Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 06:26 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Ok, so I am on Hwy 16. A bit of work on the bike tomorrow, and then I am heading East. Imar and I are going to see if we can grab a cup of Joe somewhere along the way. Then it is 16 all the way to just West of Winterpeg..... with a side track to Ituna, Saskatchewan to visit the old homestead.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:40 PM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

FYI
We stayed at Comfort Inn in Thunder Bay on 61 & Arthur St West 2 years ago with acceptable results, it is just west of Thunder Bay HD. They have (when we where there) motorcycle parking and a hose to was your bike if needed and seemed motorcycle frendly. There might be better places to stay in town just forwarding my experience.

Also had a nice place to stay in Blind River On if you take that route.

We'll we're watching!

Carry on!

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 05:20 AM
Vibeman
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Great posts and photos Rocky2!
I live in Michigan and will be traveling north and entering Canada at Sault Ste. Marie in August. I will be running much the same route as you (reversed) to Edmonton except my "old homestead" detour will be to Clair Sas, not too far from Ituna. I have been following your thread with much interest because from Edmonton I plan to travel the Rockies through Jasper, Banff, and on south to Glacier NP. Your route suggestions and accommodation reviews are great and I will make good use of them. It's almost like having a "scout" running ahead of me! From GNP I will be taking US2 east through Montana, ND, Minnesota, Wisconsin and back into Michigan UP. Thanks for your great posts!
Safe travels.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:28 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by Vibeman
Great posts and photos Rocky2!
I live in Michigan and will be traveling north and entering Canada at Sault Ste. Marie in August. I will be running much the same route as you (reversed) to Edmonton except my "old homestead" detour will be to Clair Sas, not too far from Ituna. I have been following your thread with much interest because from Edmonton I plan to travel the Rockies through Jasper, Banff, and on south to Glacier NP. Your route suggestions and accommodation reviews are great and I will make good use of them. It's almost like having a "scout" running ahead of me! From GNP I will be taking US2 east through Montana, ND, Minnesota, Wisconsin and back into Michigan UP. Thanks for your great posts!
Safe travels.
glad to be of service....lol. ... when you get closer to Jasper, let me know. I have traveled in the Jasper/Glacier area extensively and can give you some pointers.

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 07-03-2017 at 07:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Vibeman (07-04-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 08:32 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Default Accommodations & Food....

I am going to start up a post I should have done along time ago. It will be places I have stayed and eaten at. Maybe I can put it in the signature line for easy reference. This might or might not work.....

5 Star rating system. There will be positives and negatives as I see them, your mileage may vary.

The rating system....

5. The Concierge personally offered to unpack your Motorcycle and wash it for you, the beer is handcrafted by the decendands of a 500 year old secret recipe and the Down in the comforter was hand picked by Vestal Virgins.

4. Some where between a 3 & 5

3. You would take your family there

2. Somewhere between a 1 & 3

1. You will want your gun at some point during your stay, even if only to compare it with everyone else's gun when you are sitting outside in the evening drinking a beer.

I dont like the layout. I am going to switch up to the one at the top is the last place I stayed. But I need to break my laptop out to fix it. I will do that one night.

--------

Thunder Bay, Ontario.... Nights Inn .... 2 .... noisy dump. I hope you do better.

--------

Prawda, Manitoba..... Riverside Motel .... 3.... an older place, but clean. BIG room. Nothing close,
So quiet, Except for a bit of road noise. Small fridge, TV, no coffee pot or microwave. $80 a night. Up the highway is gas , a small store, ice cream. 5 minutes the other way is some of the best Ukrainian food I have had. And strawberry/rubarb pie. I think this is a Motorcycle ride destination place for locals. Called Sopfie's. Eat here. It's up another road, you will need to find it. 1 km up Hwy 11

-------

Melville, Saskatchewan.... Melsask Motel ....3.... clean, cheap, nice woman working the desk. Coffee pot, fridge, microwave. Shower, no bathtub. Parking in front of the door, quiet neighborhood. .... it's an older Saskatchewan little town Mom & Pop, paint is getting a bit worn.

-----

Grand Prairie..... The Igloo Inn ....+2... clean room, decent price, a light continental breakfast.... parking lot messy, outside of building needs attention. Although it was decent on the inside. If your partner is picky, go elsewhere.

-----
Edmonton... The Yellowhead inn..3⭐️... comfy big bed, clean, decent price, helpful staff, coffee, microwave, fridge in the room, good shower, laundry room, good dinner restaurant right in the building .... pillows suck, no tv remote (they offered to give me another room, I declined), parking for the bike was out in the lot.

----

Saskatoon... Thriftlodge...3+⭐️ Comfy bed, clean, decent price, parking right in front of your door, request a ground room... very helpful staff (she told me how to save $20 when I wanted to stay another night). Coffee in the room, fridge, good shower, lots of HD chanels, continental breakfast, includes waffles, fruit, toast & bagels, yogurt, cereal and OJ (?) a free washer and dryer $2 for soap and dryer sheets......A little tough to get into from both directions, AC IN my room was a bit weak. No opening windows. A bit of road noise.

----

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 07-08-2017 at 04:49 AM. Reason: On account.....
The following 2 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
68 XLCH (07-03-2017), Brit Biker (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 11:26 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

"SalmoPass" stopped by to say hi....

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 07-03-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:38 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

Lord livin' Harry! Rocky you are an inspiration. Some roads I never thought I'd travel are now on my bucket list.

Looking forward to your "Ride to the Rock!"

Old 07-03-2017, 08:51 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Imar and I got together in one of those "V" towns in Alberta for coffee. I got kinda lost in one looking for him .... wrong town. Hell, how many Tim Hortons can there be.....? Finally I saw a Red Electra Glide in one .... saved!
Nice to meet up.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:58 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Ok. .... I am hatching a plan ..... how about a "Rendezvous".... like they use to back In the old West ..... next year 018 .... Where else but in Wyoming, Cody to be precise ..... the weekend before Sturgis .... we can ride the Beartooth & Chief Joseph one day... take a spin around Yellowstone another , and poke our way over to Sturgis after .... just a thought.

Bring T-shirts to trade, drink Whisky at the Irma like Buffalo Bill did.

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 07-03-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:08 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Pretty lakes

#9... Saskatchewan

I stopped in this little town for gas. I like finding odd things and they had bicycles painted different colours with flowers in baskets. Kinda cool.

Big Sky, big clouds

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....