Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 10:20 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,084 Likes on 8,913 Posts

A really good day. It was still sprinkling when I got up in Newport, but by the the time I packed up it had quit, and I never saw any rain, and by noon, it was partially cloudy, and by 2 it was pure sunshine and no clouds. But it was windy in a lot of places. At one time, the wind came around me and got under my helmet and lifted it. That was really an odd feeling. Again, stopped for breakfast, and coffee breaks. I got to Crescent City about 5 and I am in the room. Feeling tired a bit, so I will just stay in tonight and watch the ball game. Tomorrow I will explore. I am going to stay here for two or three days then sort out what is next.

and of course .... Pictures .....

Darla and the beach and ocean

No Darla, same beach

more of the same

The obligatory picture of the Dunes above Florence

No Darla, same Dunes

When you are heading south and you get to Port Orford, at the bend, you will see the street painted in big white letters "View Point" or something, I can remember. Go up that hill, and see this view.

Bikes....

And beaches....

and rock outcroppings ..... oh my. Thats right Darla, we are not in Kansas anymore.....

Quiet rest day in Crescent City. Laundry, clean the bike, other small chores. A short ride into the Giants ....

Into the Ancient Redwood forest.

One very small motorcycle when amongst the ancient Giants

What you just can't imagine is the smell of an Ancient Forest. You need to walk in it for an hour to understand that.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-03-2017 at 07:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MXJunky (02-13-2022)
Old 06-12-2016, 08:00 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

Great photos and journalism Bill.

I look forward to following your journey.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:19 PM
byronk
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

We just road up from Fort Bragg to Oregon a couple weeks ago, very nice ride. Your right about the smell in the Redwoods........you just have to be there to understand it. Enjoy and stay safe!

Old 06-13-2016, 01:47 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Rax

Old 06-13-2016, 09:38 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Left CC about 9 and got into Fort Bragg about 5. Side excursions, lunch and pictures kept me long. But today is all about the pictures....

Heading South out of Crescent City and the ocean views can be spectacular, especially in the morning.

Hwy 254 side excursion. This is an absolute MUST DO!

Hwy 1 at Leggit and heading towards Fort Bragg. Spectacular does not do it justice.

Ya, and they really, really mean it.

Back at the Ocean

Sorry for the short texts today, but the Wifi in the motel sucks, and so does my thumb typing skills.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-03-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:07 PM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 776 Likes on 499 Posts

Thanks for all your pictures being a flatlander from the prairies I'm really enjoying them.

CanadianRocky (06-13-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 10:22 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

I ran from Fort Bragg today to San Fransisco. I did hwy 1, all the way in right to Mill Valley, which is where I got a motel. A little Mom and Pop that is rough around the edges, but clean. Twice as much as anywhere else I have stayed. I picked it because they have parking right in front of the room door. I still took everything off of her that could be picked clean.

Hwy 1 is a marvelouse piece of Motorcycle road. Lots and lots of twisties and a bit of straight to give your arms and back a rest. And beautiful ocean views. The last bit from Bodega Bay into Mill Valley is a superior twisty section, not to be missed. I left at 8:30 and got in around 4:30, but again, lots of stops.

But the picts tell a better story than me.

Fort Bragg loves motorcycles, right in front of a great coffee shop. I had the waffle and fruit, excellent fare.

Coming out of the Twisties .....

....Going right back into them

Damn nice ocean views all the way along

...and again

And into the twisties again....

Something i never thought was that the Electra Glide would be so much easier to get on and off compared to my BMW GS 1150. I stop in places with the Harley that I never would have taken the GS.

So many miles of this. You stop to get an ultimate shot and a better one is around the next corner. This is why it took me so long to get here today.

Coming south, on a clear day like today, you an see this for miles. I did not visit the shop or the museum. I understand they are excellent. There are rental units right on site. I did not inquire to the cost.

Big Ocean. There are signs all down the coast for homes for sale. Most of the signs say Huge Ocean view. Ok, but the Pacific the biggest ocean, so are not all the places a Huge Ocean view?

Huge ocean view

find he road....

Darla did NOT like this parking spot....

This place was windy. Darla was moving side to side, just sitting still.

One giant mud pit. My kids would have loved it!!

There is something I need to attend to at home (not work related, just personal), so I am going to head back tomorrow for a few weeks. I will run from San Fran to Yosemite, then up 395 until I find a route I have not done, or not done for a long time. It should take me 3/4 days to get back to Cranbrook. I plan, all things being equal, to be back in the US continuing the Journey the first week of July. I will be taking pictures on the way home, and trying to update daily.

Thanks to all for joining in on this first part of Darla's and my Great Adventure.

And Kudos to the designer of this Forum. It is very easy to upload pictures and text, even when the Internet and phone service are crap. I have only been unable to upload an update one time. Good job!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-03-2017 at 07:47 PM.
pyuchem (01-29-2023)
Old 06-15-2016, 08:17 AM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

One thing that would be nice is for you to give us your daily mileage if possible. If you don't keep track of it it's no big deal.
Have a safe ride home!

Old 06-15-2016, 01:00 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Looks very nice. I haven't been there in many,many years. I'm going to have to try this on my trip. I didn't know one could do this with an I-phone.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:34 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

The run was from San Fransisco to Lee Vining, which is just east of Yosemite. I went up to the look out over the Golden Gate bridge first, then worked my way over to Oakland. Except for downtown San Fran, it was pretty much freeway for the first few hours. Then I started to head up towards Yosemite and the real ride began. It was pretty cool up there today, and for the last two hours, I had my electrics working. It was also windy. Is it just me, or when I see the ads about Californai, they say Sunny California. They dont sat Warm, or Wind Free.

But time for pictures ...

No explanation neccesary...but I would suggest going up there and taking the picture in the later afternoon, the pict would be much better. Definatly worth the ride up the hill.

now the light is behind me, a better pict

Closer to the bottom of the hill

I am NOT a fan of selfies, but here is one anyway.

Originally Posted by jdw1
One thing that would be nice is for you to give us your daily mileage if possible. If you don't keep track of it it's no big deal.
Have a safe ride home!
I haven't done that. I would always forget to check. Usually I don't even keep track of total miles, except for this time, I set one of the Odometers to do that.

I am in Internet and cell phone hell here. I have more stuff to upload, but it will have to be tomorrow when I get somewhere there is a decent upload time.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-03-2017 at 07:47 PM.

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....