Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 09:13 PM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Great to see all those pictures of your friends from the road. Real cool. Nothing like being "on the road".

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 09:55 PM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 776 Likes on 499 Posts

Really enjoyed the pictures of the friends you made along the way. I wonder how many will end up on this forum watching your journeys.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:01 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,362 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Wow, just wow.

I wish I was as fortunate as you, when it comes to ride time.

CanadianRocky (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 10:04 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Originally Posted by SWMB
Really enjoyed the pictures of the friends you made along the way. I wonder how many will end up on this forum watching your journeys.
I told most of them how to find it. I thought about making up cards to hand out, but that just seems to pretentious to me.

5wheels (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 01:24 AM
Peter Griffin
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Great landscape photos, finishing up with the people you meet on the way was a nice touch.

CanadianRocky (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 11:19 AM
tomve
Tourer
Received 185 Likes on 111 Posts

Enjoy following along on your adventures. Thanks

Old 07-21-2017, 08:02 PM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
I told most of them how to find it. I thought about making up cards to hand out, but that just seems to pretentious to me.
Hey Rocky, make the cards, anyone who does road trips will love this. The pictures have been awesome, and lots of tips and ideas from lots of the people that have followed you. Can't wait til Sept. when I hit the road.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:13 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

I picked her up yesterday. Jay did the oil and filter, a nut & bolt check ( everything was tight), replaced the filter with a K&N (but I kept the stock cover) and took apart all the handlebar switch gear and cleaned her out. He also checked the tires and pretty much eyeballed the bike from one end to the other. The tires are at about 50%. There was a couple looking at a New Electra Glide, so Mark said "Here's the guy you need to talk to about the M8 engine" I gave them my speel and went over my experience with Darla and the HOG extended tow package. As usual I talked too much, and then left Mark alone to cut the deal. I did ask Mark if he wanted any help with selling "T-shirts, hats and shiny bits". They all laughed and the woman said maybe I should work in sales. I said "....Work??" They are planning a two week ride on the new 'Glide on the Oregon coast so I gave them a heads up on a few pointers and said it was all on the thread and gave them the addy so they could look if they wanted.

Mark just sold Old Darla a few weeks ago and he said he had more than one person who has read the the thread pop in as they travel through and saw her out front and asked if it was her ..... too funny.

They are good people at Kootenay HD. The parts & service guys, the women who work the front counter, the wrenches, Mark and Chuck (the owner). They will take care of you. Stop in for a T-shirt and tell them Rocky said hi. They have a great selection of Iron, shiny bits & clothes and guys in the back who know Harley's and how to fix them.

I got a set of highway pegs and found out I had a store credit for a couple of hundred dollars so only had to pony up $60 for them. Kootenay Harley Davidson has an Oil Change for life deal, so pretty much they are all paid for now, so all in it was a $500 day.

I rode her home yesterday and then back into Cranny to go to the show .... Dunkirk, a very good show, especially the Airplane scenes.... and here's the thing .... after 6 weeks and 13,000 miles of riding her almost every day, I feel like she is an extension of my body, mind and soul. And it just doesn't feel "right" sitting in my cage.

I did some chores at work over the last few days. One of my guys is off for a bit on an extended medical leave and the person I hired to replace him didn't work out (...you think I am tough to work for?? My staff has higher expectations than I do..she couldn't cut mustard with them....). So, I am going to have to step back into work for a bit this fall. I am reporting back for duty in September. And will be taking on Gary's work until he is back. Summers are always our slowest times (no one wants to train, they want to go to the beach) and the fall is busy.

So, I got 6/7 weeks of traveling time before I have to report for duty ...... and as you all know, I seem to be able to travel a bit of distance in that amount of time. I head out Tuesday if all my ducks are in order.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:07 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Time to share the plan....

...."Under pressure from the European Americans, in the late 19th century the Nez Perce split into two groups: one side accepted the coerced relocation to a reservation and the other refused to give up their fertile land in Idaho and Oregon. Those willing to go to a reservation made a treaty in 1877. The flight of the non-treaty Nez Perce began on June 15, 1877, with Chief Joseph, Looking Glass, White Bird, Ollokot, Lean Elk (Poker Joe) and Toohoolhoolzote leading 2,900 men, women and children in an attempt to reach a peaceful sanctuary. They intended to seek shelter with their allies the Crow but, upon the Crow's refusal to offer help, the Nez Perce tried to reach the camp in Canada of Lakota Chief Sitting Bull. He had migrated there instead of surrendering after the decisive Indian victory at the Battle of the Little Bighorn.

The Nez Perce were pursued by over 2,000 soldiers of the U.S. Army on an epic flight to freedom of more than 1,170 miles (1,880 km) across four states and multiple mountain ranges. The 800 Nez Perce warriors defeated or held off the pursuing troops in 18 battles, skirmishes, and engagements. More than 300 US soldiers and 1,000 Nez Perce (including women and children) were killed in these conflicts.

A majority of the surviving Nez Perce were finally forced to surrender on October 5, 1877, after the Battle of the Bear Paw Mountains in Montana, 40 miles (64 km) from the Canada–US border. Chief Joseph surrendered to General Oliver O. Howard of the U.S. Cavalry. During the surrender negotiations, Chief Joseph sent a message, usually described as a speech, to the US soldiers. It has become renowned as one of the greatest American speeches: "...Hear me, my chiefs, I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever.".... From Wikipedia

I am going to ride from Home to Old Chief Joseph's burial site (I have been there twice before) in Joseph, Oregon ... down through Eastern Washington and come up through Hells Canyon. I will then trace the route as best as I can on paved roads. Much of the original trail is dirt, 4x4 and foot trail.

The Orange Markers are where some of the battles and incidents occurred. I am using a map I got from the Tourist place on top of the Lolo pass. I will also be using a Guide I have on my phone from the USDA. And I am going to get a book to read along the way.

I built the map in Google maps.... twice... damn thing wont save....

Old 07-22-2017, 07:09 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

This will be epic.

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....