Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Traveling light for an overnight!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 10:26 PM
181fsc
Tourer
Received 158 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Traveling light for an overnight!

I'm sitting here tonight talking with my wife about the trips we took off on this past summer and we realized that the best overnight trip we took was up in Robinsville NC with our tent at Kickstand campground. We covered alot of ground the first day and put our tent up right at dark, flopped out inside and you could see the stars and moon through the top of the tent. (Didnt put the rain tarp on) I think looking back, it has kinda steered me in the direction I foresee us exploring this upcoming year. I enjoyed the motel stays with my dad when we covered alot of miles a day on trips and such, but it is a total different experience with the bike/tent camping that seemed to break up this fast pace world alittle bit. Can't express enough, I lived in the field in the army, camped a ton as a civilian and such, but IF you have never camped out, (ruffing it) on your scoot, then you owe it to yourself to give it a try. My 48 looked sexy shadowing through the tent from the one streetlight at the entrance too. Ha...ha... Hope some of y'all will give it a try this upcoming year if you havent.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:29 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,082 Likes on 8,913 Posts

I spent about 50 night in motels this last summer on "Journeys" but next summer I am planning on camping most of it. Riding motel to motel is ok, you can cover a lot of ground without the set up/break down time, but I want to do a slower paced trip in 17'.

And there is something about the camaraderie you will get in a campground you just wont get in a hotel/motel setting.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:55 PM
Wedgeply
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you guys tell me what you pack for a tent, sleeping bags?, etc. I just bought a heritage classic and am trying to figure out how and what to pack for the wife and I. Want, rather need to pack light but want the wife to be comfortable sleeping.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:54 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

For two people, take a 3 person tent. I have a lightweight cot, with a foam so my back does not get cold. Lightweight down sleeping bags, good for just below freezing temperatures. You will find lightweight stuff is expensive, if what you want is to keep warm. I take a base layer, that I can wear on cold days when riding, and it also works on cold nights to keep you warm in the bags.

When you wake up, it is always cold in the mountains, so a nice down jacket for mornings is good. It also doubles as an inner jacket when riding.

Take waterproof jackets for rainy days. And a nice pair of light hikers. And flashlights, and extra batteries.

One of the most important things is to take lightweight pack-able chairs. There is nothing worse after a long day in the saddle and then sitting with no back support. Kermit chairs look good for that.

Also, get a waterproof bag to put all the gear in.

Also, get a lightweight stove so on cold wet mornings you can get up and make your better half a hot cup of coffee while she is still in the bag staying dry while listening to the rain on the top of he tent...... It will go a long way .... trust me....

Packing for light, dry and comfortable is not inexpensive. I bet there is $1,500 worth of gear in my camping bag just for me.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:19 PM
181fsc
Tourer
Received 158 Likes on 63 Posts

Wow. You got it going on. We just had sleeping bags, a pillow, some cold drinks and snacks. Got up the next morning and rode out to a hot breakfast somewhere then off to where ever.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:25 PM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

take a few chemlights with you for that evening ambiance.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:27 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by 181fsc
Wow. You got it going on. We just had sleeping bags, a pillow, some cold drinks and snacks. Got up the next morning and rode out to a hot breakfast somewhere then off to where ever.
I plan for the worst, and hope for the best .... then find a five start hotel when it craps out.... lol

Old 11-27-2016, 11:48 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Riding two-up in a cruiser with clothes, leathers, rain gear AND camping gear can be, at best, challenging, which requires some creative packing.

No real need to buy or carry cooking gear, etc. as most good campgrounds have a little store when you can buy snacks and get hot coffee but the things that you must have is the things that will keep you warm and dry.

A lightweight tent, a ground sheet, sleeping bags and mats can accomplish most of this as long as you can set your tent up before it rains and in an area not in a flood zone!

One last factor these days is personal safety and having the (legal) means to some self defense is a darned good idea as there are some bad folks roaming around these days.

My camping days are probably behind me as my wife, and the guy I normally travel with refuses to camp and I no longer own a tent!

Old 11-28-2016, 09:29 AM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,239 Likes on 8,510 Posts

deleted by poster

Last edited by 71on72; 11-28-2016 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 11-28-2016, 09:32 AM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,239 Likes on 8,510 Posts

I usually stay in KOA. Get a 1 room cabin with cots Sleeps 2-3 comfortable. Just bring sleeping bag. They have electricity, porch, laundry, free showers, convenience store, beer, soda, campfire wood, marshmallows. Most serve hot breakfast. Some serve dinner.
http://koa.com/ways-to-stay/camping-cabins/

Last edited by 71on72; 11-28-2016 at 09:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Traveling light for an overnight!