanks to all and I will consider all your suggestions before I decide on final route.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:45 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by eeyore
When I rode the other direction from Florence to Astoria on 101 a few years back it was COLD and foggy the entire way that day. Couldn't see a thing of the famous coastline scenery, and the traffic was awful (though it was Labor Day, duh, what was I thinking). Huge traffic jam in Lincoln City. Just saying be prepared it might be a little disappointing. Trinidad was cool as was the Dunes just south of Florence.
The fog ya can't do anything about but I avoid the coast from Lincoln City north to the Columbia because of all the traffic.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:37 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Last summer (August) my wife and I rode from Boise to the OR Coast. Started at Seaside and worked our way to Bandon.
Traffic was no problem except for possibly Seaside. There we just parked our bikes at our hotel (Hi Tide Inn?) and hoofed it.

You should love it. I can't wait til we go again.

Attached Thumbnails Best of Oregon Riding-coast.jpg  
Old 06-13-2017, 12:20 PM
Baxter24
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best of Oregon

Some great roads listed in these posts. Pack your raingear. Rain is part of the Oregon experience.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:09 PM
Spy11
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

You can't go wrong anywhere in the Cascades. Shasta, Crater, Hood, St Helens and Ranier are all are all worthy side trips.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:03 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

I'm doing the opposite! Riding to Morehead City NC!

Originally Posted by eeyore
Summertime is foggy. This, you found out. Fall/Spring are usually postcard clear (unless it's stormy!)

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-22-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:28 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hwy 101 Scenic Overlook near Oswald West State Park, Oregon

Originally Posted by DBlass
I live in Portland. If you are going to see the north coast, don't take Hwy 6. Hwy 6 goes to Tillamook and south from there on US101, the road is away from the coast until you get to Lincoln City. I would head out on US26. It hits the coast south of Seaside and north of Cannon Beach. US101 from the 26 junction to Tillamook is well worth the ride.

I agree. I rode Astoria to Crescent City in 2014 and Astoria to Tillamook (including Cape Meares just South of Tillamook) was the best part of the ride, excluding Jedediah State / National Redwoods near Crescent City. 101 North of Tillamook is excellent, would hate for you to miss it. Excellent, high vistas overlooking the Pacific, especially around Ecola State Park and Oswald West State Park. Like it so much I was there again last week in fact. 90 degrees and 80% humidity in SE Louisiana where I live, Sweltering! 55 Degrees where I took this pict and a nice cool breeze coming in off of the Pacific! Wonderful!

Old 06-17-2017, 10:48 PM
Fireax
Cruiser

Sunset over Twin Rocks, Rockaway, Oregon June 2017

Old 06-17-2017, 11:03 PM
Fireax
Cruiser

Haceta Head

Originally Posted by woodman
...Check out some of the Lighthouses along the way. ...

Quick Reply: Best of Oregon Riding