Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Louisiana to South Dakota for sturgis

Old 04-03-2017, 06:37 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by bulkman2008
I understand what you mean about sitting it out after awhile enough is enough I just want to go at least one time in my life been wanting to go now that I am retired I think it's time .
You definitely should experience it. I tell everyone if they have any interest at all in going to the Sturgis Rally that they really should experience it at least once.
The Black Hills area still has my vote as some of the best riding, for me it is one of my favorite areas. So many great rides each day, we usually stay around the Deadwood area and plan a different ride of 100-200 miles each day. My issue with the rally is its just to many bikes which takes some of the enjoyment out of the rides. For me now, I like to go a week before the rally and while there is still a lot of bikes around, the roads, gas stations etc... are not as crowded. Stay for a day or two of the rally to hit main street and then head out. With that said there is nothing like the feeling of getting on any road in the area and seeing nothing but bikes with maybe the occasional car here or there

Old 04-03-2017, 11:14 AM
Flatlander74
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

It is a fairly easy and enjoyable 3 day ride. Just plan your route to allow you to see the sights you want to visit. Rain is always possible on a trip but in the Plains the wind is usually more of a problem. Generally wind from the south so plan your east to west route with that in mind.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:56 PM
DaveinHouston
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bulkman2008
This year a friend and myself or going to ride to Sturgis from south Louisiana some say it's too far to ride that we should trailer but we think that's half the fun , riding the bikes up there . I hope we aren't wrong !
Riding to Sturgis alone this year from Houston. Taking the Colorado route, staying in Hill City. Been five times in recent years but always trailered. I'll be 65 this Fall so if I'm going to make the ride now's the time. Just bought a '17 Ultra Limited Low and it's a game changer for this 5'8", 30" inseam "old fart" rider. I was ready to give up riding or go to a trike. No more. Love this bike. Best Harley I've ever ridden.
If you'd like to ride with me give me a shout. Leaving on the 3rd, arriving Saturday.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:09 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mxdad
You definitely should experience it. I tell everyone if they have any interest at all in going to the Sturgis Rally that they really should experience it at least once.
The Black Hills area still has my vote as some of the best riding, for me it is one of my favorite areas. So many great rides each day, we usually stay around the Deadwood area and plan a different ride of 100-200 miles each day. My issue with the rally is its just to many bikes which takes some of the enjoyment out of the rides. For me now, I like to go a week before the rally and while there is still a lot of bikes around, the roads, gas stations etc... are not as crowded. Stay for a day or two of the rally to hit main street and then head out. With that said there is nothing like the feeling of getting on any road in the area and seeing nothing but bikes with maybe the occasional car here or there
We're less than 450 miles from the Hills so we might make the run 2-3 times a summer. The best trip is still around Rally time. Just being part of so many bikes heading west is amassing.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:57 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I live close to Amarillo, Texas and it is an easy two day ride from here. I have found that my key to happiness on a motorcycle was a Corbin saddle. Seven hundred mile days were not uncomfortable for me at all. Not really what I wanted, but it was doable. Start early and stay hydrated. Point being that if you can get to Amarillo or OKC on your first day, it is about a 2.5 day ride without beating yourself up.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:56 PM
RutRoo
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you will pay no attention to the "COLD BEER" signs along the way (they get closer together the closer to sturgis) you will be there before you know it.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:52 PM
tonymontanna1983
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm not far from you at all and I rode all the way 3 of the last 4 years. Nothing to it. I like to arrive a couple of days before the rally starts so you see more of the animals (buffalo, chipmunks, mountain goats).

I usually slab it up I-35 until I get to Highway 2 in Grand Island, Nebraska, very pretty.

Then its highway 385 on up to Rapid City. I made it in 36 hours the first time I went, now I take my time and allow 3 days. Hit me up, maybe we can ride together. We only live 45 minutes apart!

Old 06-06-2017, 12:08 PM
hellbilly78
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive done it twice from south central pa ive done it in 2 days and 3 days. Riding there and back to me was always the best part of the trip. When people ask me how sturgis is its always talkin more about the ride out and back. Gas stations turn into mini bike rallies to the crazy weather you could encounter to dumpy motels that you dont have much of a choice to stay in all make the experience. If you dont ride it you will regret it. I almost trailered mine last year due to back issues but im damn glad my pride got in the way and i rode out anyways. I actually felt better haha

Old 06-06-2017, 12:34 PM
Springer66
Advanced
Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

This year will be my 9th time to Sturgis. On my first trip I ran into some guys going the other way two days before it started. They said " Its all about the trip, get a hat, a tee shirt, a pin, have a beer, look at the girls and hit the road" very true words.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:02 PM
dukdog
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Baby boy (42) and I are making the trip. I will start in Houston and meet him in Plano. We plan to ride through New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming then into S. Dakota. Can't wait to get started.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Louisiana to South Dakota for sturgis