Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Where would you go with 3 weeks on your hands?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 10:48 PM
Mike flies
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Where would you go with 3 weeks on your hands?

Looks like I might have this enviable problem. Starting point is Atlanta, departure date 10 or 14 May. Is coast to coast too big a bite for just 3 weeks? Trying to avoid interstate droning, major congestion, and my 2 not so good buddies cold and wet. What says the more experienced tourers?

Last edited by Mike flies; 05-24-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:45 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

North Rim Grand Canyon

Arches National Park

I have done 4 Pacific Northwest tours and an East Coast tour from SE Louisiana. My $0.02 opinion is that a coast to coast in 3 weeks does not give you enough time to really appreciate the beauty of this country you are riding through. My first PNW tour was 7 months. The more I saw, the more I wanted to see. If you need to do a coast to coast to get an "Overview" it might be worth iron-assing your way through it, but I do this for Beauty, Fun, and Adventure, not to prove to anybody what kind of man I am. How about Moab, Utah? 80 degrees today, 50 tonight. Two of the "Big 5" National Parks, Arches and Canyonlands, within a days ride of each other. No rain in the 10 day forecast. About 1800 miles, 257 miles a day for 7 days, 7 days to roam and sight see, 257 a day for 7 days to get back home. You could easily include North Rim of the Grand Canyon, just 355 miles from Moab, on the route home if the weather stays good, but at 9,000 feet the Kaibab Plateau might still be a little cool this time of year (67 deg F today, 38 tonight).

The following 2 users liked this post by Fireax:
Mike flies (04-17-2017), tphillips (04-20-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 06:42 AM
Mike flies
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Fireax
I have done 4 Pacific Northwest tours and an East Coast tour from SE Louisiana. My $0.02 opinion is that a coast to coast in 3 weeks does not give you enough time to really appreciate the beauty of this country you are riding through. My first PNW tour was 7 months. The more I saw, the more I wanted to see. If you need to do a coast to coast to get an "Overview" it might be worth iron-assing your way through it, but I do this for Beauty, Fun, and Adventure, not to prove to anybody what kind of man I am. How about Moab, Utah? 80 degrees today, 50 tonight. Two of the "Big 5" National Parks, Arches and Canyonlands, within a days ride of each other. No rain in the 10 day forecast. About 1800 miles, 257 miles a day for 7 days, 7 days to roam and sight see, 257 a day for 7 days to get back home. You could easily include North Rim of the Grand Canyon, just 355 miles from Moab, on the route home if the weather stays good, but at 9,000 feet the Kaibab Plateau might still be a little cool this time of year (67 deg F today, 38 tonight).
I was thinking the same thing, I'd much rather do a 250 mile day and stop 15 times to take in the scenery than a 600 mile day on I-20. The top of my list was PCH, but when I added a few stops in between it led me to where I'd have to do a lot of 600 mile days in order to relax and enjoy some of the sights. I've got no desire to be in a hurry. I'll have to decide if I'll keep it on the east coast and really explore, or hit the Ozarks and then haul *** through the midwest en route to the good stuff, but go only as far west as you suggested.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:06 AM
jrrarr
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm doing Colorado, Grand Canyon and Utah in August. I just put in a reservation for a room with a view in the National Park Lodge on the North Rim and they called back and said they might have one available.......in 2018. Will be staying in a room without a view, sounded lucky to get that. Similar experience last year on Jackson Lake and in Glacier, rooms booked before Memorial Day for August trip and pickins were slim. Just a heads up if you're looking at overnights in National Parks to decide where you're going, and when, and get the reservations made.

As far as where to go, there must be an itch you need to scratch. I created most of my itches by reading motorcycle forums. Choose the primary objective of the trip and the rest will fall together. I like to haul through the "fly over" states (assuming you have the equip.easily available) because you can cover in two days with a truck and a buddy or two what would take 4 on a motorcycle.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:03 AM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

So much stuff to see... Someone suggested CO. Great riding and scenery west of I25. You could spend some time in AR (north of I30, west of US67/167), north central NM (Taos area), and CO pretty easy in three weeks.

My epic journeys have been 5000+ miles in about three weeks. About 350 miles per day - some days a little more, some a little less. Stop whenever I feel like it and gawk at the scenery. No schedule. I avoid interstates and cities when possible. That's been solo. Traveling with others might mean less miles per day.

I plan out the trip for overnight stops but if I don't make it there, it's not important. If I miss a turn and go two hours the "wrong" way, it's not important (except keeping an eye on gas!). Some of the best sights and roads have been from a wrong turn. No GPS - Rand-McNally road atlas.

On a trip that long, you're going to get wet. Mountain temps at altitude could be in the 30s and 40s overnight. Mountain weather can change quickly. Check the weather forecasts before you start the day. Take rain gear and stuff for cool temps. It's really nice with temps in the 50s and looking at stuff like this:

Name:  DSC00786.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  1.10 MB

Last edited by gtmalone; 04-17-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:12 AM
Mike flies
Cruiser

Perhaps going out west would be best left for a time I've got a month+. Any thoughts on going up towards St. John's, NL? Even that might be a bit too far. It would be a bit brisk but not unbearably cold. I have no reason for picking St. John's other than it's there. 100% open to other east coast options.

Last edited by Mike flies; 04-17-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:20 AM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

If you never been, you can easily do CO/AZ/NM/AZ......but unless you are adverse to trailering, I would trailer to somewhere on the eastern slopes of the Rockies.....do the 4 States with lots of time to spare....Best Westerns all the way, biker friendly and not too expensive....

Old 04-17-2017, 11:20 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

If you go out West, You should check road conditions, depending on where you decide to go. I think you would need to stay south in May, the roads on the high passes would might be closed due to snow this early in then season .

Last edited by Mikey 1450; 04-17-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:26 AM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

Can't go wrong with the Northeast either. Blue Ridge Parkway, Skyline drive through NC and VA. Upstate NY, VT, NH, ME are all nice. Lake Placid, Lake Champlain, Lake George areas are beautiful and great roads.

Plan on fewer miles per day up there on the back roads. Lots of small towns close together.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:56 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default 3 Weeks

I would recommend new England and Nova Scotia, especially the Cabot Trail.
New England is a very pretty place. Western Mass, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine are wonderful places to ride. Check out pics from northern Nova Scotia.

http://www.cabottrail.travel/

The following users liked this post:
tphillips (04-20-2017)

Quick Reply: Where would you go with 3 weeks on your hands?