Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Nova Scotia

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 11:03 AM
Unimoose
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hopefully no one is offended by my slight hijack/resurrection of this thread but it's usually better than starting a new one.

I'm looking at doing a trip with my wife to Nova Scotia starting in Yarmouth where the ferry will drop us off. Looking at doing about 3 - 4 days and just taking our time. Of course the HD ride planner put us on either 103 or 101 for the ride but I'd like to stay off the major highway and concentrate more on back roads. How are Rte 3, Yarmouth to Liverpool to Dartmouth, and Rte 1, Port George to Digby to Yarmouth? For the most part these roads seem to be closer to the coast. It will be our first trip out of the states on two wheels and I'd like to make it worth it.

Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
Spy11 (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 12:12 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by Unimoose
Hopefully no one is offended by my slight hijack/resurrection of this thread but it's usually better than starting a new one.

I'm looking at doing a trip with my wife to Nova Scotia starting in Yarmouth where the ferry will drop us off. Looking at doing about 3 - 4 days and just taking our time. Of course the HD ride planner put us on either 103 or 101 for the ride but I'd like to stay off the major highway and concentrate more on back roads. How are Rte 3, Yarmouth to Liverpool to Dartmouth, and Rte 1, Port George to Digby to Yarmouth? For the most part these roads seem to be closer to the coast. It will be our first trip out of the states on two wheels and I'd like to make it worth it.

Thanks!
Now or spring ?

Anyway, on a somewhat unrelated note, I did my bucket list trip around the Cabot Trail last August.

If you're considering that popular run, watch the weather closely. There's a lot of construction going on up there and if wet, those roads will be an unholy mess to do on 2 wheels and there's a lot of it. Fog could be another spoiler this time of year, as could short hours of daylight. Its moosey up there and the fog I refer to isn't reduced visibility fog, its total sensory deprivation fog. You don't ride in it.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:15 PM
Unimoose
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Now or spring ?

Anyway, on a somewhat unrelated note, I did my bucket list trip around the Cabot Trail last August.

If you're considering that popular run, watch the weather closely. There's a lot of construction going on up there and if wet, those roads will be an unholy mess to do on 2 wheels and there's a lot of it. Fog could be another spoiler this time of year, as could short hours of daylight. Its moosey up there and the fog I refer to isn't reduced visibility fog, its total sensory deprivation fog. You don't ride in it.

Looking more like September timeframe more than anything else. How was Cabot Trail? If this trip goes well we'll expand in another year or so to do that one.

Spy11 (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 12:57 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by Unimoose
Looking more like September timeframe more than anything else. How was Cabot Trail? If this trip goes well we'll expand in another year or so to do that one.
If you haven't done the trail, do it ! Do it once and you'll probably do it again. Its truly a spectacular experience.

I chose August because historically its a low fog month for the region. If I seem fog obsessed, its because my wife and I, (we live in New Brunswick), have done the trail "many" times by car and have caught the fog on occasion. Its no joke.

By late next year, construction should largely be completed. Check here:

https://511.novascotia.ca/en/map.htm...&z=1&lb=1&rb=1

,,,, for near term details when you plan. There are various weather forecast sites you can/should check too. At current construction sites, traffic is reduced to alternating one way. Shut off your bike at these stops. They say 10 min max. They bullshit.

Dusk / dawn = moose ! Ride after sunup until before sundown.

When riding the trail, you'll see scores of small yellow speed warnings located just before curves. Take them literally. Curves are tight and cars take em wide so you don't want to hit em so you can't stay in the middle of your lane. After the first couple, you'll understand my caution. Have confidence in your brakes etc. The hills leading down to the hairpin turns are steep, curvy and long.

Accommodations: "Aren't the region's strong point".

Despite my cautions, don't be overly concerned about making the trip. Watch the weather, ride conservatively and you'll experience a one of a kind coastal run you'll never forget.

Contact us via this thread as you plan. There are sure to be a number of local riders who can be of help. We Maritimers tend to be congenial bastards who love to give directions and recommend good spots for eating lobster. Why your crowd insists on putting the sons-a-bitches in a chowder we'll never know !!

Cummon up !

Spy11 (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 07:13 PM
Spy11
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Hwy 1 is a much better road though route 3 gets you closer to the coast more often (easily seen from the map). I live in Halifax and have pretty well covered every road in the province and the Maritimes for that matter. Cabot Trail ... my favorite road here out east. Must do on a sunny day and go counter clockwise so much easier access in and out of lookoffs. Might as well do Fortress Louisbourg as well while close (could do on a wetter day if necessary). September and October are fine during the day and you are off-season so easier to find accommodations. Feel free to contact me before or when you are here if you need any assistance or guidance. Privateers (Halifax) and Ramsays (Sydney) are both great. Dealer and service.

Unimoose (12-01-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 12:42 PM
puckoach
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Nova Scotia

I have posted a bit more on this subject, on the Road Glide Forum.

As this is my busy season, I will be a bit short here.

Nova Scotia is a vast area, with a lot of great riding. But, it takes a lot of time and miles.

We landed on Sunday evening, as ferry wasn't going on Saturday. Drove an hour to a motel. Took as all of next day to get to Port Hawkesbury, at base of Cabot Trail. Yes, some stops. But, maybe 2.5 hours total. About 600 miles, mostly on slab.

Cabot, minus the construction is pretty good. The construction sux. We planned two days, and it's certainly not enough. We skipped the Fort, did go into the mine. Be very mindful that everything closes early.

We took most of a day to get back to Halifax. Touring a bit on northern shore. Halifax is awesome. Our two days there no where near enough.

Took portions of the Lighthouse Trail, back to Yarmouth. Was going to tour north coast next day, but rain and fog didn't clear until after 1pm.

To be sure, would need another 8 days of touring to really "do" Nova Scotia.

The Ferry cancelations hurt us badly. They stopped running on Saturday's - laying over in Portland. So need to arrive on Friday/Sunday, or Leave NS Saturday/Monday. Really screwed up all of our reservations, and cost us a lot of $. There was 10 of us, so not easy fixes getting 5 rooms.

We were told, it was the best weather week in years. Last few days of July, and early August. Use a "Premier" credit card, to get best exchange.

I love it there, and will continue to go back many more times.

Good Luck Eh

Unimoose (12-14-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 08:54 AM
kjc
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I live on the Cabot Trail and put 10000kms on the bike each year so I do ride around NS a lot.I recommend the old route 1 from Yarmouth to Windsor.Then taking the shore road to Truro.From Truro to New Glasgow take the Old Trans canada or head up to Tatamagouche and follow the shore to Pictou.After new Glasgow take the highway until you see the sign for route 4 through Arisaig and Cape George going to Antigonish.From Antigonish about 20 kms of divided highway driving until you see route 4 again heading towards Havre Boucher and comes out at the Canso Causeway.Cross the Causeway and Take the Highway to the St anne's turn off.This is now the Cabot Trail,do the loop until you reach Margaree Harbour and take route 19 up to the Canso Causeway.You can now take the highway all the way back either to Yarmouth or through New Brunswick into Calais or Houlton.Calais is better IMO and take route 1 back to Portland.

This trip would provide many hours of enjoyable riding long the shores and through small villages with very little traffic and pretty good roads.

Highway construction along the trail is for the most part completed and should be all done by September 2018.

A great guy to talk to is cabottrailbiker.com ,he can provide details into accomodations,places to eat,etc.
Let me know if I can help with any more info

Unimoose (12-27-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 11:43 AM
Ridem-Rhody
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

KJC - Researching CT for mid July. Coming from Boston area so would use ferry from Portland. Once departing ferry where would you recommend to stay first night? Plan on staying at Keltic Quay in Whycocomagh for Day 2 then do the CT counterclockwise on day 3 and find a place to stay. How long of ride would be back to Ferry in Yarmouth using highway the following day? Thanks

Old 12-28-2017, 03:28 PM
Spy11
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Esquire motel in Bedford is 3-4 hours from Yarmouth depending on how much 2-lane highway you take. Can go the #1 or #3 to Halifax area. Halifax to Wycog is only 3.5 hours direct. Causeway to Yarmouth is 5-6 hours direct.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:53 AM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

Planning a 2018 ride and thinking about taking a ferry from Maine over, it looks like the CAT is running again. We went across on that just before 9-11 and thought they had taken that out of service. We would be coming from Pa and would like to ride some of NS before heading for the CT. We did the Cabot Trail in 2012 and rode around the Bay of Fundy but did not have the time to go south into NS. The time it takes to ride around we could be across on the CAT and be able to enjoy some of the Mainland. Has anyone used the CAT ferry lately they do not have any pricing information on the website. Lastly how is the Wharf Rat Rally should we plan our time around that or stay away.

Quick Reply: Nova Scotia