Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Lorton Va. to Nova Scotia

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 09:30 AM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

Also on your way...in Newburgh, New York:

http://www.motorcyclepediamuseum.org/

Old 04-12-2017, 02:57 PM
puckoach
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

First off, let me say you don't have enough time.

We plan our routes, to - take advantage/see the most of - the farthest point away.

In our case this summer, we are going to the Cabot Trail. Leaving from Boston on Saturday, same day ferry to Yarmouth. Returning on Sunday the following weekend, by Ferry and home same day. That's 9 days total, 7 days in Nova Scotia, and We will not see/do even half, of what we would like.

We spent the same amount of time last summer, leaving Boston to Burlington VT, thru Hero and up to boarder. Ausable Chasm, Lake Placid area, Lake George, and Catskills. Again, didn't get to even half of the great riding. (BTW, if you go there, Drive UP Whiteface)

My suggestion, is to focus on the point of the trip, and cover it as best as possible in the time available. A buck shot approach, will have you missing too much.

Heck, from Danvers north of Boston starting on Route 1, there is an awesome ride with a ton of stops. Crane Estate and Beach, Newburyport, Salisbury and Hampton Beach. Rt 1a, b, c along the NH coast line - ON THE COAST LINE - make a mistake, go to fast, end up in the ocean. Continue thru Ports mouth, onto Rt 103 in Kittery to York, 1A thru York Sands, Nubble Lighthouse, York Beach, Shore Road to Kennbuncport, Bentley's in Arundel. All of this you can drive thru in a day, but reasonable stops to see, and it's 3-4 days.

Good Luck - a dozen of us will be in NS the
first week of August.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:56 PM
dave713
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=puckoach;16129930]First off, let me say you don't have enough time.

We plan our routes, to - take advantage/see the most of - the farthest point away.

It looks that way,there are to many things to see.Now on the way back we may go to Boston.Getting back to Lorton Va. may be a pain.Thanks for the info.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:10 PM
PingJockey
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by puckoach
First off, let me say you don't have enough time.

We plan our routes, to - take advantage/see the most of - the farthest point away..
Yeah, as far as the scenery and stops on the way. But I think the point the guys that live here are making is that 95 is not the best way to get from DC to CT/MA, at least from our experience. That "best way" considers speed, safety, and scenery. The biggest problem is that one never knows when 95 will be jammed, so it's usually a bad plan to count on it as the "fast way." The 15 to 30/81 plan doesn't deal with any big city traffic, it's a nicer ride, and safer by a factor of ten (at least!). It's about an hour or so longer, sure, but I've been stuck on 95 for an hour on a Saturday morning and only traveled about 10 miles, so it's something to consider.

So back to the OP's original questions o fhow to bypass the metropolis cities: This is the "fast and reliable" route that I used to take to Providence quite a bit. No stops or scenic tours, just straight shot around the big cities:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lort...dc42f8!1m0!3e0

Good luck whichever way you take, it sounds like an awesome trip from how people are describing N.S.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:41 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

To skip I-95: From Lorton take the Fairfax County Parkway to US 50 West. At the traffic circle, get on US 15 North. Take the Bypass around Leesburg to Point of Rocks. 15 is a great road all the way to Harrisburg.

Things to see along the way north (depending on how much time you have)

Harpers Ferry, WV
Gettysburg National Battlefield Park (right off 15)
H-D Factory in York, PA (not far off 15 on US 30)
Woodstock Festival site in Bethel, NY (a fun small museum there)
MLB Hall of Fame in Cooperstown

Route 9 across VT and NH is a nice road.
If you have time, the Kancamagus Highway (112) between Lincoln and Conway, NH is a great road

Wiers Beach (the site of the Laconia Motorcycle Rally, the nation's first, dating to 1916) is a nice stop and sits on the shore of Lake Winnipesaukee.

Have fun!

Last edited by TKDKurt; 04-19-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:03 PM
Spy11
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I live in Bedford, NS near Halifax and have been cross-continent 3 times (US and Canada). Just ask if you think I can help.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:40 PM
dave713
Cruiser

Looks like we are going to take the ferry from St Johns to Bigdy.Then around NS to the ferry to Prince Edwards Island.Then I don't know.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:07 PM
Tnmountainrider
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Where does the ferry run from to Yarmouth, NS? I was planning on a trip to NS and Cape Breton. I will be leaving From East Tennessee and headed to the Maine area.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:22 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by dave713
We are planning on taking the autotrain from Florida to Lorton Va.Then head to Maine & Nova Scotia.We have 3 weeks for this trip,but what is a good route to bypass big cities like Phili,NY,Boston?Where are some good places to go between Lorton Va. and Cabot trail?Thanks

You can take the ferry from Portland, ME to Yarmouth, NS
. It will save you a lot of boring driving on four lanes and land you in Yarmouth, NS where you can take secondary roads up the coast to Halifax. This route offers the best riding on coastal roads and will save you time droning on divided highway. Along the way suggest making stops in Lunenburg to see the waterfront and Bluenose, Mahone Bay and Peggy's Cove. In Halifax the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic is a must see. There are also a few abandoned WW1 and WW2 naval fortifications you'll bypass. If you have the time continuing on to Newfoundland is a great trip. You'll need to take the ferry from Cape Breton (where the Cabot Trail is). On the drive back you can avoid the ferry, and drive around or take one from Digby, NS to Saint John,NB which puts you near the Calais, ME border crossing.

http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/...ravelBrochures
http://www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/nb...ineraries.aspx
http://www.novascotia.com/about-nova...r-travel-guide
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/canada/...-national-park
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/canada/...ck/fundy-isles
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/canada/...se-aux-meadows

Suggest using plastic rather than trading for cash as everywhere in Canada will take credit or debit cards as long as they are Interac enabled. Only issue is credit card exchange rates are not as good. Currently $1US=$1.36CDN so the US dollar goes a long way in Canada.

Last edited by fat_tony; 05-17-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:04 PM
dave713
Cruiser

we are leaving Sanford fl on the Autotrain June 22,and returing on the train July 12.We have only booked hotels for first two nights of our trip,but we need a room for July 11 near Lorton we have to be at the trainstation by 1:30 on the 12th.Were would a good place to stay near Lorton?Thanks for any info.It's going be here before we know it.

Quick Reply: Lorton Va. to Nova Scotia