Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 11:25 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

Great pictures, "Electra Glide in Blue", good luck with the security system. I keep the card from the owners manual with the code and sequence, how to do it in my wallet.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:44 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,103 Likes on 8,920 Posts

Originally Posted by 68 XLCH
Great pictures, "Electra Glide in Blue", good luck with the security system. I keep the card from the owners manual with the code and sequence, how to do it in my wallet.
Yes, and I will do that also now...... as soon as i learn the code..... LOL.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:34 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

That road through Lowman over to Stanley is a fine ride. I think you'll like it. Then south through Owyhee is surprisingly fun....but that gets you off track from 95.

Last edited by mtgriz; 05-28-2017 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:17 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by mtgriz
That road through Lowman over to Stanley is a fine ride. I think you'll like it. Then south through Owyhee is surprisingly fun....but that gets you off track from 95.
I have done it West/East. It is a very pretty ride. That is a bunch of ridding I am doing. Doing opposite directions of roads I have been on. Even though 95 runs right through my home town, I have no memory of ever being North/South past Coure d'Lane, so it is all new road. I love New Road.

I woke up early, so I am going to pack up and see if Darla will fire up. I will then decide on route.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:35 AM
Brit Biker
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you never reset the code to your own personal PIN - I think the default code is 1-1-1-1.
Maybe worth a try if you can't get hold of your buddy. Good luck!
I have been following your travels since the start. Love your narrative and photos. Doing my own trip this Summer, Maine - Cali and back. 60 days on the road - can't wait.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:57 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Brit, epic ride you have planned there. Hope you post a report on it. Thinking of security codes, fobs, etc., I'll add that it's a good idea to have a couple fresh, fob batteries stashed someplace. Sure beats walking all over Golden, BC on a beautiful Sunday morning searching for open stores with daylight burning. Also, let's say you wake up in Moab, Utah on your trip and, worse, your fob is gone....as in gone for good and your #2 fob is hanging on a hook back home. Now what? Maybe I'm overthinking this but I carry my #2 fob on the bike with the battery removed. The key is hidden where I can get to it in order to unlock the trunk or saddlebags. I don't know, maybe most already do it this way but thought I'd mention it anyway as the season gets cranked up.

Last edited by mtgriz; 05-28-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:41 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

So ..... looks like it might have been Cell Phone interference....with the phone far enough away, or if turned off, the screen lights up .....��

Old 05-28-2017, 04:29 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,649 Likes on 3,220 Posts

Originally Posted by Brit Biker
If you never reset the code to your own personal PIN - I think the default code is 1-1-1-1.
Maybe worth a try if you can't get hold of your buddy. Good luck!
I have been following your travels since the start. Love your narrative and photos. Doing my own trip this Summer, Maine - Cali and back. 60 days on the road - can't wait.

The PIN is always a 5-digit number

Old 05-28-2017, 05:58 PM
Brit Biker
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ooops - Yep 5 digits - all 1's here in Maine unless reset by owner!
We always carry our spare fobs (without batteries) stowed on each other's bikes. And bring spare batteries.
Good information about cell interference - I have had the same thing as Darla happen to me - getting an error signal that then goes away. I always have my cell with me so that's probably it!

Old 05-28-2017, 08:25 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

It was a pretty good day all in all. I am pretty sure it was the incompatibility between the iPhone and the FOB which was causing the fault to come up. I tested it several times and sure enough it went to the screen right away if the phone was off or far enough away.

But I decided on caution and came into Boise so I could be close to a dealer if it was something else.

It was a good run down 95 and I did both the Winston and the Whitebird grade's. I was aiming for the North end of The Winston Grade, but missed it and ended up in Winston itself so doubled back and I was happy I did. The view is going down the grade. I rode all the way back to 95, and then turned around and rode it the other way. A few words of caution here. There was a lot of loose gravel on the road, especially in the corners. And there are no shoulders at all on most of it. You will literally ride right off the road and over the side, and it is a big drop in some spots. And the road is very narrow. So if you are coming up the hill and pick a line close to the Center, and a wide vehicle is coming down, you will have to go over the gravel, and very close to the side to get out of the way. NOT a place for the feignt hearted or the weak kneed. Go down it.

Whitebird is quite a bit wider and there are shoulders most of the way down. A much nicer ride. I just rode down it as I have gone up it before.

I stopped in New Meddows to take a nice long break, and to give the bike a chance to cool down so I could test it. Met a nice lad there by the name of Jason (I think) I pointed him to Journeys and told him he would be on the thread tonight. Sorry if I got the name wrong, please correct me if so..... and welcome to the HD forum.

Ok, some pictures.....

The following users liked this post:
jdw1 (05-28-2017)

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....