Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 05:29 AM
Brit Biker
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi! We'll be staying in Sault St. Marie in 4 weeks. Could you give us the name of the place you're staying at? Thanks!! I tune in every day to read your report. Ride safe.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:14 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,084 Likes on 8,913 Posts

Thanks for joining in!

I found this place on Bookings. What caught my attention was how high it was rated taking into account it is not very expensive. So I got here and got checked in. The fellow at the front has to be one of the nicest motel receptionists I have met. He walks me down to the room and moves the chair in front of my place and says I can park the bike up on the walkway under the eve. But I said that was ok and would back it in. Now it is loose gravel which makes it difficult so he actually reaches down on my forks and starts pushing me back .... yup .... right in front of the room ..... yup ... and goes and gets me the board he has made up for kickstands .... yup ... and then starts asking me about the new 107 engine ..... yup.... and then goes and gets me the Motorcycle cleaning kit he gives to all bikers ..... talk about a Motorcycle friendly place.

Add to it that there is a bar right next door that serves great hamburgers and chips (had some) and beer and hard stuff (had some...a bit too much actually). I got to sit at the bar and regale a few bikers with my Journeys, as well as the bar maid.

The room is absolutely spotless, a very comfortable bed, a big coffee pot In the room, small fridge, quiet, not to far from downtown and a nice place to sit in front of your room for morning coffee. About $85 a night.

The receptionist told me he gets lots of bikers. I can see why.

The following 4 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
Brit Biker (07-09-2017), lmar (07-09-2017), SWMB (07-10-2017), westay (11-23-2019)
Old 07-09-2017, 06:49 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

I pretty much showed all the pictures I took yesterday already. It was a 435mile/10 hr day, and that was too long for me. I am kinda liking the 300 mile/8 hr days. The ride around the north of Lake Superior is very nice. Except you don't really get to see a lot of the lake. If you where willing to go down to the community's I am sure there are good sites to see. It rained once for 5'minutes and threatened for an hour or so. But I could always see a bit of blue sky and white clouds ahead so I never put on the rain gear.

The construction just north of Wawa had some pretty loose gravel, but after the Alcan it was nothing. The flaggers seemed to like the music. I must have listened to "The Edmund Fitxgerald a dozzen times.

There's a Tim Hortons in Wawa the I stopped in to rest a bit, but got chased away by the coming rain. Once I got South a bit, it cleared up and was sunny all the way in. A bit of rain last night.

Today I will just poke around town, splash some water on the bike and scrape the few bugs off. The last time I cleaned it was Edmonton so it is due.

Funny, I rode half way across Alaska, all the way across the Yukon, Through BC, all the way across Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba, and rode almost a day in Ontario to get to the half way point of Fairbanks/St Johns. Canada is really big......

Old 07-09-2017, 11:04 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Shiny....

...Good stuff

Just tried this product. It really cleans up the black painted cases and covers. I just used a bit of it to try, next time I will put it on much more liberally. I did not Paint test it on the Blue. I will put a bit of it a hidden spot (under the panniers) next time to see if it has any effect.

The following 5 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
5wheels (07-09-2017), boomer16 (07-09-2017), Brit Biker (07-09-2017), lmar (07-09-2017), westay (11-23-2019)
Old 07-09-2017, 04:12 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

The city is full of cool old brick and stone buildings. Lots of old restored houses.

The following users liked this post:
jeffro09 (07-10-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 04:15 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

The locks are definitely worth wandering around. There are a couple of Islands to explore and bikes to rent if you don't want to walk.

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 07-09-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:17 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

I am not much of a fan of museums of mechanical things. I like to see them doing what they are designed for ..... but.... this place is worth walking through. It's the bush plane museum.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:34 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

As directed, I got some ratchet tie downs today. And a 120 volt kettle I can use for a coffee pot (using the coffee packets I highgrade from the motels). Looks like there might be wet tomorrow, so I will shut it down in Owen Sound. Then find Terry. He owes me an explanation why the posted speeds are 80 & 90 KMPH, but if you do it, you are placing your life at risk......

Old 07-09-2017, 05:43 PM
Scorpio09SG
Road Captain
Received 410 Likes on 231 Posts

OMG Rocky! True words were never spoken as they say. Yesterday on the way back from Baconfest in Lucan with the cruise set at 100 kph we were passed by not one, but three vehicles in a row. Damn I wish I knew what everyone's hurry was!
I will explain for sure when I see you but 120 kph around Toronto will be minimum.
Ride safe my friend! See you soon.
Terry

Old 07-10-2017, 05:52 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Not a long road day, about 4 hrs to the boat. Then an hour or so after. Calling for rain in Owen Sound this afternoon. It was nice to have a rest day and the Motel was very quiet. It looks to be a bit of low cloud. Not sure it will be a camera day. And the weather looks unsettled for the next several days. Oh well, I will not Rain Gear up and see how the morning goes. Aiming for the 1:30 sailing. Time to pack and ride.

Later.

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....