Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Old 10-07-2018, 08:42 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,076 Likes on 8,910 Posts
Default One last glorious Sunday ride....

The weather has been iffy here lately. Not much morning rides as it is pretty cold, and we have had some rain. But it broke loose today and I got in a great Sunday ride. Of course, it is not just chilly in the morning, but damn cold. The truck window was all iced up at 8 when I got up, so I just sat around until close to 10 having coffee, then drove into town to get the Pan ready to go. Once I was all suited up and the bike had been wiped down, I headed over for coffee to wait for it to warm up a bit more, and for Don to show up. Don is my oldest friend, whom I have been riding with for over 30 years. Don showed up at Hot Shots and we had another coffee to see if it would warm up a bit more, and of course..... it didn't. It was right around 43f when we finally set out. I put on my electric vest, but did not plug it in as I knew I would be stopping lots for pictures, and could always plug it in then. We rode out to Fort Steel, and then down to Bull River to have a burger at the Bull River Inn. Once we warmed up and got fed, we headed south down to Hwy 3, then over the bridge to find Ha Ha creek road and rode it back to the highway. I stopped as often as I could to get a pict, but never shut the Pan down, mostly so I would not have to kick it back to life. All in all it was about a 3 hour day riding, shooting and eating.

Poured a nice glass of Chivas to warm up my tired old bones while i update....

I switched up the "In Memory Of" this time. As it is the last real ride I will take this year, I went to the first entries on the list, as opposed to working my way up from the bottom. And it is in their own words now. But I have shortened some of the posts a bit. I appologize if I have left out something that is important to you....

A small map for the map lovers.....

Its only about a 50 mile rounder, but enough for a crisp day on a shaky Panhead, and nice ride through the changing colors.

Nothing happens before Morning coffee. This is at the Hot Shots coffee shop, one of my places that I frequent. I have met other HDF fellow travelers there.

for Dyna2008's brother...."In remembrance of David G.Shultz 04/22/51to 05/12/ 18. You were more than a brother to me. You were a friend and I miss you. See you again someday. Fly on Dave. Fly on!"

Just West of Cranbrook a bit. This is before you go down the short grade to Fort Steele, that is Fischer Peak framed between the trees.

for Dirty Harrys Buddy......."4 years ago he left his daughters house after riding there for her Birthday party. He was riding through a curve and a witness said he lowered his head and wrecked at the curve. He was in a coma for two weeks in intensive care. The Docs didn't see any brain function and when they unplugged him he simply passed away. He was the brother I never had even though we were not blood relatives. He was a Viet Nam Marine , one of the finest musicians I ever knew and was always there for advice. I miss him and we made some great memories. He founded the group "Heartsfield" that was popular in the early70's in Chicago land. Good by brother till we see each other again. You know you were loved !!!"

On the Fort Steel/Bull River road. In the distance are Is the Purcell Range of the Columbia Mountains. It is only about 15 miles across the valley, but about 250 million years back in time that separates the Purcell's from the Rockies.

for Tonebenders Best Bro, David Francisco..... "Today marks the 22nd anniversary of his passing. He was killed July 4, 1996 in a single car accident. He was my best Bro. We rode many miles together and lived many wild tales. I took a 100 mile memorial ride this morning thinking and reflecting on the times we shared. I still miss him everyday."

A bit further down the road, and we can see the Steeples Range between the Trees. This looking South

for rOde_runr's son.... "Okay, I will post it here. My son Scott passed away at his home on 28th Dec just a week before his 29th birthday. He had an 09 Road King and had been riding metrics for about 12 years. We toured Colorado, Utah and Arizona this passed summer. Scott fought in Afghanistan as a Combat Engineer and had about 4 years on the Derby KS police force working Third Shift. While we are all saddened greatly by his loss, we are also proud of the man he was and the lives he saved during his selfless service to our country and his community. If you would please share this link to help us care for his family I would appreciate it"

This is at Norbury Provincial Park. There is now a gate into Take 5 ranch, so I cant get in there anymore.

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 10-07-2018 at 09:13 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
1Canuck (10-07-2018), 5wheels (10-08-2018), J F GO (10-08-2018), mtgriz (10-07-2018), rjheff (10-08-2018), Sarah93003 (10-08-2018), SWMB (10-07-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-07-2018, 09:00 PM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 776 Likes on 499 Posts

Great pictures as always Rocky those look like beautiful roads to take a leisurely Sunday ride on.

The following 2 users liked this post by SWMB:
CanadianRocky (10-07-2018), Sarah93003 (10-08-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 09:12 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

For uklauren's riding buddy, Vern"I just heard today that one of my riding buddies has passed. Vern I hope you rest in peace, you had a heart of gold, a selfless person and you will be missed. Dammit."

Bull mountain and a reminder we where heading for hamburgers.

Bull River Inn. He makes some of the best hamburgers anywhere. We where not the only Riders out and about today.

for Norty Flatz's friend, Chuck "Chuck worked at Batan Rouge Harley Davidson in 1946. He moved to San Diego a year or 2 later. He opened a Harley Davidson dealership in 1949, then moved it to El Cajon, Ca in 1953. He was not only an owner of a Harley Dealership, but he actually knew how to ride motorcycles! Chuck started dirt racing in 1946, hill climbing and trials on Harleys. (Try THAT!) Chuck spent over 50 years riding and promoting the HD brand. He served 3 terms as President of the Southern California dealers association. He was instrumental in developing the "Laughlin River Run." After 51 years in the dealership business, he sold his interest in 1999 to his daughter".

Just a bit south of Bull River, that is Kootenay river and the Purcell's in the background.

for Kerr8005's brother.... "My brother James has been fighting alcoholism for many years. His ex wife died about 6 months ago. This is when he really spiraled out of control. We ( me, older bro, and his GF) tried to get him to seek help. I found him dead Wednesday night." James was a guy with the biggest heart when sober. We had so many great times. Had some terrible times too. I will miss him greatly."

On Ha Ha creek road. A nice short diversion on an old road.

for oldsoldier181's friend, Charlie "My local HOG chapter in MA lost a good friend last Wednesday. Charlie Truax. He was our chapter's photographer, a career army vet, and a great guy all around. He mentored new people into the chapter. He helped organize rides for the chapter. He was instrumental in getting me enrolled in the VA, and getting me some vet services I wouldn't have done otherwise. The women in my chapter always referred to themselves as "Charlie's angels" when riding. There is a huge hole in our chapter right now. He was dropped off by another chapter member Wednesday evening after a Rolling Thunder meeting. That was the last anyone saw him. He was not married, nor had any kids. He is survived by at least one sister (who is active in the chapter) and his mother. I don't know the cause of death. He wasn't a drinker, or did he use drugs. He did have some health issues, but I don't know the specifics. Anyway, I just wanted to share this. We lost a good man this week. An icon within our chapter. To Valhalla, fellow warrior. May your eternity be spent riding on sunny days and twisty roads!"

Ha Ha creek road and a small lake. Mt Baker in the background.

The following users liked this post:
mtgriz (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 10:01 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

The “in their own words” addition to your photo notations is moving. Fellow riders out there have written beautiful pieces about their remembrance of a lost friend. Thanks for taking the extra effort to include those.

The following 2 users liked this post by mtgriz:
CanadianRocky (10-07-2018), Sarah93003 (10-08-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 10:12 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,356 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Looks like a great day. Damn cold weather is moving in on me as well, but tomorrow is supposed to be 80°, and I have the day off.

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (10-08-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 10:16 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

now I know Canada has a mount Baker too. I am used to the one visible down here just over the border in Washington

Old 10-07-2018, 10:27 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
now I know Canada has a mount Baker too. I am used to the one visible down here just over the border in Washington
I erred. It’s Baker Mountain. Lol.

The following 2 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
1Canuck (10-07-2018), J F GO (10-08-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 06:32 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Default A little something I worked on this summer.....

It Cannot be Described, Only Experienced…

….. it happens at about 4 weeks… but I get ahead of myself.

You prepare for your ride and it will be like no others you have taken. You are heading out for an indefinite period of time. It might be 8 weeks, it might be 10…. It might be all summer.

You pack carefully because you want to make sure you have enough gear. Your daily stuff, your weekly stuff, and what you might need that you cannot anticipate. You tie it down on the Harley, but you will go through many packing days until you get it right. The gear you need at a moments notice, the gear you need in case the Motels are all full, the gear you need to experiment with….. the gear you take, just because there is room to pack it in.

You even pack things you will never need. Because you are trying to take “Home with you”. But you are mistaken, and you have no idea how mistaken you are, because it will be weeks before you truly understand the Journey you are about to leave on.

You have a plan, but one day the plan will morf into something that cannot be anticipated. You have a map, maybe a real one, maybe one in your head, maybe it is paper, maybe it is in your Navigator.

It started, you are packed, you have your map and you set off, not knowing everything is about to change, forever. Hours turn into miles, miles turn into days, days turn into roads, roads turn into weeks. You break down at the end of the day, you pack up in the morning. Every time you pack, it is better than it was before. It turns into an art form that you never really perfect, as art is not perfection, it is an experience.

It rains, it is sunny, it is cold, it is hot. Gas stops become an opportunity to communicate with folks you will never met again, and each time you want to stay with them to find out who they are, but you cannot, as they begin to hold you back. Not from your destination, because you have already reached it. Each stop becomes its own event. You stop on the side of the road, where no one is. This becomes your lunch stop for the day. In the high desert, on the ocean beach, by the winding river, on the bench in the small town that becomes so familiar even in all their differences.

This goes on for days and weeks…. And Then it all changes, first gradually, then quickly….. You had a destination, but it becomes clear that you where wrong. It was not a point on a map, it was place in your mind. It was not a physical place ……, a place too perfect for this world, a place you never dreamed of ….. Intangible…. sublime …. ghostly….. weather no longer matters, the food tastes different, the road feels different, you are no longer riding the bike on a road…. you have become part of them. You begin to stop more often to take pictures, because you wonder if you will come by this way again. You stay an extra day in what you would have thought before was the middle of nowhere, but now you realize that you have always been coming here, to this point in time, on this point of land. And that those points are always moving.

That is when you realize that you are not going anywhere. You have always been where you are now. You cannot go home, because you are home. You never left.

There is no description of this feeling. Because it can Only be experienced…. 4 weeks out, on a 10 week ride into your own soul.

About 4 weeks out ...... on the AlCan, between Watson Lake and Fort Nelson.

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 10-11-2018 at 06:47 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
5wheels (10-11-2018), AtticusFinch (10-12-2018), jeffro09 (10-12-2018), JP7 (10-11-2018), Odd986 (05-06-2019), rjheff (10-14-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-13-2018, 08:17 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

There have been a few changes. I first signed up as CanadianRocky, but forgot the Password after being away for quite a while, so added the “2”. I asked for the 2 to be removed and went back to the “Original Recipe Canuck”. Also, I was asked to become a Moderator and acepted.

This weekend looks good so I will be riding the Pan a bit, then she gets put away for the winter.

The following 5 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
1Canuck (10-13-2018), 5wheels (10-13-2018), BinIdaho (10-13-2018), Scorpio09SG (10-14-2018), SWMB (10-13-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 08:06 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

I got out a bit on the Pan yesterday and today, but that's it for the season. Both are undercover now. I did not get to ride the eGlide as much as I wanted..., but I was on the Pan a lot, even if just around town. I love riding that bike. I am going to be busy at work this fall and winter so that pretty much wraps the season for me. I will catch up when I can... those moving over to Winter sports, enjoy.... those able to keep on riding all year, well I am envious.

It was an honor to bring you along again this year when I could ride, and a pleasure when you could partake in "The Journey".

Here is a bit of a Journey in itself.....

A hipster 40 years before it became "cool", circa 1975....

... first ride to Yellowstone, Circa 1977...

...first big touring bike, Circa 1979.... Look at the Boots....

... on my way to Yellowstone, 1983....

.. on my way back from Vancouver, Circa 1992.

The following 4 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
AtticusFinch (10-16-2018), Odd986 (05-06-2019), Scorpio09SG (10-15-2018), SWMB (10-15-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....