Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

9 days in TEXAS , where to ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 10:35 PM
saafrican
Advanced
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 9 days in TEXAS , where to ride

Hi Guys .
I have a 9 day break over Christmas,and I don't want to waste this time sitting in Fort Lauderdale .

Also visiting Texas is on my Bucket list !

SO. Im thinking of riding and exploring Texas . Yea I know its a big state .
Thats why I would appreciate any help you can offer for special places to visit , special motorcycle roads and routes that I mustn't miss.

Ive already ridden from Seattle to Fort Lauderdale . I set my GPS to avoid motorways and wandered through fantastic rural central America .

Because of the foul weather in Northern and Eastern USA this time of the year, that area is not an option .
What am I looking for ? Ride to Texas , and just wander around exploring out of the way places and riding fantastic roads .

So any ideas from you Texans would be appreciated

Thanks Guys

Old 12-07-2016, 05:21 AM
94ruck
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

deep south east has tall pine trees and a little warmer air from the coast. Hill country if the weather is nice all around Austin. If the weather really cooperates, the back roads between Dallas and Wichita Falls have great twisties and unique scenery.

The following users liked this post:
saafrican (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 05:53 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

Big Bend, road along the Rio, Ft Davis area I thought was great. Keep the tank full. Some long lonely expanses out there. Lot of history. Guadalupe mt? Western and central areas do have some big open not a lot of exciting expanses.

Second on the hill country, west of San Antone up thru west of Austin. Weather is iffy this time of year, may be great riding, may be wet, may be cold. Should be able to plan around it?

Last edited by road king Q; 12-07-2016 at 05:57 AM.
saafrican (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 01:08 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

In all honesty, I've never been to Texas but since I like history, I think a trip to The Alamo would be kind of cool.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:13 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Ride the 3 sisters outside of Leakey, TX then head down to Big Bend

saafrican (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 02:01 PM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

You'll need to keep a close eye on the weather. Even though we're down south, it still gets cold. I live in Arlington, between Dallas and Fort Worth. For example the high tomorrow is supposed to be 43 and the low overnight is supposed to be 25 which is a little cold for riding.

You'll need to stay way south because I've seen it get pretty cold in the hill country. I was down there once in mid November when a front came through and had to ride home in the 40's. It was very uncomfortable.

So stay south and bring warm gear along with your rain gear. Ride safe.

saafrican (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 03:06 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by robertwy
You'll need to keep a close eye on the weather. Even though we're down south, it still gets cold. I live in Arlington, between Dallas and Fort Worth. For example the high tomorrow is supposed to be 43 and the low overnight is supposed to be 25 which is a little cold for riding.

You'll need to stay way south because I've seen it get pretty cold in the hill country. I was down there once in mid November when a front came through and had to ride home in the 40's. It was very uncomfortable.

So stay south and bring warm gear along with your rain gear. Ride safe.
Great advise to the OP. I lived in Texas for over 20 years and suggest you reconsider 9 days in Texas in late December or early January....especially if it's on your bucket list. Pretty narrow riding areas unless you get really lucky. Now, if you have a camper and are trailering your bike I'd still go for hauling azz to southern AZ and the CA desert country that time of year.

saafrican (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 04:26 PM
Rip53
Advanced
Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Big Bend

saafrican (12-07-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 06:34 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

not a ton of responses??? hmmm?? How ARE you going to get there? Looks like at least 2 days just to ride over, unless you are a iron butt. Are you history, natural attraction, biker bar oriented? How many days there?

I used to live in sw Louisiana and we frequented the hills in the Japer, Livingston, to Lufkin TX area and slightly north of. Lot of history. Staying on the FMs, smaller state roads, had lots of curves, hilly and were usually in pretty good shape back then. Maybe cut through there across into La and hit Natchitoches? Note small roads in La are often rough, well were back then.

Avoid Houston in the rush hours. Miles of stop and go interstate.

Some interesting areas in north TX, but some big stretches of farms or plains in between. Winds out here can be harsh as well. Canyons, Big Spring.... In the hill country mentioned in other posts, there are some real cool little towns, how open this time of year?? If I think of anything else, I'll post again.

saafrican (12-15-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 06:48 AM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

9 days is not much time for Tx. 3 Sisters are good, East Tx is OK just small hills and some twisties, haven't been to Big Bend hear it's nice (beware of weather). Hope it works out.

saafrican (12-15-2016)

Quick Reply: 9 days in TEXAS , where to ride