Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 05:34 PM
JeepDeep
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

very familiar territory... If you are ever in Castlegar/Nelson again, lets get together over coffee or a drink.

safe travels.

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (08-26-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 02:26 PM
Poppawhiskey
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I do that loop a few times every summer. 2 other great places to stop are the Sully in Kimberely, great menu, and the Wasa pub. Of course the trip can get pretty slow with many stops. Coming from Fernie, one of my regular trips is down to Newgate, next to the border on the west side of Lake Koocanusa.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:54 PM
ncdeekay
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Just came across this thread. Great pics and "Darla" look a lot like my '09 before we got the trike. Keep riding safe out there!

Old 08-23-2016, 11:29 PM
Poppawhiskey
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Were you able to get to Sturgis? Going during the rally was not an option for me. I did ride Going to Sun Road in Glacier park twice last week though. I'm in the planning stage to do the Black Hills in the middle of Sept for 10 days.

Cheers, Peter

Old 08-26-2016, 09:39 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,086 Likes on 8,915 Posts

On the Road again ..... Heading SouthEast towards Little Big Horn.

Darla & Rocky

MT Baker just south of home, Cranbrook BC

The obligatory Elko junction pict just north of the US border

In Montana, Rocks have legs......maybe the scientists got it wrong, and the Ice Ages didn't actually move rocks around..... Maybe they walked??

Originally Posted by Poppawhiskey
Were you able to get to Sturgis? Going during the rally was not an option for me. I did ride Going to Sun Road in Glacier park twice last week though. I'm in the planning stage to do the Black Hills in the middle of Sept for 10 days.

Cheers, Peter
Never got to Sturgis, but as you can see I am out for a week or two now.

Ok..... Well a great day today. After morning coffee headed to the US border in Montana at Roosville. Crossed easy, had a sandwich and coffee at the Esso in Eureka and headed south to Whitefish. Made an east and then headed over The Road To The Sun. Fabulous sunny day, but not hot. Just so happens there is no entrance fee for the park as it is some kind of holiday. Of course the road was slow and busy, and there is a traffic light controlled section just before the top on the west side. Stopped at the top for a bit, then headed down to the east gate. I continued on to Browning and stopped for a quick bite at the Big gas station on the south end of town. This is a great place to stop as they have a lot of good quick food. After the stop, I headed straight down 89. Good news ... NO CONSTRUCTION... Last year there was 3 sections. I got into Great Falls and found a nice Mom & Pop motel with Darla parked right at my door ..... Picts to follow.

Heading into Glacier

Very cool tour buses.

Heading up.....

Tunnels and old busses

That saddle is where we are going

Just damn Lovely

Gruff looking old Bastard, eh?

On the way down the East side...

...looking back at the top....

.... Further down and close to the East Gate

Out of the park, and onto 89 heading south....

...ditto...

Very artistic

Something very cool about running with the Sun at your 3 o'clock.

Big Sky Country for damn sure

Last pict for the day. .....

There is just something about those 100 mph Montana highways.

Tomorrow I head East on Montana 200. I will let the road decide from then on.

A real nice ride today. I started off by packing and grabbing a quick bite at MacDonalds, then stopped in at the Harley shop before heading East. What I found was that they where serving Breakfast..... Oh well.... So I got a cup holder for Darla so I can have a coffee on the fly. Then headed east on 200. It's a beautiful rolling road with some straight sections and some high speed corners. A bit of construction at Lewistown, but other than that the road was excellent. It was a "Coffee Run" day for me. Stopping often for coffee and rest stops. I was in no hurry as I was only going as far as Miles City, which is where I am at a Motel 6. I went down in to Winnett for a break and talked to some Aussies. Very friendly woman who was in the restaurant. I also met a fellow who had a rental Van. In the back was his Gold Wing. He is from Virginia, got as far as Whitehorse and the bike broke. Electrical problem. There is a nice rest area just past Winnett and I took a break. After that I headed to Jordan got a bag of chips and a pop and headed south on 59. But, as they say, pictures please ....

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-03-2017 at 07:52 PM.
pyuchem (02-04-2023)
Old 08-27-2016, 10:02 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

The Little Belt Mountains. Hwy 89 takes you right through them. I have done that a few times and just last year on my GS.

This building is in Winchester. I imagine there are many a good story she could tell. There are more abandoned buildings all along the route.

.... This was just east of the building and I just had to loop back to get the shot.

Don't drop the phone!!

Cool building in Winnett.

Hwy 59, and just me

Big Sky, fast roads.

Went out for pizza and a beer. Tomorrow I continue south on 59 to 212 and turn back West towards Little Big Horn. Then South to Sheridan, and west on 14a, which I have been told is pretty cool. Then onto Cody for a few days. Drinks in the Irma, a gunfight on main street, the Beartooth and Chief Joseph passes. Should be fun.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-03-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:15 AM
nickthecanuck
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Rocky, did you hear the Beartooth Pass was closed by snow the other day? Guess it's reopened by now I'm sure.

We're out that way in another week or so, hope it warms up!

Old 08-28-2016, 07:02 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by nickthecanuck
Hey Rocky, did you hear the Beartooth Pass was closed by snow the other day? Guess it's reopened by now I'm sure.

We're out that way in another week or so, hope it warms up!
Ya I heard that. It's been warm and sunny for a while now so hopefully all is well up there. The forecast looks good.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:49 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Up and on the road. Heading south ....

At least I am not THIS guy .... (Lord, please help me be that guy.....)

Cruise Control, heated grips.... And now this ..... I have gone full woose...

Old 08-28-2016, 11:24 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the great photos, I have been lucky enough to ride in BC and the Banff area, I can't get enought of it, just love the Canadian Rockies, hell I love Canada in general. If this US election keeps going like it is we may all move to Candada.

CanadianRocky (08-28-2016)

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....