Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 09:56 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,080 Likes on 8,912 Posts

I just bought this '09 Electra Glide. She is my first big block. I will get most of the summer off, so I will be taking her on many trips.

This last weekend was her first real run. I picked Norah up in Nelson BC after I ran up the Kootenay Lake road, and we did two loops in the West Kootenays. This weekend we will be heading over to Kelowna. Other plans for the summer include Sturgis, and Desert Trip in Indio California in October. Plus lots of other shorter trips around the Pacific Northwest and further. It will be a great summer. I will be running this thread as a continuous thread for all this year. So check back and view the fun.

Darla is on the very front of the boat, first on and first off. And a shot of the lake crossing itself.

Now, I have wanted an Electra Glide, since I was 16, and that is over 45 years ago. I found "Darla" in the local HD shop, and she was kept in immaculate condition, so after some consideration I bought her. She came pretty well equipped, stage one, lights, mirrors and other Sparkle. I go detach seat and rack, some water bottles, the bag gaurds and a few other things. I have also ordered a seat just like the one on her, as that is borrowed from a buddy.

But, it did not say Electra Glide on her. So I went into the Harley shop and we started looking for the emblems. Had to be raised, had to be chrome and had to say only "Electra Glide". The parts guy started going back, and back, and back, and could find nothing. So I told him to go all the way back to the 60's and low and behold he brings up a fender and trim page, and there they where. So now I knew what they looked like, but to find them. He says "Hold on, their still available, and they are only Twelve bucks each". So I ordered six. Out of everything I wanted on the bike, this is the trick I like the best.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-03-2017 at 07:37 PM.
The following 11 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
04ctd (08-14-2017), benscratchin (09-25-2017), ChicagoBikeDriver (12-21-2019), DanDeleted (12-19-2017), G'day (09-18-2019), GoofySB (02-02-2020), lionsm13 (07-28-2019), LowRiderLiz (11-18-2017), M Oclaf (07-24-2022), nevada72 (02-19-2018), Stud Duck (10-16-2017) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Top Answer

09-03-2019, 06:46 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Ok....’so the almost bought the farm story..... I stopped at the top of the hill above Vernal Utah , and played catch-up on some work messages, and then set off.... there was a white Chevy truck in front of me and he was moving at a decent pace so I stayed behind him.... we start to go around a left hand sweeper and this is what I see.... a tractor trailer coming up the hill at a pretty good speed, and I could here he was throttle up... the white truck moves over to his right side as quickly as he could.... and there is a blue truck passing the Semi.... it’s right at the top of a passing lane where you have to merge.... of course the the blue truck is peddling hard as he has run out of lane.... and he is almost completely in my lane..... I move over as far to the right as I can, and am now riding my white line..... there is no more space for me to go right without ditching..... instinctually I did what I needed to do.... I put the white line in the Center of my windshield and looked down the road at the white line.... look where you want to go.... the blue truck is only a foot or so off my left side.... and we clear....

If the white truck had not been there, I would not have seen him move right, which told me there was a problem.... I would have hit the Blue truck head on, and would be dead. I instinctually moved right and looked where I wanted to go.

Not sure who the bigger ******* was .... the blue truck for passing or the Semi for playing rocket racer .....’a bit down the road there was a construction delay, and the driver of the white truck came back and said he figured I was going down .... we chatted for a bit and I found out he was a retired truck driver who ran the Haul road up to Prudoe Bay back in the day.

Some would call it instinct, some would call it good riding..... no matter how you see it, there where Angels sitting on my shoulders today, guiding my every move.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:50 AM
Peter Griffin
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

We look forward to hearing of your travels.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:05 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Looking forward to yours and Darla's adventures!

I dig the emblems. Makes her look right.

The following 2 users liked this post by BigDogIdaho:
GoofySB (02-02-2020), Missexeccph (12-10-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 01:10 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Looking forward to yours and Darla's adventures!

I dig the emblems. Makes her look right.
Ya, that is what I thought also.

The following users liked this post:
BigDogIdaho (05-11-2017)
Old 05-13-2016, 06:01 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

Darla be a beautiful blue.... oops.... forgive me, am I staring?

porkster (12-21-2019)
Old 05-13-2016, 07:06 PM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Subscribing.

Are those emblems bolt on or adhesive?

Ride on brother!

Old 05-14-2016, 09:49 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by jdw1
Subscribing.

Are those emblems bolt on or adhesive?

Ride on brother!
I am pretty sure they are metal. There are 3 pins on the back that you have to drill for, and they go on with snap washers (?). I drilled the holes with a size to small, then tapped them on with a rubber mallet (a piece of wood wedged between fender and tire) and then used a bit of Gorrila glue on the pins and washers. Seems to be solid. It would have been easier to remove the fender to do the job.

This weekend we ran over to Kelowna through Nakusp & the Faquier Ferry. I am going to see if I can upload a pic from my iPhone ....

Heading out .....

Half way up the lake

Waiting for the boat

Sorry for the quality of the second picture. I will have to see if I can adjust those crappy iphone pictures (and I have a 6) first.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-03-2017 at 07:38 PM.
DanDeleted (12-19-2017)
Old 05-14-2016, 01:25 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Beautiful scenery. and I also think the Electra Glide looks the best on that bike. great choice.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:04 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Yesterday we hung around Harley and bought some riding gear. I got a set of chaps. I have never had them before but now after 7 hours in the saddle I can see why people like them. Today I rode from Kelowna back to Cranbrook. Beautiful sunny day, but still cool when your moving.

Here are some Picts...

This was in Sycamous, where a guy pulled in on his Custom. Funny thing was is that his touring bike is the same year and model as mine.

Heading East as I was climbing up towards the Rogers Pass.

A bit further up

Top of the Rogers pass.

A jet flying over the Bugaboos. This is about 1/2 hour south of Golden.

Columbia Lake. Just south of Fairmont.

Nice little lake just South of Canal Flats.

The following 7 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
Alexspain (03-17-2018), bradleys (07-12-2017), CrBear (07-19-2017), Hraefn (10-22-2017), luisan (07-05-2020), T_MEU$ (10-23-2022), vianos (05-01-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-15-2016, 08:07 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,828 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Subscribed , god I love those mountains.

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....