Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Best of Oregon Riding

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 10:21 AM
bigwave916
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Best of Oregon Riding

I am planning a trip to Oregon this summer. Not yet sure if I'll fly from NC and rent a bike or if I ride mine all the way out and back. I've been following the thread about riding in Idaho and I'm definitely going to spend a few days there before I get to Oregon.

My current plan is to ride US12 from Idaho through southern Washington to connect with the coast highway 101 west of Portland to ride the entire Oregon coast. My final destination is Grants Pass but I thought I'd ride the coast until just south of the Oregon/California state line and then back track up to GP.

Any suggestions or advice from any of you would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:04 PM
byronk
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Depending on how far south of the Oregon/Cali border you want to go......The redwoods up near Cresent City are nice but the best part of that coast is going to be Trinidad and farther down past Fortuna is Avenue Of the Giants and its well worth the trip if you can make it. You could also use Hwy 46 in Fortuna or 299 from Eureka to come back over to I5 and up into Oregon to Grants pass. Or use Hwy 299 to Hwy 3 and up into Oregon that way. Just some options. For what its worth im not a fan of 46 but alot of people love it, too many curves for me I like to relax and enjoy the scenery and theres no time to relax on 46 imho. Thats what I like about 299, very scenic along the Trinity River and a fun ride.

Oh and I havent been there yet but this summer the wife and I are going to Crater Lake. Something I cant wait to do, everything i've seen and heard about it is fantastic.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:25 PM
bigwave916
Cruiser
Default Crater Lake

Originally Posted by byronk
Oh and I havent been there yet but this summer the wife and I are going to Crater Lake. Something I cant wait to do, everything i've seen and heard about it is fantastic.
Thanks....I was planning to ride into Crescent City then come back up 199 to Grants Pass. 46 sounds like its worth a look see.

I've been out to Crater Lake camping with the in-laws, that would be a nice ride. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I think I might ride out that way during my stay. I get up early and can 4 or 5 hours of riding in before the rest of the family crawls out of the rack and is ready for breakfast.

Last edited by bigwave916; 02-11-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:12 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

If you plan on riding inland from the coast highway, a ride around Mt. Hood is a good one. I like taking a ride through the Columbia River Gorge and if you get as far as NE. Oregon, there's some great country to ride there also. The trip from Pendleton up to Baker City is one that I like. Also, the Wallowa Country up through Joseph and ending at Wallow Lake.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:16 AM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 527 Likes on 289 Posts

199 from Crescent City to Grants pass is a nice ride, but don't forget to head northeast on 234 to 62 and on to Crater Lake.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:52 AM
bigwave916
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Lude-a-tick
199 from Crescent City to Grants pass is a nice ride, but don't forget to head northeast on 234 to 62 and on to Crater Lake.
Thanks guys. Now that I have some advice and have taken the time to do a little route planning, here's my thoughts:

Since I'll be coming down from Idaho and crossing into Washington before I head to the coast, I thought I'd take US 12 then Hwy 14 in Washington. I can avoid the Interstate on the Oregon side of the river and go all the way to Vancouver WA before crossing the river into Portland. I'll overnight in Portland and then head to the coast via Hwy 6.

Then I can ride down the coast past Brookings then I can head to Grants Pass on 199. Since I'm staying in Grants Pass for a few days, I'll probably make a day trip out of the route up to Crater Lake.

Last edited by bigwave916; 02-17-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:50 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by bigwave916
Thanks....I was planning to ride into Crescent City then come back up 199 to Grants Pass. 46 sounds like its worth a look see.

I've been out to Crater Lake camping with the in-laws, that would be a nice ride. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I think I might ride out that way during my stay. I get up early and can 4 or 5 hours of riding in before the rest of the family crawls out of the rack and is ready for breakfast.
Sounds like a great plan. I ride the coast at least once a year.
Check out some of the Lighthouses along the way.
definitely[ATTACH]460223 OK the pic of the bike in garage is not on the Oregon coast just waiting to go there.
Like the town of Florence. We always stay at the Old Town Inn. It is a 100 yard walk to the Zebra Bar on the River. Great food and drinks.
From Florence south the coast is amazing. You are riding through the Oregon Dunes.
The ride to Cape Arago in Coos Bay is awesome
I like Hwy 199 (The Redwood Hwy) to Grants Pass, although the really big ones are farther south as stated in post above.

Attached Thumbnails Best of Oregon Riding-img_1409.jpg   Best of Oregon Riding-img_1027.jpg   Best of Oregon Riding-oregon-coast-2015.jpg  

Last edited by woodman; 02-17-2016 at 11:02 AM. Reason: clean up post
Old 02-19-2016, 09:48 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I live in Portland. If you are going to see the north coast, don't take Hwy 6. Hwy 6 goes to Tillamook and south from there on US101, the road is away from the coast until you get to Lincoln City. I would head out on US26. It hits the coast south of Seaside and north of Cannon Beach. US101 from the 26 junction to Tillamook is well worth the ride. If you don't want to take that much time, take the backroads from Portland to McMinnvile through the wine country and take Hwy 18 to Lincoln City.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:11 AM
jlionsr
Intermediate
Received 62 Likes on 13 Posts

I live in Humboldt county and I also use to live in Portland. All of the roads people have said is great. The 299 , 199, 36 ( not 46) , 101 and the ave of giants r all wonderful rides.they all r a little different riding styles . if u want to go a little further the 1 is spectacular. It goes along the coast of Cali. Starts inland at legget and u take a mountain road to the coast where the 1 starts right above fortbragg. Anyways any way go u can't go wrong it's all beautiful. Pic is of Trinidad coast

Attached Thumbnails Best of Oregon Riding-img_20151219_145526790.jpg  
Old 02-21-2016, 11:24 AM
Olie
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know you said you were going to take hwy 12 through southern Washington into Oregon but if you can, take Hwy 90 through the Gorge. Breathtaking. If time isn't an issue then go through the Gorge via Hwy 2. It'll take to Coulee City at the southern tip of Banks Lake. Grand Coulee dam is on the northern tip. My wife and I would ride there twice a year for the Sunbanks Blues Festival. Absolutely amazing. Hwy 84 along the Columbia River is a decent ride as well. Whatever you do, ride around Mt. Hood. You can take 197 from The Dalles down to 216 then back up 26 all the way into Portland.

Whatever route you choose, have fun. It'll be an amazing trip!

Quick Reply: Best of Oregon Riding