Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 02:27 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,106 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Oh ya, what I didn't mention was that the original plan for that holiday was to take our truck and fully equipped and almost new 24 ft Travel Trailer. Why we didn't was because I forgot to take some hamburger out of its freezer about 2 weeks before on its shake down run .....

Old 08-02-2017, 05:09 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,361 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
Oh ya, what I didn't mention was that the original plan for that holiday was to take our truck and fully equipped and almost new 24 ft Travel Trailer. Why we didn't was because I forgot to take some hamburger out of its freezer about 2 weeks before on its shake down run .....

Old 08-02-2017, 05:52 PM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

I thought you might get a kick out of this pict.... it is just a bit east of West Glacier in a campground we use to frequent. My wife at the time is sitting in the back, my youngest is on her lap, my eldest sat behind me on the Sporster. We where part way into a 10 day run. All our camping gear is tied to the back or the bike. And we eat at the campground so there is a full kit with a cooler in it also.

What you can't see is that about 20 minutes later we are broke down on the side of the road with a dead and pooched battery. And rain was threatening. I stripped the bike, set up the tent on a guys from lawn and grabbed the battery. As I was walking across the highway I looked back and my wife looked at me with a curious eye and said " So this is part of it, right?" I got to the other side of the road and stuck my thumb out heading back North into Kalispell.... a car heading south drives by, wipes a unturn and picks me up. He takes me into Kalispell and we find a battery at the secon place we tried.

We get back to the bike, put the battery in and fire it up. I thank him, and he said "I just could not keep going with your family on the side of the road".

I get the gear loaded up and we head out on our way to Spokane, cut across country and fuel up before I get on I-90. My youngest is sound asleep on her mothers legs, she is reading a book and my eldest is enjoying the ride.

Of course we are going to camp, but I know they need a treat for their patience. As we go through Wallace, Idaho I see there is a brand new Best Western so I pull in and went to the receptionist. I asked "Do you have a room with two beds?" She says "yes ". I said, "I will take it". She asked "Don't you want to know the price?" I said " Please don't bother me with details".

There was a pool, restaurant and one very happy family unit.

The funny thing is, is that my wife said it was the best vacation she ever had. I did all the driving, all the camp set up and break down and always cooked. All she did was sit in her chair and read ..... that's right, look deep enough on the rig and there where even lawn chairs.

What a great family pic!

Old 08-03-2017, 08:00 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Default When the Planets align....

First you have to lose a kinfe.... so you need one... then you head down to the Harley shop to see if they have one.... then you change you mind, and say "I will stop in tomorrow,and just head home"... then you see Mark standing out front of the shop in his big yellow shirt, (of course Mark had to wear a yellow shirt on this day, or you would not have seen him), and then you decide that going home is not so important, so you pull into the Harley shop to chat with Mark, and to see what they have for pocket knifes anyway.... Then you see what all the people are looking at.

And it turns out to be a 1952 Harley Davidson Panhead... a motorcycle they built in the year you where born. And Mark make you an offer you just cannot refuse.

So you buy it.....

...I am pleased to introduce to you "Darla3"....

Old 08-03-2017, 08:14 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

And then you have to decide.... which one will it be....

Restored back to almost original.... like this...

Or like the the time I built it in Photoshop, several years ago.....

Old 08-03-2017, 08:29 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,361 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Nice, but I was hoping he found your knife....lol.

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 08:33 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by jeffro09
Nice, but I was hoping he found your knife....lol.
The knife WAS older.....

Old 08-03-2017, 08:45 PM
wyoming55
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Cool old bike, nice ending to the knife story, Id go with the Photoshop version, although it makes financial sense nowadays to go original. Bet that bike could tell a few stories

Old 08-03-2017, 09:31 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

First you have to lose a kinfe.... so you need one... then you head down to the Harley shop to see if they have one.... then you change you mind, and say "I will stop in tomorrow,and just head home"... then you see Mark standing out front of the shop in his big yellow shirt, (of course Mark had to wear a yellow shirt on this day, or you would not have seen him), and then you decide that going home is not so important, so you pull into the Harley shop to chat with Mark, and to see what they have for pocket knifes anyway.... Then you see what all the people are looking at.

And it turns out to be a 1952 Harley Davidson Panhead... a motorcycle they built in the year you where born. And Mark make you an offer you just cannot refuse.

So you buy it.....

...I am pleased to introduce to you "Darla3"....

I hate when that happens!

An American Beauty, congrats.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:00 PM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Nice!

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....