Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Touring North of the US Border in 2017

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 07:12 AM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
If your an American and thinking of touring in Canada ..... 2017 would be a good year. All National Parks will have free admission (it's our 150th anniversary since Confederation) and the Canadian Dollar is expected to go below 70 cents.

Just remember, eh, beer and cigarettes are expensive, as is Vancouver and Toronto, eh.
Thanks for the heads up!

The Canadian dollar is at .74 right now!

Old 12-25-2016, 12:21 PM
glider11
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Great to know!! Thanks for the heads up I'm headed to AK next summer and definitely will be hitting Banff.
Merry X-Mas,
Glider

Old 12-25-2016, 01:41 PM
JeremyHagen68
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 269 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
Thanks for the reminder, just ordered my free passes from the Parks Canada website:

http://www.commandesparcs-parksorder...et/en/parksb2c
Just ordered mine also so thanks for the information!

The following users liked this post:
Dynamick (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 01:21 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Here is a basic route for the National Parks in BC/Alberta. Start in Kalispel Montana and ride over the Road to the Sun in Glacier then head up to Waterton. If you are camping, tie your tents down good, because it an get windy there. Then head up Highway 22 to Highway 40 and through Peter Lougheed park on your way to Banff.

Downtown Banff is a gong show. Enter at your own discretion, but I personally don't need to go through 27 shops that sell the same crap.

Head north towards Lake Louise and once there head up to the lake. It is a beautiful area and if you so desire take your loved one out for a romantic canoe ride.

Head north towards Jasper. It is only a 2 hour ride, but you can spend an entire day doing it, with stops along the way. Stop at the Columbia Ice fields. There is a cafeteria there, so a decent place to eat, but remember you are in a National Park, in the middle of no where, and the prices will represent that fact. You can take a bus tour onto the Ice if you so desire. I never have. But you can also park and walk to the bottom of the ice. Please do not be a hero and ignore the signs about the crevasses. People die there because they do.

If you are camping, there is a great tent only spot just south of the Ice Fields, but remember it is over 6,000 ft in elevation and will be cold at night, because of the air moving over the ice. Make sure you have warm bags.

The ride from there to Jasper is great. Jasper is a much nicer place than Banff. I would suggest staying there for a few days and enjoying the area. The Gondola ride to the top of Whistlers Mountain is great. As is the ride down to Medicine Lake. But it is not cheap motel in that town in the summer. And reservations are highly recommended. Even the campgrounds fill up early, and i would also recommend reservations even for tenting.

After Jasper head down highway 5 towards Kamloops. Make an east onto highway 1 and stop in Revelstoke. If you have time, take a day there. Ride north up to Mica, and when you get back, ride up to the top of MT Revelstoke national Park.

After that keep heading East towards Golden.

Now for a diversion. Head south to Radium which is about an hour ( I live about 1.5 hours south of Radium in Cranbrook) and head east again through Kootenay National park an back towards Banff. But double back to Field.

That gives you 6 National parks in Canada (plus many Provincial parks) and one in the US. Plan on 7 days if you are going to stop and look at stuff. 3 if you are going to just ride the highways from point to point.

The following 2 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
Billman812 (01-12-2017), Peter Griffin (01-05-2017)
Old 12-30-2016, 01:44 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,664 Likes on 3,227 Posts

^^^^
Good ride plan above; only thing I would add is to make sure your gas tank is full before leaving Banff on the way up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper. You don't want to have to fill up at the station near the Icefields as they just may have the highest gas prices on the planet there.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:55 PM
Clayjenson
Tourer
Received 320 Likes on 128 Posts

I got a felony about 35 yrs ago here in the states. Haven't had a ticket since. Went up to Victoria a few years ago and got taken in a room with a hundred watt lightbulb and interrogated for over an hour. Who can remember details of a night in jail that long ago? Thanks for the offer, but I'll never go North again.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:55 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

^^^^
Good ride plan above; only thing I would add is to make sure your gas tank is full before leaving Banff on the way up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper. You don't want to have to fill up at the station near the Icefields as they just may have the highest gas prices on the planet there.
I always feel sorry for the schmucks in their Motorhomes who came into the park from the East entrance with low fuel loads and need to fuel there. And the food is just as ridiculously priced.

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 12-30-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:00 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Originally Posted by Clayjenson
I got a felony about 35 yrs ago here in the states. Haven't had a ticket since. Went up to Victoria a few years ago and got taken in a room with a hundred watt lightbulb and interrogated for over an hour. Who can remember details of a night in jail that long ago? Thanks for the offer, but I'll never go North again.
Ah, give it another try, ha ha

Old 12-30-2016, 07:36 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Thanks for the reminder, just ordered my free passes from the Parks Canada website:

http://www.commandesparcs-parksorder...et/en/parksb2c
Thanks from me too for that link. Ordered mine and fully expect to use it. From North Idaho and Western Montana, those rides up to BC and Alberta are amazing. Great roads and friendly folks.

Dynamick (12-31-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 09:59 PM
Buzz 3
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

High priced food, high priced gas, high priced beer...... there is more pretty country below the 49th parallel than I could see in a lifetime. No thanks

Dynamick (12-31-2016)

Quick Reply: Touring North of the US Border in 2017