Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 06:55 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Originally Posted by jdw1
I see that the "Limited" emblem is off the fender, what could you possibly put in its place? Hummmm, let me think......... lol!

Anyway, it looks like my wife and I are headed your way this summer, I might be seeking some travel tips a little closer to travel time, it would also be a pleasure to meet for a piece of pie if it works!
Sure, if you get here let me know. And yup, I still got four of the ElectraGlide emblems and two go on the fender. I am just waiting for the two rear fender to bag fillers then I will do a day of fun stuff on the bike.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:53 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Sunrise over The Rocky Mountains on a cool, early spring day.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:02 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Ok, well, it looks like I can head out on Saturday or Monday .... God willin and the creek dont rise...... I have pretty much decided on a route. From Cranbrook east on Hwy 3 to where Highway 191 starts on the Montana/Saskatchewan border.... then down 191. I am not sure if I can get through Yellowstone, but if so, i will stay on 191 all the way to Douglas Arizona, then head East to the HOG Rally in Belton via Big Bend. It is about 3,500 miles, and I will have 12 to 14 days.

I did some of this last year, and in previous years, but never all of it in one shot.

Something like this....

The following users liked this post:
rjheff (05-02-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 08:12 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Yellowstone website says the road opens from Old Faithful to the south entrance May 12. That gives me 7 days to get from there to Belton. I may need to double back to Big Bend.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:57 PM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Nice ride!

191 south of Alpine Az looks great!

Old 05-02-2017, 08:17 PM
Poppawhiskey
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Rocky
I have an appt. in Cranbrook tomorrow at 2:30. I'm going to go via Wasa and Kimberley with a lunch break at the Sully. Care to meet up? Happy to buy you a coffee or other preferred beverage.
Cheers, Peter

Old 05-03-2017, 07:11 AM
harleyhusker
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks like a great trip.

If you have never ridden Bear Tooth Pass on Highway 212 from Yellowstone to Redlodge, Montana and then down Chief Joseph Highway to Cody, Wyoming I would highly recommend it.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:51 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by Poppawhiskey
Rocky
I have an appt. in Cranbrook tomorrow at 2:30. I'm going to go via Wasa and Kimberley with a lunch break at the Sully. Care to meet up? Happy to buy you a coffee or other preferred beverage.
Cheers, Peter
Sorry Peter. I just saw this. My email notification isn't working for some reason.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:53 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by harleyhusker
Looks like a great trip.

If you have never ridden Bear Tooth Pass on Highway 212 from Yellowstone to Redlodge, Montana and then down Chief Joseph Highway to Cody, Wyoming I would highly recommend it.
I have been over The Beartooth several times and last year I was staying in Cody and did the loop over both and back to Cody. I love that ride.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:29 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

I bought a new tent. MSR Huba Huba. It is a two person tent, but just enough room for one the way I camp. I use a small Therma Rest cot which takes up a bit more floor space than just a Therma Rest foam and the nice thing about the tent is that it has side entrances so you can toss your crap in one side, and yourself in the other. I also got a small chair so when I camp I have somewhere to sit with back support. I am taking enough gear this year to camp and heat up canned food if I so desire. Mostly because the Canadian dollar is being bitch slapped up and down the street by the American buck.

Last year it was all Motels, and I will still use them, but only if I can find them at reasonable rates, or if it is raining at the end of the day.

I have spent the last few days sorting out my traveling gear, and it will be some nice to have the trunk for this summer. Once I get traveling I will do a full report on the camping gear and how it works.

One thing I am still looking for is an immersion heater so I can make coffee in the Motels that don't have coffee pots anymore.

I am not going to use my iPhone for streaming music to my Glide. It just doesn't work as well as a small drive plugged right into the bike. I wondered if I would like the music when I ride or not, but it turns out I do.... sort of being like at a live outdoor concert, but ridding at the same time.

I need to do some work this weekend at the office, and I want to put the last few bits on Darla, so I am heading out after coffee on Monday.

The following users liked this post:
Vibeman (05-05-2017)

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....