Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 04:43 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts
Default Decisions, Decisions, Decisions....

So.... I will be leaving Vancouver a bit earlier than expected. So I will have 7/8 road days available to me before I need to be in the office.... hence, need to build a route... my laptop is at home, so no real way to map this out except on my iPhone, so here are some options

1. Jump on Darla and head straight East on Hwy 3 and do it in a day.. that’s about 500 miles, and in itself would make a great day trip.. 4 Mountain Ranges & 1/2 dozen passes interlaced with lots of sharp twisties and high speed sweepers, and only 2 hours of slab.

2. Head North up through Duffy Lake.. then into the Okanogan and lay over in Vernon.... then East through the West Kootenays... 4 Mountain Ranges, two ferries and some of the best motorcycle roads in the world. Two days of heaven.

But those two put me home and then I will just be sitting and loafing for several days.

3. Duffy Lake to 90 Mile, East to 16, Jasper, Banff, Home.... 4 days

4. Head up to Prince George (via Duffy Lake), then North East up to Tumbler Ridge, East to Grand Prairie, then South on 40 to Hinton, then Jasper, Banff and home.... that’s 5/6 days. ....but looks like Wet is in the forecast.

5. Go sleep with The Giants .... Jump on the slab to Olympia, West to the PCH, south to Crescent City, North East to Crater Lake, Baker City Oregon, Hell’s Canyon, Lewiston, East to The Lolo, Missoula, St Mary’s, Road to the Sun... 7/8 days

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions....

Old 06-15-2019, 06:53 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,300 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Kim and I are going to be in Cody Tuesday thru Friday. Ride the park and Beartooth both ways on Wednesday then back to Cody via Chief Joseph hwy. Thursday most likely the falls and Old Faithful. Each day I check the weather the better it looks.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:46 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by Vernal
Kim and I are going to be in Cody Tuesday thru Friday. Ride the park and Beartooth both ways on Wednesday then back to Cody via Chief Joseph hwy. Thursday most likely the falls and Old Faithful. Each day I check the weather the better it looks.
Nice! I love Cody and both The Passes.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:21 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,497 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernal
We are counting the day till we make this trip!

Old 06-17-2019, 11:10 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by Raider Bill
We are counting the day till we make this trip!
I first went over in a car, and have been over 1/2 dozen times on a bike.... it’s one of those places you never tire of and does not disappoint..... I think the best way to do it is stay in Cody, and spend the entire day doing the loop.....

The Beartooth Pass.... Just a few turns away from the top on the East side in ‘016

Old 06-17-2019, 11:20 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,497 Likes on 809 Posts

We plan on several days in Cody also a couple in Jackson.
GF's a travel agent so she likes to explore different towns. Makes her more knowledgeable.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:38 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

They are both Tourists Towns... and take money..... Cody is a lot more of a Fun Town.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:43 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,245 Likes on 8,381 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
They are both Tourists Towns... and take money..... Cody is a lot more of a Fun Town.
What kind of fun do you have in Cody?

Old 06-17-2019, 04:45 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

I first went over in a car, and have been over 1/2 dozen times on a bike.... it’s one of those places you never tire of and does not disappoint..... I think the best way to do it is stay in Cody, and spend the entire day doing the loop.....

The Beartooth Pass.... Just a few turns away from the top on the East side in ‘016
Beautiful scenery ! Too far for me to travel though.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:47 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

So.... I will be leaving Vancouver a bit earlier than expected. So I will have 7/8 road days available to me before I need to be in the office.... hence, need to build a route... my laptop is at home, so no real way to map this out except on my iPhone, so here are some options

1. Jump on Darla and head straight East on Hwy 3 and do it in a day.. that’s about 500 miles, and in itself would make a great day trip.. 4 Mountain Ranges & 1/2 dozen passes interlaced with lots of sharp twisties and high speed sweepers, and only 2 hours of slab.

2. Head North up through Duffy Lake.. then into the Okanogan and lay over in Vernon.... then East through the West Kootenays... 4 Mountain Ranges, two ferries and some of the best motorcycle roads in the world. Two days of heaven.

But those two put me home and then I will just be sitting and loafing for several days.

3. Duffy Lake to 90 Mile, East to 16, Jasper, Banff, Home.... 4 days

4. Head up to Prince George (via Duffy Lake), then North East up to Tumbler Ridge, East to Grand Prairie, then South on 40 to Hinton, then Jasper, Banff and home.... that’s 5/6 days. ....but looks like Wet is in the forecast.

5. Go sleep with The Giants .... Jump on the slab to Olympia, West to the PCH, south to Crescent City, North East to Crater Lake, Baker City Oregon, Hell’s Canyon, Lewiston, East to The Lolo, Missoula, St Mary’s, Road to the Sun... 7/8 days

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions....
`Sounds like an enjoyable trip. `Wish I could go too.

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....