Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 09:06 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Last Friday I was traveling through Watson Lake and stopped for second breakfast. It was oil change time and I knew I would need to phone around to get some kind of appointment as I wanted all three done, plus maybe a couple of small things sorted out, after all, I had just run the Alcan, bumps and dusty as hell.

I called the closest dealer, Grand Prairie, and they where open Monday, but busy and would have a very difficult time fitting me in. I wrote that off as an option. One dealer in Edmonton was closed on Monday, and I called the other one. Harley Davidson of Edmonton. They could fit me in, but around 4:30. I explained I was traveling through, and didn't really want to burn a day sitting in a shop, but would do what I had to because I was right at the end of my service recommendation.

The woman on the phone talked to the Service guy, and he said be here early and we will see what we can move around. I was there just after 8 am, and first inline. While I waited, I got out my rags & cleaner and started cleaning (I did get to a power washer the day before so I knocked all the big bugs and 10 days of Alcan off). The door opened, and I went in first.

They wrote the order up. Oil changes and loose muffler. I asked very nicely if I could leave my gear on if it was not going to be a problem, explaining that it was a bit top and back heavy. She asked the service guy and he said it was alright. A few minutes later the tech came out to get Darla, and they sent another fellow to help balance the bike .... nice touch... and then got it in and started working on her right after 9.

I went back to the Service Writer and asked her if I could be a pest. She said sure, so I asked if it would be possible to have the heal shifter removed (I only use it to find neutral, and it would have been very helpful when in the construction zones to be able to stand up when necessary, from my Adventure Tour days, to control the bike better) and she said sure.

SalmoPass and I where chatting it up and he said he would like to get a picture of the bike. Now it was still going to be another hour or so ......so I went back to the Service Writer, and asked again if I could pester her .... she said sure.

I asked most politely if it was possible for Salmo and me to get a picture of us in front of the bike, in the shop ..... and the got big signs saying "NO ENTRY" so I knew I was asking a lot.

After a bit we get permission. So We go in, and there was another woman walking around I had not yet met. She was the one who took the picture. I had a chance to chat with her later, and it turns out she is one of the owners. Her and her brother. Their dad started it up.

Salmo leaves, and I am burning a bit of time. Looked at a XR 1200 Sporster (I want another ADV and it would be a good start), had coffee, bought an alarm for my cover and got to talk to the Boss for a bit. We got to talk about Boss stuff, both of us being one, and I got to comment on how Customer Centric they are. (Customer Centricity, is what my entire company was built, and based on ..... ya, ya, shut up about work and get back to the story...sheesh...)

A little bit later a young lad, we will call him "babe" (explanation later) comes out and asked me if I want a spline cover over the shaft where they took the rear shifter off. Yup. And we chatted a few minutes on how well the M8 runs even on crap gas. I asked him how the oil looked, he said he would find out, I also asked him to check the tire tread depth. He said he would.

See, the list just longer and longer. Now, I did tell them I was coming from Alaska, via California, originating in BC, and on my way to "The Rock" so they where very accommodating.

After a bit, I see it in the Service Writer area. She is done. I go out and that is when I found out the muffler rubber mount was broke.... $25 including labour.... Not bad for a 10 day Alaska/Yukon/BC/Alcan Pot Hole Construction Zone Bitch Slap.

Young Lad (babe) says the tires are at about 60% front, and 70% rear. If it keeps going the same, that will give me close to 20,000 miles on the front, and the same on the back. That's pretty good.

So he says he likes the colour. I said "The Colour is a Babe Magnet". Then I said "So that makes you a babe". The Service writers got a good laugh out of that.

Anyways, I square up the bill and say my goodbyes.

All in all, all the way from the original call in Watson Lake to when I left, my Experience at their shop was exceptional. From the Service Writer to the Service Babe to the Technician to the Boss.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:10 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

A very big thank you to "The Crew" at Harley Davidson of Edmonton. A good job, well done.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:05 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

I realized last night I have not had a Rest Day since Anchorage, so I am going to take one today and stay in Saskatoon. It's a nice motel, I will update that later. And I will run out and do a few chores.

The following users liked this post:
red sport. (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 08:00 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

So, I think I found the original 1903 Korchinski homestead on Google Earth. That is tomorrow's project. To get there and take some picts. Just poked around Saskatoon today, got a really good dry bag I needed, some bits and pieces from Canadian Tire I wanted, sat downtown at the Starbucks and coffee'd for a few hours. Reorganized my gear (AGAIN). Got caught up on laundry..... all the things you need to do to catch up. I should be good now all the way to Southern Ontario. I am figuring on 4/5 days to the boat at South Baymouth.

Hey Terry, send me some info on that crossing. Will I need to reserve a spot? I figure on loading Monday or Tuesday. I imagine Sunday is busy....

Old 07-04-2017, 08:49 PM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

https://www.ontarioferries.com/en/home/

You will be on the Chi-Cheemaun

We crossed the third week in July 2015, made our reservations 24 hours in advance without any reservation/room problems, FYI. It's a beautiful ride!
Don't mean to butt in, just trying to help.

Last edited by jdw1; 07-04-2017 at 08:51 PM.
CanadianRocky (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 08:56 PM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

If you get a chance while in Saskatoon, take a walk around the Bessborough Hotel on Spadina Crescent. The park on Spadina is beautiful.

Last edited by lmar; 07-04-2017 at 08:59 PM.
CanadianRocky (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 10:57 PM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

CR2, one other thing about the boat crossing, they have line to secure your mc, you secure it yourself. I purchased 4 Hog ties to go on my mc and fastened the lines to the Hog Ties. If you should ever ride the SS Badger you will have to provide your own ratchet straps or form of load securement, being a trucker you get that, just an FYI. You might need them for other crossings in the future. So my point is if you want your own buy at your convenience and carry them on your mc.

One more thing, so after I had our bike secured the rider parked behind me had all his lines pulling one direction, forward, I wasted some time and after he left the area I tied off a line pulling back so his bike would not hit mine. Sad to think you have to look out for other people's shortcomings but it is what it is! So just make sure the bikes around you are secure. I'm sure you know all this, I'm just saying!

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...ies-soft-hooks

Old 07-05-2017, 07:17 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by jdw1
CR2, one other thing about the boat crossing, they have line to secure your mc, you secure it yourself. I purchased 4 Hog ties to go on my mc and fastened the lines to the Hog Ties. If you should ever ride the SS Badger you will have to provide your own ratchet straps or form of load securement, being a trucker you get that, just an FYI. You might need them for other crossings in the future. So my point is if you want your own buy at your convenience and carry them on your mc.

One more thing, so after I had our bike secured the rider parked behind me had all his lines pulling one direction, forward, I wasted some time and after he left the area I tied off a line pulling back so his bike would not hit mine. Sad to think you have to look out for other people's shortcomings but it is what it is! So just make sure the bikes around you are secure. I'm sure you know all this, I'm just saying!

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...ies-soft-hooks
When you cross from Victoria to Port Angles you need to Tie Down your bike also. I did that last year on my first trip south on Darla1. I always carry a 100 ft of 2,000 lb climbers rope with me. Of course, that's the trucker in me. Lol. I did the same as you, made sure none of the other bikes would move into mine. I crosss tied it, same as if I was tying down a 15,000 lb wheel motor on a flat Deck..... it just wasn't -30f with a 20 mph wind like it use to be up in The Fording river valley..... one of the other bikers asked me what I was doing, I said "triangles, Son, triangles".

Old 07-05-2017, 07:31 AM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,316 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Read the entire thread. Awesome trips and pics. Thinking about doing Alaska next year so I read your pointers, as well. Like you, I like photography but every time I'm on a trip actually stopping and taking pictures is difficult. I just want to keep going because I'm usually in a hurry. If I do Alaska I'll have to make sure to stop and get some pics.

CanadianRocky (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 07:48 AM
Scorpio09SG
Road Captain
Received 410 Likes on 231 Posts

Good Morning Rocky.

As jdw1 says their website is ontarioferries.com.
From what I remember the ferry holds 38 motorcycles, 18 in the front and 20 in the back.
They do supply tie-downs (rope) but I have always brought my own. We have only once made reservations and found them not to be necessary. If you are at the ferry terminal an hour before loading that was plenty of time. Even if you make a reservation they will require you to be there an hour ahead. It's up to you but making a reservation just gives you that comfort level.
Other than that it is an awesome ride! Enjoy!

Cheers and safe riding!
Terry

Last edited by Scorpio09SG; 07-05-2017 at 07:51 AM.
CanadianRocky (07-05-2017)

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....