Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Beckley WV

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 11:23 AM
Chief2505
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Beckley WV

Currently working on trip planning to southern West Virginia. I have the tour guide books from the state and it appears to be a lot of great roads and places to see and do.

My question for the group is where would you suggest staying in the Beckley area? We will be there 6 nights. I have looked at cabins, resorts and motels. Most of the cabins and resorts are very pricey. Reading through reviews of the motels I do not get any warm and fuzzy feelings.

Camping is out, my wife is a 3 star kind of gal. hell lately I think she has graduated to 4 star even!

Oh I am also thinking of river rafting or ziplining one day while there. Any suggestions for a good place to do that?

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-02-2016, 11:38 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Do the coal mine exhibit.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:25 PM
lbarnwell
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did Gravity Zip lines near the New River Gorge twice. It was great, and they did an excellent job. There is also white water rafting in the same area. Can't say anything about lodging in the area, we stayed with friends in White Sulfur Springs.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:22 PM
Chief2505
Tourer

Ahh White Sulphur Springs! That brings back memories! got stuck in a 3 hour gas line there on our way to Virginia back in 2012 after that big storm went through! And just as we got to the pumps the fire marshal shut the station down because there was too much traffic in the little town. Thankfully a state trooper came along and said you are the only gas station in 100 miles that has power and fuel and he turned the pumps back on! We quickly filled our tanks and got out of town before the trooper, fire marshal and mayor got done arguing over who had jurisdiction!

Last edited by Chief2505; 06-03-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:56 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Country Inns and Suites on Harper Road is usually pretty good. Lot of places to eat nearby. Traffic in Beckley sucks between 3 and 6pm weekdays so plan on coming back late. Lots of good riding in any direction. Let me know what you want to see and I can recommend some routes. I work in Beckley and live about 45 min east.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:12 PM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

I would check into Twin Falls State Park. It is in a remote area loaded with twisties in every direction. I also believe it is newly renovated. Cabin rates seem fair as well as the lodge.

http://www.twinfallsresort.com/rates.html

Things to do:
New River Gorge
Hawks Nest
Kanawha Falls
Mystery Hole
http://adventurechallenge.wvu.edu/canopy-tour
Cranberry Glades Area

Places to Eat:
Pie & Pints (Fayetteville: While you are visiting the New River Gorge)

Old 06-02-2016, 10:11 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Stayed at a Fairfield Inn & Suites Lewisburg, West Virginia 24901
Did the coal mine tour (about $20 per person),
The ride under & across the river at New River Gorge Bridge (free) search youtube for a video.
Made reservations in advance for the nuclear bunker tour at the Greenbrier hotel about $30 per person...Not everyone will appreciate the nuclear bunker tour or the cost but if you walk the nice grounds of the resort to have lunch at the golf club then it does makes for a nice "tourist day".
Note: They make you park the bike across the street just outside the hotel grounds by the Amtrak train station, just across from hotel security gate...Nobody stops at the train station since it is just used by employees to park and the train is a left over from the active nuclear bunker times. The train was a haul as out of DC thing.
The New River Gorge area has the activities you requested.

Last edited by im; 06-03-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:00 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is Dirty Ernie's Rib Pit still open just of 19? That's a great place to eat if it is.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:18 PM
Chief2505
Tourer

Thank you everyone for the information. I guess lodging in that neck of the woods just runs a bit on the high side.

Twin falls looks good but it is a bit farther out than I was wanting.

I have the Motorcycle tours guide book for southern WV and it outlines many great routes. But by looking at the map I don't think I can go wrong on most any of the roads in this part of the country!

The coal mine exhibit in Beckley is on my list of things to do as well as the New River Gorge bridge. Hopefully the waterfalls in the area will be flowing in August. We plan to ride both the north and south coal heritage routes.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:25 PM
miami
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

when riding in that area follow the speed limit sign to the letter.

Quick Reply: Beckley WV