Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 08:03 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,106 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Beautiful desert...

The smell of sage was everywhere, and it was surprising how many birds there where...

Straight roads with surprisingly nice big sweepers...

An Oasis right at the Nevada border. And a good thing because....

Next gas is a while. I would strongly suggest you fuel up in Mountain home at the top, or if you are coming in from the south, Elko. And then fuel up at the Border. It is a nice sized store and has a full compliment of groceries. The sign says fuel is available 24 hrs. But who knows if your card will work.

The following users liked this post:
crazytown (06-08-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 08:12 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Lots of snow in the Mountains still.

Some very interesting rock outcropping all the way along.

Just south of Owyhee it turns into some very nice twisty road right on the river. Lots and lots of 25 mph corners.

I stopped here for lunch. A nice quiet spot but if I had waited about 10 minutes I would have been on the lake. Oh well.

More interesting rock outcropping.

The valley from the highway to the mountains is one ranch. It looks like it goes on for miles. Oh well, you have to live somewhere, right?

Looking back at the mountiains. This is about 1/2 hour north of Elko.

The following users liked this post:
crazytown (06-08-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 08:24 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

I never had a single issue with the FOB today. And it was very close to the phone. Oh will, just a gremlin.

Yesterday when I was coming into Boise, I stopped and booked a room. About 5 minutes later, I must have gotten a piece of pollen right into my left eye. It was almost useless the rest of the way in, and hurt like hell. I irritated it with water several times, and also used some eye drops. But the moment I started moving and the wind got around my glasses, it was hell.

Anyway, I was ridding pretty slow to compensate and drove mostly with my right eye, but that is not so easy. So, i used my Nav on the bike for the first time. I found the motel and locked it in, and she took me right there. That was very nice as I did not have to stop and check all the time on my phone.

There are a few things about the Nav i dont like, but when i needed it, it came to the party nicely.

Also, I am a map guy. And I like maps, but dont have one of Nevada. So I stopped at two gas stations to get one, and no one had one. I guess that is a sign of the times. When I got to my room and unpacked I realized that I packed my HOG Touring Handbook. I opened it up and looked at the Nevada map and it looks just fine. So I will use it. It also has those yellow roads that are suppose to be good Motorcycle roads. But they need to update the Canadian portion, as there are lots and lots of very nice roads in BC that are not on the map.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:33 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

The Motel 6 in elko is decent. And the price was very good. I went onto Bookings and it was the least expensive so I got it. I went for a short ride downtown and Elko looks like a very nice and clean small city. I got to the west end of town and turned left so I could come back to the room, and low and behold, I was right in the middle of the Red Light district. There are three or four brothels. I thought about stopping and taking a picture, but I am sure that the clients coming and going do not want to be world famous for 15 minutes....

Tomorrow I head to Tonopah. I will go down 278 to 50 to 376. Google says it is about 4/5 hrs, but with my picture stops it will be twice that I am sure.

Then into Death Valley......

Old 05-29-2017, 09:04 PM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

"Also, I am a map guy. And I like maps, but dont have one of Nevada. So I stopped at two gas stations to get one, and no one had one. I guess that is a sign of the times. When I got to my room and unpacked I realized that I packed my HOG Touring Handbook. I opened it up and looked at the Nevada map and it looks just fine. So I will use it. It also has those yellow roads that are suppose to be good Motorcycle roads. But they need to update the Canadian portion, as there are lots and lots of very nice roads in BC that are not on the map."

I'm surprised that a (old) trucker doesn't have a road atlas in all that gear you have! Lol! Just kidding! I use my maps app in my phone and plug into my stereo (12 FLHTK) and get prompts for turns and directions through my speakers. I don't know if the Rushmore's work that way, my wife's 16 SGS has the nav system like yours just never used it in conjunction with her infotainment system that way, I'm the navigator so haven't tried that.
I also carry an atlas! Just sayin! I spent 25 years on the road too, 19 years on my own, mostly to the west coast from Mn.

Keep on truckin!

Last edited by jdw1; 05-29-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:38 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by jdw1
I also carry an atlas! Just sayin! I spent 25 years on the road too, 19 years on my own, mostly to the west coast from Mn.
Keep on truckin!
I have thought about getting a good truck map, because as you know, they are the best. But if you look at the bike, I have so much crap, I am probably one map away from a trailer. Lol.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:55 PM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
I have thought about getting a good truck map, because as you know, they are the best. But if you look at the bike, I have so much crap, I am probably one map away from a trailer. Lol.
Lol!

Ever look at one of these?

http://www.saddlemen.com/br4100-back-seat-bag-universal

One more thing, what is the "FRLSK" about on the side covers, did I miss something?

Last edited by jdw1; 05-29-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:11 AM
Peter Griffin
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Good stuff, thanks for the photos and road numbers, seeing any lively animals along the roadways ?

Old 05-30-2017, 08:28 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by jdw1
Lol!

Ever look at one of these?

http://www.saddlemen.com/br4100-back-seat-bag-universal

One more thing, what is the "FRLSK" about on the side covers, did I miss something?
Of course the FL is the designation for ...big V twin motor (F) ... and the L usually is for large diameter forks. The RSK is a salute to the different type.. like "H" or "HT". Robert Sylvester Korchinski, my initials.

They where on Last years Darla, just hard to see.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:32 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Good stuff, thanks for the photos and road numbers, seeing any lively animals along the roadways ?
Just Daisy. ..... she was in love with me, couldn't take her eyes off.

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....