Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 06:46 PM
JP7
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
If you read the first part of the thread last year you will know that Bear, my best buddy, passed about a year ago. I always had something that was his with me, and at the end of the season it was his blanket. Well, my daughter got a new puppy this year and I happened to have Bears Blanket with me when I was there, so naturally Atlas claimed it. Which is rightfully so, as it is and always was a dogs blanket. So, I knew I had to come up with something .....

Atlas on his "New" blanket.....

With "Grandpa" inside the vest on a cold and wet day .....

And Bear .... where he always was when we walked. Beside me, on the right.

And once again ..... ready for a Great Adventure

"Come on Big Dog, lets go"
That is awesome. Ride safe and I'm looking forward to following along with your new adventures.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:00 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,084 Likes on 8,913 Posts
Default Woo Who!! .... Woo Who!! ..Please allow me to introduce Darla2

.....she's an ElectraGlide of wealth and taste...
She's been around for a short, short year...
But Stole this man's soul and faith....

Old 05-22-2017, 03:13 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Chores.....

I put the bag rails on today. First one took 45 minutes, second one about 5. ....

Now time for the big Modification..... Turn her into an "ElectraGlide .....

Old 05-22-2017, 05:13 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

My Magiver install.....

First I used the badge to make a template on a heavy piece of paper ....

Then I taped the template to the fender, stood back to align ..... then used a very sharp drill bit to mark the holes. I used the hole closest to the bike on both sides to be the guide for the other 2 holes I had to drill .... I found a thick book and placed it between the tire and inside of the fender for obvious reasons ...

When I drilled the hole, I used a bit sized smaller than the pins on the back of the emblam, and then reamed them out to adjust for a very tight fit ....

Once I got the holes close, I used a small hammer to pop them on. The clips where a bit to large, so I closed up just one side a bit to get them to pop on.

Darla is now sporting 1965 Electra Glide front Badges.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:52 PM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Very nice!

Classy for sure!

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (05-23-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 08:06 PM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Great job!!

Old 05-23-2017, 12:10 PM
tomve
Tourer
Received 185 Likes on 111 Posts

Nice look, well done!

Old 05-23-2017, 12:31 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

She's ready ......

Old 05-23-2017, 08:06 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Default A Tale of Three Passes....

Hwy 95, runs from Mexico in the south, to Golden BC, Canada in the North ..... And it runs right through Cranbrook BC which is where I am centered.... The highway in the US was first designated as a significant North/South route back in the 1920's and is still an important corridor in Idaho and Nevada. Most of the North/South routes of the past, have been replaced by Interstates, but 95 was never significantly effected. Idaho has committed to turning it into a four lane highway to ease congestion, and some if it has already been done.

Because it has not been totally replaced, there is still some very good riding on parts of it, and I have ridden a lot of it.

There are three passes in Idaho that you can still get to, that where bypassed with the new construction of the 70's and 80's.

One is just North of Lewiston, and is called "The Old Spiral Highway". Access is either from the top of the hill south of Lewiston, or just off of Highway 128 from down by the river. I have seen it several times, but never ridden it. I think there is 25 to 30 switch backs, and it is just under 8 miles in length.

The second heading south is what is called The Winchester Grade (I am pretty sure it was part of 95 back in the day). Again, a road I have not driven on. It is about 17 miles long, and has what looks like several dozen switchbacks and turns. It connects Culdesac to Winchester. Then you are on back on New 95. And it is about 22 miles from Lewiston to Culdesac.

The third one is about 80 miles south of Lewiston and is called The White Bird grade. This one I have ridden on, but only up. It is about 10 miles from the top of the hill to Whitebird. This is one twisty road, and if my memory serves me correctly, you spend a lot of time in 1st gear. There is, on the map, more 95 heading north, but I have not ridden it, and it might be gravel.

Just North of the town of Whitebird is a battle field where one of the battles of the Nez Perce and the US army took place. I have not visited this site yet.

I head south on Saturday, all things being equal, and I am planning on running down 95 on my way to Death Valley. I am going to ride all three grades and visit the Battlefield.

Of course, there will be photos and descriptions as I proceed.

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 05-23-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:42 PM
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the journeys...will keep watching for more. Hope family is well. Maybe we'll meet along the road one day.

CanadianRocky (05-25-2017)

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....