Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Texas road question(s)....

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 06:49 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,106 Likes on 8,922 Posts
Default Texas road question(s)....

Highway 170 from Presidio to Terlinqua... what is that like? Right on the Rio Grand which makes it interesting to me. And maybe a nice way to get into Big Bend National Park.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:02 PM
Turnipseed
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice road. Lots of elevation changes. I've ridden it several times and have always enjoyed it. Enjoy Big Bend!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Turnipseed:
CanadianRocky (03-12-2017), tphillips (03-13-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 08:29 PM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

do it!! one of my favs on that trip. Stopped and could see the rafts far below at one spot

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 12:24 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Going that direction I'd recommend starting in Fort Davis, Alpine or Marfa. Presidio doesn't really have much going for it. Also recommend the Fort Davis Mountain Loop road that goes past Fort Davis State Park and the McDonald Observatory. Nice ride I'm sure you'll enjoy. If you have an interest in astronomy the observatory has popular star parties on many nights that take advantage of the area being so isolated by light pollution.

tphillips (03-13-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 12:28 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by mtgriz
Going that direction I'd recommend starting in Fort Davis, Alpine or Marfa. Presidio doesn't really have much going for it. Also recommend the Fort Davis Mountain Loop road that goes past Fort Davis State Park and the McDonald Observatory. Nice ride I'm sure you'll enjoy. If you have an interest in astronomy the observatory has popular star parties on many nights that take advantage of the area being so isolated by light pollution.
Thanks. I have been into Astronomy since a child. It is definitely on the list. I will check out the loop.

I also plan on doing a lot more camping this year. I will need recommendations for a camp site around Fort Davis and in Big Bend itself.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:36 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
Thanks. I have been into Astronomy since a child. It is definitely on the list. I will check out the loop.

I also plan on doing a lot more camping this year. I will need recommendations for a camp site around Fort Davis and in Big Bend itself.
Fort Davis State Park would be a great choice for camping. In the park, Chisos Basin is the best. You're going to like that country there....nice contrast to what we have in North Idaho and BC. As for star parties, you may have to make a reservation online and check when they are scheduled.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:28 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Here is a rough route through the area. Starts in Alamogordo, all the way to Fort Davis State Park, set up camp and stay two nights. Then onto Big Bend, stay two to three nights (probably do some hiking for photography), then onto Hill country. Find a campground there and stay a few days also.

Suggestions please on roads that I have marked, or have not. Also, things to do and see along the way.

Thanks.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:53 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior

I'd say you've got a nice route roughed in. FM roads (farm to market) and RR roads (ranch roads) are excellent. In your travels if you see one headed in a direction that looks interesting to you, take it. I was going to add that they're all paved but one rare exception occurred to me and that's the FM road that goes out to Big Bend Ranch State Park off the River Road (170). I suspect in the Big Bend country there are a couple more.

I'll just add a couple items to consider given your interest in photography and just cool places in Big Bend, IMO, of course:
Santa Elena Canyon, Castelón
Boquillas Canyon and the river crossing by raft to the little village over in Mexico.
Hiking South Rim and the geology of Chisos Basin
In Terlingua: old cemetery, sitting on the front porch with a cold one at sundown, dinner
and drinks at the Starlight restaurant/theater/music venue
Think you said you're going in May so you may have some cactus/agave blooms at the higher elevations to shoot
I've found riding at night is dangerous because of wildlife. Always like catching javallinas
rooting around and if you look at the park's website you'll see other critters there. Heck,
there are even occasional bear sightings....but like teddy bears compared to our Grizzlies.

Much has been written about the Hill Country already available in Search.

I'm targeting mid-April for a ride that what way for this year. Like you I want to get back to more camping....especially with this fancy, new tent I bought :-) I'll post up a few pics and some better info next month that may be of interest. From the years I lived in Texas, this area is what I've missed the most. Next is the Hill Country. Good times ahead for you.

tphillips (03-13-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 05:49 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by mtgriz
I'd say you've got a nice route roughed in. FM roads (farm to market) and RR roads (ranch roads) are excellent. In your travels if you see one headed in a direction that looks interesting to you, take it. I was going to add that they're all paved but one rare exception occurred to me and that's the FM road that goes out to Big Bend Ranch State Park off the River Road (170). I suspect in the Big Bend country there are a couple more.

I'll just add a couple items to consider given your interest in photography and just cool places in Big Bend, IMO, of course:
Santa Elena Canyon, Castelón
Boquillas Canyon and the river crossing by raft to the little village over in Mexico.
Hiking South Rim and the geology of Chisos Basin
In Terlingua: old cemetery, sitting on the front porch with a cold one at sundown, dinner
and drinks at the Starlight restaurant/theater/music venue
Think you said you're going in May so you may have some cactus/agave blooms at the higher elevations to shoot
I've found riding at night is dangerous because of wildlife. Always like catching javallinas
rooting around and if you look at the park's website you'll see other critters there. Heck,
there are even occasional bear sightings....but like teddy bears compared to our Grizzlies.

Much has been written about the Hill Country already available in Search.

I'm targeting mid-April for a ride that what way for this year. Like you I want to get back to more camping....especially with this fancy, new tent I bought :-) I'll post up a few pics and some better info next month that may be of interest. From the years I lived in Texas, this area is what I've missed the most. Next is the Hill Country. Good times ahead for you.
Thanks, good info. It will very valuable when I get there. It will be nice to have some highlights to look for.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:52 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Don't pick up any hitchhikers unless you're taking them all the way to Canada.

Quick Reply: Texas road question(s)....